Show us your stumps!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Face cuts ain't right (too big & too small), hinges/holding wood aint there! Barrels kicking back, hanging up & starting to barberchair.
Some of those look like the cut has just gone in & walked around the tree until it fell over
i would say 95% of those trees fell exactly where I wanted them to fall and if you read the post title every stump that you took a picture of good or bad. If I can I try not to cut a tree with a relief at all and if there’s a big one it needed to be that big I don’t use wedges only a saw carry as little as possible cut timber mostly on cliff edges I move fast cut and trim 40 to 60 trees and trim a day. also I get paid 48$ an hour to cut timber I’m very good at what I do multiple saw mill owners have told me that every saw log that comes across there scale looks great but you are the stump expert I guess I’m very happy with the work I do so meh.

I
i would say 95% of those trees fell exactly where I wanted them to fall and if you read the post title every stump that you took a picture of good or bad. If I can I try not to cut a tree with a relief at all and if there’s a big one it needed to be that big I don’t use wedges only a saw carry as little as possible cut timber mostly on cliff edges I move fast cut and trim 40 to 60 trees and trim a day. also I get paid 48$ an hour to cut timber I’m very good at what I do multiple saw mill owners have told me that every saw log that comes across there scale looks great but you are the stump expert I guess I’m very happy with the work I do so meh.
I saw two hangers, one chair, one broke off the stump that you failed to swing, and some pretty sloppy hinges! Not to mention a bunch of whips you failed to drop or cripple just to leave bowed over and loaded by the limbs on your downed timber! I didn't see anything on steep ground in your pics! All the terrain looked flat as a pancake to me. 👎 Maybe you should carry an axe and some wedges there Mr. Swing Cut! 👍 😂🤣

This is steep ground as I understand the definition.
Screenshot_20220811-023659~2.png Screenshot_20220811-023725~2.pngScreenshot_20220811-023754~2.pngScreenshot_20220811-023834~2.png

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!👍

Fell two standing dead with only a few branches at the crown this morning.

First one was hollow from ~8" below the ground (three sections of the trunk were holding the tree up like a tripod) up to ~9' high. I didn't realize it was hollow as high as it was until after I felled it. Only thing that helped me was it was slightly leaning already in the direction I needed it to go which is good because I couldn't use wedges due to the rot.

The photos I attached were from the second tree (didn't think to take any photos at first because I had to get both trees down and bucked by 12:30 pm). ~23"-24" DBH.

Power line was ~24' behind the back cut. The shed and camper was too the left and flowers, shrubs, and fruit trees were to the right (homeowner wanted to keep them undamaged). There was nothing to use as a redirect. I cut it high since I was trying to avoid multiple nails, eye/circle bolts, and easily visible since it was close to the gravel driveway. That and I can't bend over as much as I used to. I dropped it pretty much where I wanted it so it didn't clip the front porch. Ended up being close though to the house. I cut too far into the hinge than I intended but it worked and the tree had a little rot on one side. Ended up using five wedges due to the back lean/canopy mostly in the opposite direction than I needed it to go. Canopy was mostly all rotted and shattered into several pieces when it hit the ground.

Used my 441 C-M. Got both trees bucked and stacked to split at a later date.
Guttzy fell, well done. I probably would have cut it another 2’ higher for trailer clearance 🤪 but…you say there was a bunch of metal…oy 😳.
how did you estimate the length? Looks like the top was damn close to the porch.

I don't fall for a living, nor would I consider myself an expert however, I've had enough experience to know that if I need to I'll sacrifice a foot of log for the security of knowing exactly where the tree is going (within reason) every time... & if/when it doesn't go there I want to know why so it doesn't happen again.
If you're dropping 60 a day & 95% go "where you want them to" (which is probably where they were going anyway), that's 3 a day that don't! Personally I'd be happy to earn a little less & not have to worry about 2-3 chairs/kickbacks/hangers a day.
Every one that doesn't go rite raises the odds that you don't go home to you family at the end of the day

706030-d6756e1ada6703aa75c102f6b5272142.jpeg
This one looks to have cost you a bar (that had no business being there to get stuck in the first place), & you've had to make wedges, & it's hung up. A standard face cut & back cut would've put that over in the clear 20' to the right all day every day & maybe cost you 6" of a but log that wasn't that great in the first place.
Food for thought...

View attachment 1022049
This one looks to have cost you a bar (that had no business being there to get stuck in the first place), & you've had to make wedges, & it's hung up. A standard face cut & back cut would've put that over in the clear 20' to the right all day every day & maybe cost you 6" of a but log that wasn't that great in the first place.
Food for thought...
Looked like 2 bars to me, is that a sprocket end on the lhs by the tip of the one we can see ?

View attachment 1022049
Food for thought...
Got shark teeth coming out that sprocket tip😳 i never seen sprocket teeth that big before. Screenshot_20221006-170007_Chrome_resized.jpg

Latest posts

Back