Small time CS milling - Equipment and techniques

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windblown

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Here's my story so far when it comes to small time CSM. I hope it proves helpful to others just starting out and hope that others with experience that have tips and tricks they find work well will join in! I'll add posts with frustrations and Ah-Ha moments as they come. :)

I mostly cut firewood though I also do a bit of wood working. Naturally the desire to make my own lumber for projects had to happen sooner or later...Since I have no plans to make it a business or end up with stacks of rough lumber piled up everywhere volume is very low. Hence the equipment used needs to be as economical as possible (keeping in mind that my free time is cheap) and not take up a lot of space.

My weapons of choice to date are the Granberg Alaskan Mill for slabs. It does a great job of making nice smooth repeatable slabs which all depends on the ever important first cut. I found setting up an Alaskan Mill for the first cut to be cumbersome plus I occasionally want to cut beams and cants rather than slabs so wanted an edger and I went in search of the cheapest solutions. Something that sets up quick and gives a good cut whether it's becuase I'm making beams or just want to create a first cut for the Alaskan Mill to run on. The two I've tried to date are the Timber-Tuff edging mill and the Granberg G555-B edging mill.

Granberg and Timbertuff box.jpg

I started with the Timber-Tuff and I like the over-all concept and simplicity of the design. A compact attachment mounts on the saw blade and you need a straight 2x6 or 2x4 of the appropriate length, that's it! It doesn't get much simpler. But in truth it's a cheaply made POS that does not cut at a 90 degree angle with out a lot of work with shimming to try to compensate for a guide that's untrue right out of the box and has zero means to tune the cut angle. Good luck cutting beams or a decent can't with out a ton of futzing around. It's a shame there is not a nicer built unit of the same basic design.

The Grandberg Edging mill is made with much stouter materials and I find it cuts true as long as the guide board is true. It's a bit more fiddly to set up the guide board for it since you need to carefully attach aluminum rails to the board for it to track on. Here are they are side by side Granberg on the left, Timber-Tuff on the right.
granberg and timbertuff.jpg

Note on the Granberg: Before you attach the rails to your guide board do your self a huge favor and camphor the edges of the rails. Otherwise even the slightest misalignment will result in a hard stop when sliding the saw along the guide rail. Not something you want to have to jiggle around in the middle of a cut.
Grandberg rails.jpg

Here is the difference in the accuracy of the 90 degree cuts between the two measured with a square hung across the guide board. The TimberTuff is way out of wack (and both of the timber tuff units I got have the same issue).
Timber Tuff
timbertuff square.jpg

Granberg G555-B:
Granberg square.jpg

With the Granberg and a little care setting up the guide board it's easy to cut a pretty decent beam or cant.
cant.jpg

Speaking of guide boards. I'm running 12' guide boards and they will quickly warp twist and bow which causes extra set up time at best, and a bad cut at worst. I may have to spring for a stouter and longer lasting guide set-up. At the moment I'm preparing to experiment with the guide board on the left below. 12' long using 3 layers of 3/4" ply laminated together. It's not quite ready for use yet. Want to round the edges slighly and give it a coat of oil. The hope it that it will remain stable and usable for a considerable amount of time unlike the plain boards.
guide boards.jpg

So that's it for now. Just harry home owner making sawdust now and then.

Oh, and I'm so cheap I don't even have a peavy. However I have found the tractor bucket makes a great log turner. Pick up the log, roll the bucket set the log back down, down. log roll1.jpg:)

Attachments

• 20220320_102325.jpg
    20220320_102325.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • grandberg edge cut.jpg
    grandberg edge cut.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 2
I have ran into the same guide board issue. I have a home made vertical mill to use in making beams and lumber, I just ripped a 2x8 to fit between the rails. They’re around 7” I believe. My cut was a little arrow and allows some play between the frame, but on top of that it has warped over time despite keeping the board indoors and dry. I’m thinking of making an aluminum guide rail out of square tubing one of these days, almost like a mini ladder setup to ride along. Just need to get material and do it…17EB987B-5A36-42B6-89E0-714C55DC7EFD.jpeg

I have ran into the same guide board issue. I have a home made vertical mill to use in making beams and lumber, I just ripped a 2x8 to fit between the rails. They’re around 7” I believe. My cut was a little arrow and allows some play between the frame, but on top of that it has warped over time despite keeping the board indoors and dry. I’m thinking of making an aluminum guide rail out of square tubing one of these days, almost like a mini ladder setup to ride along. Just need to get material and do it…View attachment 975206
That's a stout looking attachment! I imagine the weight helps keep the saw settled. Does having long rollers riding on the guide bar give you trouble with saw dust build up?

