Should I strangle my wife & neighbour? (its not what you think)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToxicGasCan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picture this: you're out for work , you get back home and your chainsaw's missing - ok
Ask your woman about it and she says she lent the saw to our neighbour 'cause he had to take down a pine - ok
You run next door to get it back , only to notice that the pine is still intact and the chainsaw's bar ain't even dirty , though it stinks of gas - fishy

I asked him , (we all recognize it, anyway) "did you flood my saw?" , he was like "nah , it has some major issue" , i quickly made sure the switch was on and choke was off and gave it a couple of rips .. piston literally sounded as if it was submerged in water

After a heated argument with him I brought my saw back home (my usual Alpina 070S from the 70s) , already resigned that unflooding these saws is pure hell and not as easy as my other saws , I magically receive a phone call from my neighbour , confessing his sins , that b@stard.

Apparently he wasn't satisfied with the saw's RPMs , "too low" he said [without considering that the Alpina070s had lower RPMs and more torque than modern saws] , and as soon as he started it , he proceeded directly to adjust the H screw and he rev'ed it up until he heard a loud "POP" sound and the saw died -

I mean , I still haven't managed to start this thing , and a couple of days ago it worked like a charm , it did for 40 years dammit , I get a nice spark but it floods so easily , what worries me the most though , is that blast sound he heard while he was revving and adjusting the H screw, while the engine was cold my guys , while the engine was cooold

I'm not happy right now

some folks can tear up a crow bar in a bowl of whipped cream...

Gotta add that to my notebook HA!

I never had any problems with any of my past neighbours before , and I always lent my tools without any bad surprises - but I won't be tripping on my feet next time , definitely learned my lesson

Still - I don't give up easily , I believe this baby could come back to life , you could throw this saw into an active volcano , and it still would start!
Not so sure what that "pop" sound he was yappin' about was - that's what concerns me

When my other saws flood , I used to pull out the spark plug , dry it , start the air compressor to blow within the cylinder whilst making the piston move - 10 rips and they would start - though when these old Alpinas flood? jesus , I used to take down the carburetor aswell to blow air within the crankcase , and after 40 rips , it still wouldn't start -
Will probably let it sit some days or something to make sure all the gas evaporates well (after those days will go by , I should start it WITHOUT the choke engaged right?)

Picture this: you're out for work , you get back home and your chainsaw's missing - ok
Ask your woman about it and she says she lent the saw to our neighbour 'cause he had to take down a pine - ok
You run next door to get it back , only to notice that the pine is still intact and the chainsaw's bar ain't even dirty , though it stinks of gas - fishy

I asked him , (we all recognize it, anyway) "did you flood my saw?" , he was like "nah , it has some major issue" , i quickly made sure the switch was on and choke was off and gave it a couple of rips .. piston literally sounded as if it was submerged in water

After a heated argument with him I brought my saw back home (my usual Alpina 070S from the 70s) , already resigned that unflooding these saws is pure hell and not as easy as my other saws , I magically receive a phone call from my neighbour , confessing his sins , that b@stard.

Apparently he wasn't satisfied with the saw's RPMs , "too low" he said [without considering that the Alpina070s had lower RPMs and more torque than modern saws] , and as soon as he started it , he proceeded directly to adjust the H screw and he rev'ed it up until he heard a loud "POP" sound and the saw died -

I mean , I still haven't managed to start this thing , and a couple of days ago it worked like a charm , it did for 40 years dammit , I get a nice spark but it floods so easily , what worries me the most though , is that blast sound he heard while he was revving and adjusting the H screw, while the engine was cold my guys , while the engine was cooold

I'm not happy right now
Man i feel terrible for you
Yep you should cane both your wife and your neighbour, and he's a ********** for not admitting his fault

Sounds like your piston is toast and what you're describing is definitely both intake and exhaust side is worn and gone. Hope you can salvage the cylinder

What a bad day

I'm not sure if your wife is in fault here.
Unless you clearly stated "never lend out my tools to anyone and specifically to our retard neighbor".
Who would guess he would do such a thing. . .

I'm not happy right now
Yet another reason I won't be married. Girlfriend knows very well that my stuff is MY stuff, and she has no more right to loan any of it out than I have any right to loan her stuff out. Respect me, respect the hard work and sacrifice that I put into acquiring these tools, respect that I use these tools to give us a better life, DON'T spit on that by loaning them out to people.

Can't do that? On your way, then. Not being married makes all that easier.

I definitely think the neighbor is the one who needs a beating. You don't mess around with someone else's stuff.
That's literally the match that started the fire , I told him that if I would borrow someone's saw I would never ever dare to screw around with the carburetor , especially on a collector's item , and especially if I'm NOT an expert , period.

That ticked him off - which is ridicolous , I'm the one that got jacked

I'm not sure if your wife is in fault here.
Unless you clearly stated "never lend out my tools to anyone and specifically to our retard neighbor".
Who would guess he would do such a thing. . .

It is MY fault
As iowagold stated , I should keep my tool shed locked from anyone but me , as much as it pains me to behave like a sergeant with my own family , I really have no choice -
And I though that the retarded neighbour thing was just a myth , definitely not

"Neither a lender 'nor a borrower be........."

Pull the muffler and get a look at the exhaust side of the piston......that will likely tell the tale.
Absolutely Cantdog , will do that, during this week I'm gonna be taking her all apart , I need to check the condition of the piston too , I feel like its time to replace it anyway , it's still the original one from 1974 - all I noticed from the spark plug hole and carburetor side , is that the top of the piston is completely charred and it has a brown-ring stain all around , which surprises me , 'cause I always used to check on this saw twice a month and the piston was never as encrusted as today -

Will remove the muffler when I'll get back home , thanks guys! Still angry though

Man sorry to hear about what happened. There is a very short list of people that I'll borrow any saw to. Other wise it comes with an operator. Hope If it needs parts your neighbor is good enough to open his wallet and get the parts for you.

The neighbor needs a beating, but the wife is more at fault in my mind. I expect people outside my household to be complete and utter idiots and retards, able to break a cannon ball in a padded room. Our job is to maintain our household in such a way that those idiots have no access. The wife violated that.

Home Depot rents out saws, and there are several on Amazon in the $120 range.

Thinking on it more, maybe your poor saw gave it's life to save your neighbor's life. Anyone who doesn't have their own saw, and clearly has no clue about tuning a saw, probably doesn't have the experience to safely drop a tree anyway.

That's literally the match that started the fire , I told him that if I would borrow someone's saw I would never ever dare to screw around with the carburetor , especially on a collector's item , and especially if I'm NOT an expert , period.

That ticked him off - which is ridicolous , I'm the one that got jacked
Sometimes the best DEfense is a good OFFense.

I'm with MontanaResident -- this dickweed neighbor needs a wood shampoo, and that's BEFORE you send him the bill for the rebuild.

He also needs all his carb screwdrivers permanently confiscated.

Thinking on it more, maybe your poor saw gave it's life to save your neighbor's life. Anyone who doesn't have their own saw, and clearly has no clue about tuning a saw, probably doesn't have the experience to safely drop a tree anyway.
Well considering the fact that the saw hasn't got a proper chain brake , and it weights a ton , you're probably right , I could of ended up in big trouble - still that was the only saw I truly cherished with all of my heart , at least I'm alive gents - for now

Rage-texting my wife over the phone , sheesh - its gonna be a looong day -
If I need spare parts , he's 100% paying for 'em , already agreed , and the spare parts for my saw DON'T come cheap :)

Back