Simington Grinder Thread - LARGE PICS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonhubb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here is some defunct and current Simington literature that may be of some benefit. Feel free to add to it........

scan0009.jpg

scan0001-1.jpg

scan0010.jpg

So there it is. Very good Craigslist buy. Yours looks better than mine (but I've had it for 22 years). Thanks for posting the manual copies. Have you cleared chain gullets with it yet? How do you like the depth gauge gizmo? Good luck to you. John

So there it is. Very good Craigslist buy. Yours looks better than mine (but I've had it for 22 years). Thanks for posting the manual copies. Have you cleared chain gullets with it yet? How do you like the depth gauge gizmo? Good luck to you. John

Hey John,

Its good to hear from you. I appreciate the help you gave me when I initially bought it. The learning curve was a bit steep for me & you helped tremendously. Some of these pics are old and the arm adjustments are not right.

I have done gullets with it and it works well. I am kinda undecided about the depth gauge gizmo. I'm not real sure that it is worth the trouble.

I actually own two Simington grinders now. I've got a 451A and an older S-450. I've got to build a stand for the S-450 before I can get it going.

Thanks, Devon

A little trick I learned a few years ago to get the correct progressive depth gauge angle using the gizmo:
1. Raise chain in gizmo until depth gauge touches underside of wheel.
2. Remove chain.
3. Place a piece of new chain on gizmo.
4. Check cutter-to-depth gauge angle on the new piece of chain using a Harbor Freight angle indicator (the one with the magnetic base <$4).
5. Replace new piece of chain with the one you want to sharpen.
6. Replicate angle you got in #4. No matter how worn the chain might be, that will always be the optimum depth gauge height.
I used to use a steel protractor. The harbor freight tool is quicker and easier.

simington 450

Thanks for the posts. i sure enjoy my s-450. i'm getting the arm for the 450 from the 451. I got the gizmo and not the right arm. again thanks for the information.

451c

Could someone with a 451 do me a favor?

Could you tell me if there is a washer above the needle bearings on the arm.

If i take my arm off there is a washer/needle/washer set on both the top and bottom of the arm. My question is should there be another washer on either side of the "set" ? If that makes any sense.

second: with no chain, wheel on, swing your arm to one side so the chain guide is below the wheel. Measure the distance then do it on the other side and see if you come up with the same. I have a greater "gap" between the wheel and the chain guide on one side. I can't for the life of me figure how this could be. Or better yet how to fix it.

Third: Does anyone have a good trick to get the arbor to slide down on the motor shaft. I've taken the set screws out tapped, pryed, (lightly of course) and I can't get the dang thing to move.

thanks for the info.

Could someone with a 451 do me a favor?

Could you tell me if there is a washer above the needle bearings on the arm.

If i take my arm off there is a washer/needle/washer set on both the top and bottom of the arm. My question is should there be another washer on either side of the "set" ? If that makes any sense.

second: with no chain, wheel on, swing your arm to one side so the chain guide is below the wheel. Measure the distance then do it on the other side and see if you come up with the same. I have a greater "gap" between the wheel and the chain guide on one side. I can't for the life of me figure how this could be. Or better yet how to fix it.

Third: Does anyone have a good trick to get the arbor to slide down on the motor shaft. I've taken the set screws out tapped, pryed, (lightly of course) and I can't get the dang thing to move.

thanks for the info.

1). Give Simington a call & ask about the washer/bearing set up on the grinder arm. 1-888-247-6702

2). The gap on mine is slightly tighter on one side than the other. Just enough to have to readjust a smidgen from one side to the other.

3). Seems like I used a three-jaw puller to move the arbor on mine. It's been a couple of years ago & I'm getting forgetful, but I think that is how I did it. Put some penetrating oil on it & go slow. If you talk to Simington, ya might as him.

yeah

Yeah I'll give them a call. I was looking at the arbor tonight and thinking a 3 jaw was what it would take.

I don't know why I even want to mess with it I have my chains cutting good, its just the fact that it won't budge thats pissing me off.

thanks for posting that info above helps a bunch. Madsens has a great arcticle too about cutter angles if anyone is interested or hasn't seen it.

Just off the phone with Simington. 451C is current model designation. 799 or as I like to say 8 hunnert bucks.

The one on ebay went for 500 shipping and all, last minute bidders! I was working a dealio behind the scenes. It had been listed before with no bids. Had no bids until the last few minutes this time.

Looks like I'm going to WadeFRO engineer mine own. None exist in the south* and I'm done hand-filing square. And i don't see the point in running anything but square except for on the landing.

*except for the one odd saw-shop owner who "has one" up in the attic, but can't be bothered to USE it or SELL it. If i outlive him, I'll be at the auction.

But i did put a WTB up here-as I'm going to be milling/slabbing/firewooding furiously for the next few years behind the logging we're doing on my place now.

Sometimes you just can't get Craiglisters to ship anything. I'll be out west next month...i'll be looking hard then, buy it-box it up my damself.

Thanks for the good photos. I'm collecting them for the engineering project.

update

well I got my arbor loose. I was grinding the other night and advanced a tooth and suddenly I'm grinding way to much. Got to looking the arbor loosened up on its own, and moved.

NOTE: bought a 450 for $200

I know I guy that has two might be interested in selling 1. the one is NIB. I think its a 451.

Simington chain grinders

Does anyone still sell these new?

I've just acquired a Simington......I'll post pics when we get it set up of course. :msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back