I'm coming to the likely obvious conclusion I may need to bite the bullet and get away from wood as a guide bar solution if I want to get consistent results without a lot of fussing around. I'll see how the plywood one I made performs and how long it lasts. In the meantime I'm keeping my eyes peeled for some cheap metal or a yardsale aluminum ladder for to experiment with.

If the wind is in my favor then sawdust buildup isn’t an issue, otherwise I have to pull back and wipe the 2x8 free a few times. The saw doesn’t vibrate at all and the rollers make it super smooth, almost no effort to push it along. It really is a nice setup. I’m about 1/8” off if I cut about 10” down so I give a little more when cutting beams.

Ya, that metal does a real number on blades/chains! lol! I have destroyed a few bandmill blades by hittin junk in logs. --- they claim we should have metal detectors, but not sure they would find steel or not,---thought they only work on gold, copper, brass, etc.
On the guide board issue, they have lini ones but dont know if they work on the beam cutters or not. I only use mine to skin down oversized logs to fit in my bandmill.
I did just buy a little Alaskan 14 to 24 inch jobber to use on a 14 to 18 inch small saw to cut " firewood lumber"! I can get a LOT of short logs that are wasted for firewood that have a lot of nice short boards in them and I too am NOT looking for volume,--- only good boards for my own woodwork habit! lol!

Ya, that metal does a real number on blades/chains! lol! I have destroyed a few bandmill blades by hittin junk in logs. --- they claim we should have metal detectors, but not sure they would find steel or not,---thought they only work on gold, copper, brass, etc.
On the guide board issue, they have lini ones but dont know if they work on the beam cutters or not. I only use mine to skin down oversized logs to fit in my bandmill.
I did just buy a little Alaskan 14 to 24 inch jobber to use on a 14 to 18 inch small saw to cut " firewood lumber"! I can get a LOT of short logs that are wasted for firewood that have a lot of nice short boards in them and I too am NOT looking for volume,--- only good boards for my own woodwork habit! lol!
Stay away from "line trees" on fence/property lines ( or start at 6' up from base), yard trees, etc.....

Stay away from "line trees" on fence/property lines ( or start at 6' up from base), yard trees, etc.....
Yep. I don't generally run into a ton of stuff out here in the woods but it's all been rural farm county for a long time. Evidentially someone had attached something to this tree. Shame too, it looked like a nice log but I ran into a lot of faults and issues as I opened it up.

This iron stain was a quite some distance away from the nail. There must have been more in the tree that had had been eaten away over time. Luckily I didn't hit any more.

20220322_190013.jpg

The will definitely work on steel. What they won't detect is everything else I seem to hit. rocks, glass, ceramics, and even a lump of concrete I found in eh middle of a of a branch union.
I started out in 2007 with a little home made alaskan (max 24" Bar) and when I made my bigger all Ally mill that could take a 42" bar I thought I'd never use the small alaskan again but I have still used it quite a bit for smaller logs. It's a bit more portable and I can use it in my inner city (we're 1 mile from the CBD) pocket handkerchief back garden. I do this during working hours when everyone else is at work. Short logs have very short cut times so its not like it goes on-and-on-and-on. So far no complaints from anyone. I was expecting a complaint from an ornery artist type who lives a few houses away as we have had run ins with him before over dod barking issues but nit a peep.

Milling1.jpg

The will definitely work on steel. What they won't detect is everything else I seem to hit. rocks, glass, ceramics, and even a lump of concrete I found in eh middle of a of a branch union.

I started out in 2007 with a little home made alaskan (max 24" Bar) and when I made my bigger all Ally mill that could take a 42" bar I thought I'd never use the small alaskan again but I have still used it quite a bit for smaller logs. It's a bit more portable and I can use it in my inner city (we're 1 mile from the CBD) pocket handkerchief back garden. I do this during working hours when everyone else is at work. Short logs have very short cut times so its not like it goes on-and-on-and-on. So far no complaints from anyone. I was expecting a complaint from an ornery artist type who lives a few houses away as we have had run ins with him before over dod barking issues but nit a peep.

