Skidding Winch on Compact Tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrain Twister

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

First post so be gentle! :)

The wife and I bought 30 acres to retire on that is heavily wooded. We have set it up as a Tree Farm for the tax benefits and to give us some extra income on occasion. We also enjoy working outdoors and figure this should help to keep us in shape (is round a shape? :D)

Although we could have purchased a bigger tractor, the Kubota B2650 fits our needs well. What we are now wondering though, is if a skidding winch, such as the Uniforest 35M, be a good addition to the implement arsenal? Would mainly be used for skidding out 16' logs but we would also like to be able to skid out some 40'-50' Western Red Cedar to build a home with. Are we asking too much between the Tractor/Skidder combo?

Chuck

I use a kioti 5510 with a farmi 351 winch all the time to help pull trees over, skid logs, tug on stuck trucks, even winched a dead 80hp farm tractor home. Love the attachment! Looked at a 25hp kioti and it just wasn't enough tractor for my needs.

Hello everyone!

The wife and I bought 30 acres to retire on that is heavily wooded. We have set it up as a Tree Farm for the tax benefits and to give us some extra income on occasion. We also enjoy working outdoors and figure this should help to keep us in shape (is round a shape? :D)

Although we could have purchased a bigger tractor, the Kubota B2650 fits our needs well. What we are now wondering though, is if a skidding winch, such as the Uniforest 35M, be a good addition to the implement arsenal? Would mainly be used for skidding out 16' logs but we would also like to be able to skid out some 40'-50' Western Red Cedar to build a home with. Are we asking too much between the Tractor/Skidder combo?

Chuck
That Kubota is only abut 4000 pounds? Does it have a loader you can keep full with a ton of dirt? Unless maybe your land is about dead flat, too small.
--- a 15 dia 50 ft wet cedar log will take at least 1200 # to lift one end off the ground. Pull on flat wet ground maybe need 2000#. Think you will be lifting the front end off the ground unless you keep the bucket full, maybe even with loaded bucket.

Hello everyone!

Chuck
it will likely be fine pulling smaller dia short logs, 16's...

However even my 12000# skidder (which is small for a skidder) has trouble pulling long logs, they just get hung up on everything, unless its a dead straight run, even then a good sized cedar log is going to be very heavy. well over 4000#

For the bigger stuff I think you asking a little too much for that tractor. However as a winch anchor it might work but your probably going to have to park it up against a stump to anchor it better for winching.
If your going to be skidding with it I would put fluid in the tires for better traction.

Thanks everyone for the replies. We realize it may not work for the big house logs but it sounds like it will work for the Tree Farm stuff.

sb47, Tires are filled so unless it's icy, we have traction.

Back