Small Skid Steer Tire/Rim Change

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a mini skid Gehl HL360. Its 36" wide overall and uses 5.70-12 Chevron tires (5x4.5 bolt pattern) which are 22" tall. I only need that WIDTH for one task: cleaning horse stalls or getting in tight places 36" or more due to turning radius. We clean by hand every day so we haven't been using it for that. Those tires are in great shape, although one rim is damaged and I need to replace the valve stems on all of them. For EVERYTHING ELSE they are a liability; make the machine tippy, cut hard into soft turf, and dig hard on frozen ground making turns jerky. On snow, they work okay, but because of the narrow track and proximity of the tires to the side shields, I can't chain up and its real sketchy dumping big buckets of snow when the machine is off level.

I'm looking at 3 options. I'd like to widen the stance to use chains.

Very tough to find 6 ply 12" tires that are that height besides some ATV tires. Down a size, no too. Up a size, 23-8.50-12's are a common skid steer size and 8.50-12 rims with low backspacing are common for zero turn mowers. They will likely work without hitting the loader frame but might hit with chains at max drop on the loader.

The machine is around 2000 lbs with operator with only 500 lifting cap, so I could use select 4 ply lawnmower turf tires and still be within the weight ratings for many tires, and use chains for for mud and snow. Would probably cost the same or a bit less than the actual skid steer tires because I'd also still need to buy rims.

Lowest priced option would be to put the 5.70-12's on some trailer rims which have less backspacing and roughly the same width. This will allow the use of chains but will still have all the drawbacks/cutting of the narrow tires with a bit more stability.

Currently I'm hoping to find a set of Cub Cadet rims from older 1440/1641 etc and turf tires 23-10.50x12 to try out. Should be cheap or free and have very low backspace for a wider stance. Struck out at the local Cub Cadet dealer... Then add chains (if needed).

The centers could be cut and widened or weld them to whatever rims you think will work and not cost a bunch to do.
You can cut the centers out and weld them on different rims yourself. I have done this on many garden tractors that I have built over the last 55 years of modifying stuff.
Dual wheels would work as long as they didnt get in the way.

I am pretty sure that the cub cadet 1440/1641 etc wheels will work I'm just having trouble finding them. They have low backspacing, the correct lug size and come with the right size tires. My local Cub dealer cleaned house on all their old tractors otherwise I could have gotten them for almost free. I can find similar wheels new but at like 90 bucks plus a pop plus new tires around 150 each. Really adds up. And I am learning to weld and Could try to make wheels but I don't have anything to start with currently.

Terrible pictures, sorry my phones main cam is broken and I can only use the selfie cam, but the different tires add 12" to the machine stance which is huge. Runs and drives pretty well. Still extremely tippy front to back without a bucket on it. IMG_20211211_092533436.jpgIMG_20211211_093544075.jpg

First plow about 3" of wet heavy. Made the machine ride and turn (due to reduced ground pressure) way better and didn't seem to hurt pushing traction. Could go places I couldn't go and make riskier turns. Was pushing snow just as well as ever. Overall I spent too much for the crappy tires and rims but it all worked out.IMG_20211228_174049555.jpgIMG_20211228_213930084.jpg

Thats cute little Filly right there...... Glad you found the rims and tires you wanted. I dont see you needed to chain them up, eh? If you're not needing it to clean stalls with, you are just going to keep them on? Had you thought of Studding the skinny ones for traction on snnow and ice?

At least now you know they work and have rims, maybe try some more agressive tread from ATV's, I dont see those turf saver having a bunch of traction in anything, let alone snow and or mud, and being a wheeled skidder, everything gets a little torn up, may as well have the traction you need. You ever want to part with that, let me know.

Thats cute little Filly right there...... Glad you found the rims and tires you wanted. I dont see you needed to chain them up, eh? If you're not needing it to clean stalls with, you are just going to keep them on? Had you thought of Studding the skinny ones for traction on snnow and ice?

At least now you know they work and have rims, maybe try some more agressive tread from ATV's, I dont see those turf saver having a bunch of traction in anything, let alone snow and or mud, and being a wheeled skidder, everything gets a little torn up, may as well have the traction you need. You ever want to part with that, let me know.
I expected it to be pitifully worthless too without chains. But the filly seems to be heavy enough that it grips just fine daresay better than the Chevron tires pushing, and spins around far better than the narrow Chevron tires. Even on sheer ice covered with powder I couldn't walk on the skid steer blasted right through it. I'm not one to get happy but I was pretty giddy with how well this worked. I had a farmer almost hit my mailbox rubbernecking me pushing huge amounts of snow.

You're in luck a super nice one just popped up! Mine is kinda a piece of crap and I can't afford to replace it right now. Happy to answer any questions on the machine.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/497930868309080/?ref=facebook_story_share

I expected it to be pitifully worthless too without chains. But the filly seems to be heavy enough that it grips just fine daresay better than the Chevron tires pushing, and spins around far better than the narrow Chevron tires. Even on sheer ice covered with powder I couldn't walk on the skid steer blasted right through it. I'm not one to get happy but I was pretty giddy with how well this worked. I had a farmer almost hit my mailbox rubbernecking me pushing huge amounts of snow.

You're in luck a super nice one just popped up! Mine is kinda a piece of crap and I can't afford to replace it right now. Happy to answer any questions on the machine.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/497930868309080/?ref=facebook_story_share
You know snow better than I do, so if you're happy, GTG. The narrow print and lug pattern on the orginals are what made the difference. How good were the orignals in the dirt? I take it you haven't tried the new turf tamers in the dirt of summer yet. You might find yourself swapping back, which prollly aint hard. COngrats.

I have an ASV RC 30, so a small tire-d machine is not much use other than toy for me, but, for the right price? IN all reality, my own lannd has clayey sand, and I can get into some Gumbo. 4wd trucks get stuck in it if the tire loads up the lugs.

And if you keep rebuilind yours, you always know what you have and its value, cosmetics don;t mean crapola. Although, yours is so unique, you might need to reconsider not getting another.

That link is also a cute Booger, but not 4750 not running or 5750 running, he's fishing. Save the listing check it in two or three weeks, and go get 3k cash advance off a credit card and show up with your own winch and trailer. Whatever it takes, but 3k, maybe 3200, is all I could see. Particlularly if you got it running right and really tested, then you could sell yours for 2000 -2500, they are good for the farm/barn/horse people.

I'd love to pick it up might message them, but I just dropped nearly a grand on mine for cylinders, tires, belt, and other misc and needs to be completely rewired next. I don't use my machine as much as I should either. a 36" grapple bucket is the next thing to make it more useful.

Latest posts

Back