Show us your stumps!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Stumps you're proud of, stumps you're not so proud of, post them up! We can learn a lot from them. Tell the story if you wish.

I'll start with one I'm proud of. This was a moderate/heavy leaner over power lines. I was really close to telling them to get someone with a bucket, but decided to fall it. Natural lay was directly into the power lines and the tips of the branches were over the 4 lines by about 5 or so feet. I set a line opposite the lean and tensioned up to take a bit of weight off of it. Because I had to fall it further than 90º to clear the lines I set a pull rope in it about 3/4 the way up. Set a block with a loopie on a sturdy tree and hooked the end to my truck. I had a window of about 30' to put the tree before it got into some trees we didn't want to bust up. Big area for a straight tree...looks really tiny with a big ol lean lol.

Made an open face cut to keep it on the stump as long as possible, made the back cut to a thick hinge, set a wedge, and nibbled while the driver kept steady pressure on it. She went down perfectly no drama.

sA2ytrE.jpg

This was just this last weekend. Large hard maple that was splitting down the trunk between two co-dominant stems. The neighbor had already put a chain between the two to try and keep the one side from breaking off and hitting his pole barn. Unfortunate that this tree was splitting like this, beautiful tree and could have stayed if it wasn't for it threatening the pole barn.

Nice to have that chain already placed as it gave me a good area to pull from that locked both stems together. Allowed me to throw ball instead of climbing it which saved the client some money.

Tree was back weighted and about 32" across even at the hinge, so the face cut was a bit more difficult. I don't run into too many trees where I have to cut from both sides to put in the face cut with a 28" bar. I put in the back cut on the low side of the tree, set the hinge where I wanted it and sunk two wedges over there. Cut from the high side and let him pull it over with the tractor. The tree was back weighted, not a ton, but on these maples, the trunk is so much of the weight, it would have taken a bunch of wedge banging to get it to go. I had two wedges sunk completely before I told him to roll with it, and it still took a decent pull to get it over.

VmhVDFC.jpg

New to the site, been a casual viewer for years always looking for little tricks of the trade, advice etc etc. Came across this thread and I'm very excited to see this. Showing the stump shot and explaining the assessment of the tree is awesome to see. Some nice looking cuts here. A lot of times I view threads and/or youtube videos of folks teaching/preaching their ways without proper ppe or techniques which make me cringe at times and wonder how more people don't get hurt with these powerful tools. Good stuff

Tree isn't big enough to put the saw on it for comparison, but this was a 10" spruce with heavy canopy lean towards my chicken coop and shed. When the wind blew, thought it was going to rip everything apart if it fell. Small Humboldt face cut and finished it with a boring back cut. Not a lot of large trees where I'm at, lucky if I get to cut > 20", haha

Attachments

• IMG_20200621_130704.jpg
    IMG_20200621_130704.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 22
I don't have a good stump pic of this one, but this was a hell of a job. No good access so all the limbs had to be drug to the street. You can see the lean over the house, and there wasn't room to fall it into the yard even though I think it would have went with wedges without too much trouble. I decided to limb it up, top it and flop it.

1ctm6nC.jpg

She was pretty wide...

MzcR12T.jpg

Get the length down so it would land in the yard and not half in the river. Notice my great groundies going to work...

9tNyLba.jpg

And here we are on the ground. No fancy stuff here, just a normal face/back cut and wedge her over.

B8mpZsT.jpg

Tell us about using the shrub as a redirect!?!

I don't have a good stump pic of this one, but this was a hell of a job. No good access so all the limbs had to be drug to the street. You can see the lean over the house, and there wasn't room to fall it into the yard even though I think it would have went with wedges without too much trouble. I decided to limb it up, top it and flop it.

She was pretty wide...

Get the length down so it would land in the yard and not half in the river. Notice my great groundies going to work...

9tNyLba.jpg

And here we are on the ground. No fancy stuff here, just a normal face/back cut and wedge her over.

Latest posts

Back