Skid steer or tractor best for moving logs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

softdown

There is only Ingsoc.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
With luck I will be moving lots of logs in the forest.
I think skid steers maneuver in small spaces better. Plus I know farmers with tractors galore and they still bought a skid steer.
Plus a skid steer gives me the option of adding a "mulcher" that turns 10" trees into mulch. Expensive equipment but pays handsomely.

On other hand I feel more comfortable on a tractor than a skid steer.

Tracked skid steer (CTL/MTL) with forks or better yet a grapple will definitely out perform most tractor setups.
Having yet to have the pleasure of operating a proper log loader, I’m partial to a 4x4 telehandler. If you don’t have to move them too far, an excavator with a tiltrotator and grapple claw is an incredible combination of lift capacity and precision.

Depends on the terrain and log size. I have a L4701 Kubota that’ll lift about 1600lbs and I’m often left wanting more. The mill parks next to a “loading dock” so I can just roll heavier logs on. If I didn’t have other needs for a tractor I most definitely would have gotten a skid steer instead. Tractors are generally cheaper as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Depends on the terrain and log size. I have a L4701 Kubota that’ll lift about 1600lbs and I’m often left wanting more. The mill parks next to a “loading dock” so I can just roll heavier logs on. If I didn’t have other needs for a tractor I most definitely would have gotten a skid steer instead. Tractors are generally cheaper as well.

Colorado does not normally have many logs over 24" thick and they are generally pine or spruce. But the tree that landed on my foot a couple days ago felt like more than 1600 pounds!

A skid steer also takes less room on the trailer. As I recall they turn on a friggin' dime as well.

Pros and cons of both. I only have experience with a tractor but have been lusting after a skid steer for a long time. At the time of orchard a tractor made more sense to me but it’s very frustrating to not be able to see the forks. Especially when stacking bunks or slabs.
6a078c43833ded2517d2a4ff15fa8116.jpg

I'm a skid loader fan. Tracked normally, wheel machine would work with chains or slip on tracks. Been helping the neighbor whom had a tractor. It's more of a pain then what it's worth. Basically need 2 guys to be efficient, or get on and off the tractor all day. Maneuverability is terrible, and lift capacity is in the gutter compared to a skid steer. Using a m7040su. Only thing the tractor has is ground clearance, beyond that a skid steer would kick its arse big time in the woods.

Tracked skid steer (CTL/MTL) with forks or better yet a grapple will definitely out perform most tractor setups.
Having yet to have the pleasure of operating a proper log loader, I’m partial to a 4x4 telehandler. If you don’t have to move them too far, an excavator with a tiltrotator and grapple claw is an incredible combination of lift capacity and precision.
I think we are talking serious money with most excavators. Then one needs a commensurate truck and trailer. My truck is only rated for, I think, about 12,000 pounds towing.

Plus I plan on offering services over a large geographic area. Travel doesn't bother me in the least. In fact I consider myself an "adventure traveler".

Back