View attachment 975562

That's a cool little jig!

That's a cool little jig!
Cheers WB, Pics and some pics of the first few things I cut with it here https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/milling-some-shorts.46491

Just tell the artist guy you’re making art too.
The artist is an obnoxious character plus he threatened our dogs even though I could provide it was not our dogs the were barking. Very stupidly he did it in front of another neighbour and I reminded him that he would be the first person the cops would come calling on if something happened.

Was supposed to be my last milling day today. Last two oak logs to slab to 5/4. Rain moving in later but figured I had time. New edging guide bar I made up has been working well and giving good first cuts to work from. Checking for flatness after the cut here.
20220325_132946.jpg

Things were moving along pretty well. Then this happened while cutting my 4th slab. :(

20220325_132642.jpg

20220325_132507.jpg

This was an Archer milling chain. I bought two and have been swapping back and forth. Hope the other doesn't meet a similar fate before I get done. Only other 24" loops I have are full chisel and not ground for milling.

Decided to take a break and have a cup of coffee and surf the internet for a bit. No point in getting in a rush, I won't get that last log before the rain comes.

I prefer running 30 degree angles, let’s me use all my chains for more than just milling. If I have the horsepower it really cuts and throws some sawdust. I think finish is a moot argument, either way the wood has to be further finished anyway. If I can cut fast with non milling angles then I’d rather have that.

Now milling chain does serve its purpose though so don’t think you can just abandon it. Play around a bit, that’s how you learn and find what works best for you!

I touched up an almost new full chisel loop and gave it a shot. It seemed to cut pretty smoothly in spots but would get rough in others (possibly just bad technique that semi-chisel ripping chain masks). Anyway, I opted to put my remaining ripping chain loop on the saw even though it was missing a few teeth following contact with a buried nail after cleaning it up on the grinder and it gave me a better finish and it lasted through the last log for the year. Ended up with approx 500 BF stacked up. Time will tell how much becomes suitable for some interior projects some day.

My weapons of choice to date are the Granberg Alaskan Mill for slabs. It does a great job of making nice smooth repeatable slabs which all depends on the ever important first cut. I found setting up an Alaskan Mill for the first cut to be cumbersome
I have the Alaskan mill. Hated the ladder system and did not see the one they sell much better. Decided to go with a system of a Canadian guy which uses bracket plates that screw to the ends of the log and support two 2.5-inch tube steel. This is a fast system. I have two 076's so leave one in the larger Granberg and try not to do many changes to the height. I use the shorter Granberg once I get a 90-degree to get boards. I also use a 4 ft sperber mill that runs two chain saws for thick logs and slabs.

I see you have a tractor. I use a Large lighting Truss I put on a large dolly so I can get the log up so I am not bending down. The Crank that Grandberg sells moves the project along. Those saw horses seem the right height but I have to turn the log at least once. I use material lifts and hoists for that. Not perfected yet, but getting better. Hope to get a forklift. If I am lucky to get a large number of logs I have been finding someone with a Logasol, but even that I have trouble. I have had two different loads of logs sitting at two different mills for over two months, but back and forth calls still have not been scheduled in a time. I have one faithful that I go to but it is an hr away.

I am negotiating with a jet cutting metal company that has about 1/2 acre near my house to place a band saw. Still have not worked out how far to go with this which will determine what type I get. I hear you on the space. I have filled My urban backyard with stacks of lumber. I have enough now to do some serious furniture and live-edge tables, while I contemplate how much milling I need to do. Love it though. Just love the chainsaws and milling logs. Still keeping my day job, but have good hopes. 20210120_173340 (1).jpg

20210413_224100.jpg20210413_224049.jpg

I also use 20210401_195206.jpg

That's a stout looking attachment! I imagine the weight helps keep the saw settled. Does having long rollers riding on the guide bar give you trouble with saw dust build up?

I'm coming to the likely obvious conclusion I may need to bite the bullet and get away from wood as a guide bar solution if I want to get consistent results without a lot of fussing around. I'll see how the plywood one I made performs and how long it lasts. In the meantime I'm keeping my eyes peeled for some cheap metal or a yardsale aluminum ladder for to experiment with.
Any thoughts of using LVL planks/beams?

Latest posts

Back