Small chipper for start up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a km131 and a pole saw and I started to see small tree jobs materializing really quickly. The problem is it generates brush. I don't have a great method for dealing with this brush. Luckily my customers do (rural) but I'm tempted to upgrade to increase my capabilities. Most of the brush I need to go away is small 2" or less diameter. I've used a 24" chipper with a 6068 Deere engine and auto feed on it loaded with a skid steer and grapple ejecting into a 20foot chip truck. So I'm familiar with the capabilities of a large machine.

Because it's not my primary source of income I don't want to spend a ton and don't have any good ideas for chip capture and removal from said machine. The best I can think of is a small machine placed in the bed of my half ton truck set on a tarp. What is a natural progression towards being a more efficient operation without a large investment?

The best I can think of is a small machine placed in the bed of my half ton truck set on a tarp. What is a natural progression towards being a more efficient operation without a large investment?
Thats the best you can think of? Why is the chipper in the bed of your truck and how did it get there? Whats the tarp have to do with it?

I was thinking around $1k
What is you budget?
Somewhere $1500 give or take used but only if a machine is even viable for production enhancement.

I saw some light commercial tow behind (aka lawn tractor) units that seemed like they might fit the bill.
Your total assets are a km131, a pole saw, and a half ton truck?
I have multiple other bigger saws up to 36 and top handles. I have a 4x8 single axle trailer. The only paying work so far has been trimming, the rest is firewood/scrounge/unpaid. I normally do handyman work light carpentry, plumbing, electrical, landscape etc. I work 40 hours at a 9-5 and this month doubled my income working nights and weekends. I do like tree work the best.
Thats the best you can think of? Why is the chipper in the bed of your truck and how did it get there? Whats the tarp have to do with it?
Because a chipper ejects chips, I need somewhere to go with the chips and a way to unload them with some efficiency. Due to my low budget I'm looking at pretty measly chippers. Also, the chippers I thought might be viable are not towable. So they'd need to be placed somewhere.
Look into a Bandit 90.
Probably a lot bigger than I need, but it begs the question, is that the only type/size of chipper where it becomes viable to own one in a business sense?

I would not bother with a chipper under 6”. That being said your budget doesn’t allow for it.
Those really small chippers take more time to get the brush through than they are worth.
For $1500 you could get a larger trailer and stack brush on it. It will be faster and you will have less headaches.
Later on you could use it to move a piece of equipment or wood when you have the funds to buy a tow behind chipper like a 6” Bandit.

Its astounding how much a chipper reduces the volume of brush. I have a 7x20 skidloader trailer and it was piled up decently, could have fit more on, but I'd already stomped it down 2x. I know all the chips would have fit in a 55 gal drum. So say you get a removal, avg size tree, your looking at hauling 6 to 8 loads of brush, or a load of chips.

I wouldn't look at anything smaller than a 9" chipper, and if you have alot of evergreen work, a drum chipper.

I started with a 4 by 8 trailer with 4 foot sides... if you load it right and keep cutting it down, that is a lot of trimming for one day... leave a couple carefully selected branches at the bottom and you can pull the bottom half of the load out as a pile.
Having said that, if you are in a rural area where your customers are open to chipping into the field or want the chips, maybe something as small as a BC600 could make sense. But that is still way out of your budget.

I ran two huge maple trees thru this chipper up to 3" limbs and was very impressed with it for my first chipper.
It will fit in the back of your 1/2 ton and fill it up in 1/2 of a day :surprised3:

1636575513492.png

Back