Shrub care - Bird's Nest Spruce

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenfoot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I inherited this pretty amazing shrub in my back yard, has almost a bonsai shape, but I can't tell what it is. I thought it might be a form or yew, but in has more of a pine appearance in the needles and sap smells like pine. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Shrub.jpeg
    Shrub.jpeg
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 1
Yes that's it, Birds Nest Spruce. Thanks. But comparing it to other specimens online, this one has been HEAVILY thinned out. You can see fresh cuts on the photos, but that's work I did just removing stubs from prior homeowner's pruning in the past. Also fertilized with evergreen mix 16-4-8. Couple questions:

Prior owner had cut back to stubs. Like most evergreens there was no growth or budding on the stubs (dead zone?), however when I removed the stubs a couple cuts released sap, not much, so were those stubs still alive? It is best practice to remove the whole limb vs leaving stubs for evergreens right?

How would you assess this specimen, would you call it healthy but heavily shaped/thinned, or dying back from difficult location (a lot of shade here)

Appreciate any feedback/pointers

Attachments

• Spruce2.jpeg
    Spruce2.jpeg
    881 KB · Views: 2
  • spruce3.jpeg
    spruce3.jpeg
    753.8 KB · Views: 2
Thanks it does seem pretty healthy, but it is very thinned out compared to other examples i've seen, although I do see that it's popular with bonsai folks, and maybe there was some intent with the shaping here.

And generally, it is best to cut stubs that have been left to the branch color correct?

Latest posts

Back