Slicing Knife for Jerky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having delivered soon is a 12" High Carbon German Steel Slicing Knife. Also ordered a Sharpening Kit for my kitchen knives. A knife is worthless if not sharp, and my existing sharpener is fixed at 25deg per side (rather crude -- good enough for a murder weapon I suppose). I finally decided to make this plunge after cutting up my Tri-Tips, which were very large cuts of meat. I use to just cut the roast in half and slice the 50% shorter piece of meat. The Tri-Tip I did the full size and saw that my 8" Chefs Knife was a bit lacking, length and the tip were the problems.

Boneless Top Sirloin Roasts are on sale this week. Gots to go see if they are lean enough for Jerky. If not I still have some Bear Roasts deep in the freezer.

1668609525197.png

1668609565141.png

Knife came in today. It is like a small sword, and as expected very sharp. Requires almost no downward pressure to make a single clean slice of meat for jerky.

Unfortunately the roasts at the grocery store were very fatty looking. The did have some tri-tips but the layer of fat and the new price increase said no to me. They did have London Broils at "Reduced for Quick Sale". The meat looked fine to me, maybe a little browning on one side at an edge. Again, that is fine for me, so I bought three of them. London Broils are a very lean cut, but unfortunately are cut against the grain. Which is okay, some people prefer their jerky cut like that. More chewy. But at 3.49/lb and little else to choose from -- Deal!

Meat is sliced and marination is doing its thing. Tomorrow morning into the dehydrator and 6 to 7 lbs of jerky will be complete, minus what dries away (more then half).

CIMG0001.JPG

CIMG0002.JPG

CIMG0011.JPG

CIMG0013.JPG

Latest posts

Back