Small time CS milling - Equipment and techniques

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any thoughts of using LVL planks/beams?
That would be an interesting alternative though like any wood it is going to tend to move a little over time left unsupported. The challenge with all the rigs that only attach at one point on the bar is that a 1 degree change in angle works out to about a 1/4" of shift one foot out on the bar so it takes very little movement to throw off the cut on the far side of the blade substantially. The rig I made is currently hanging from the rafters in the garage. I'm hoping I'll be able to use it again this winter but I'm not counting on it.

The will definitely work on steel. What they won't detect is everything else I seem to hit. rocks, glass, ceramics, and even a lump of concrete I found in eh middle of a of a branch union.

I started out in 2007 with a little home made alaskan (max 24" Bar) and when I made my bigger all Ally mill that could take a 42" bar I thought I'd never use the small alaskan again but I have still used it quite a bit for smaller logs. It's a bit more portable and I can use it in my inner city (we're 1 mile from the CBD) pocket handkerchief back garden. I do this during working hours when everyone else is at work. Short logs have very short cut times so its not like it goes on-and-on-and-on. So far no complaints from anyone. I was expecting a complaint from an ornery artist type who lives a few houses away as we have had run ins with him before over dod barking issues but nit a peep.

View attachment 975562
Your pictures are very helpful in seeing what's described. 101 pictures have all disappeared and it's hard to visualize what is being said in most of the posts.

Your pictures are very helpful in seeing what's described. 101 pictures have all disappeared and it's hard to visualize what is being said in most of the posts.
In 2012 during a forum software upgrade all the forum pictures were accidentally lost - this also happened on many other forums all around the world that use the same forum software . few years later I obtained special permission to go back and reinsert my pictures. I reckon round 1500 of my pics were lost and putting them all back is no mean task but have managed to reinserted about 500 of them. I've tried to prioritise pictures I thing are most relevant, If you find a post of mine with missing pictures just let me know and I will reinsert them. Sorry I cannot do anything about other members missing pics.

Sounds like IT pros at it again creating job security or elimination with their shoddy software updates. 😆
I'm not sure about the AS forum software but another forum where I post, the admins said during the upgrade a "Retain image directory paths" check box was by default unchecked so the images weren't actually lost but all the pathways were lost so little or no images could be linked to their respective messages.

Latest posts

Back