Smoking the house out..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmr86

Reaction score
I recently purchased a England stove works 28-3500 from a friend to primarily heat our home 2500+/- sqft to replace the quadrafire originally purchased that we eventually realized was much too small for the square footage. It is positioned in the basement on the northeast corner of the house with a block chimney which sits 5 foot above the roof peak and typically prevailing westerly winds. I annually clean and inspect the chimney's (fireplace on the opposite end of the house) yet since I installed this stove I have continuously had issues with the stove choking out and smoking the basement and eventually the entire house yet never had an issue before hand. This is our third year in our home but the first with the issues we are having, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I'm not familiar with the air controls on this but can say that the times I've had smoke issues from various stoves in houses over the years it was from a few common issues.
1) Choking down the stove. Let 'er breath. Had an old circulator that would poof back when the smoke gasses would flash burn. Open it up a little.
2) Cold flue and slow flow. Is your chimney flue too big. A smaller sized metal liner may actually improve draft, run hotter and stay cleaner.
3) Weather. Mother Nature is a bee auch

What is the required chimney specs according to the owners manual? Step 1.

Do you know , or can you check moisture content of your wood?

Can you post pics/describe your setup, including connector pipe, chimney interior dimensions, chimney liner makeup, length, etc

Describe your start up routine.

These answers will help members here sort things out.

Latest posts

Back