So I was looking for an 044 project saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Testing 1 2 3...

Flywheel nut and extra brake cover screw came in today. "No charge" says she, best supplier ever. :)

25 ft-lb is a lot of torque on that nut. I thought it was going to strip before I got there.
Excuses all used up, here she is, warts and all:

attachment.php

attachment.php

With choke on, took about 5 pulls. No burp, it just started; well, and I flipped the choke off before it could die. :hmm3grin2orange:

A little warm-up, throttle response is excellent; 4-stroking nicely; completely terrifying. After that, pretty much 1 pull; tried 2 or 3 times, held the throttle open for 5-10 seconds to see if the oiler works. Note the stripe just below the bar in the 2nd pic.

Compression is a little lower (145 vs. 150 originally), but I'm guessing I should check it again after a little breaking in.

Now there must be something around here I can test this out on...maybe it's time I dug out those two stumps around back.

Providence!

Neighbour cut down a nice big ol' Doug Fir; only one block from my home, I cannot believe it. Nabbed a half dozen pieces to try noodling. That's the good news.

Not sure if I've got everything set up right, as the saw was a little sluggish, and didn't want to feed. I either didn't sharpen right, or it's a little lean, or noodling Doug Fir is not something that goes super fast. I have a little video, but it will take some time to clean up and upload.

In the mean time, can anyone tell me how deep to set the rakers? The chain is 0.404, 0.063, full skip. I sharpened with a 7/32" file, and put the raker depth at around 0.030". I don't have a professional grinder or anything, I just use a jig and a dremel to eye-ball it:

attachment.php

In the above pic, the screw is threaded through a chunk of lucite, and I measure how far it comes through with a caliper. Then I lay it across two teeth, and take off as much as needed to get the lucite to sit just touching both teeth. If ya want more aggressive, it's a #4-40 screw, so 1/4 turn is 0.010". This is pretty hokey, but it's worked well previously. The teeth need to all have about the same amount of meat on them though.

Am I missing something with noodle-cutting? Do you need to get the bar at just the perfect angle to get it to zip through? I keep wanting to rock the saw back & forth, but then you're alternating between milling and noodling, right?

On the other hand, maybe it's just not broken? I thought it was sounding leaner after a few cuts, and it's possible with all the clean-up the air-flow is improved, so it's just getting more air. It was pretty plugged up when I first brought it home. I did not open up the muffler.

edit: Got my numbers wrong! A #4-40 screw is only 0.025"/turn, so 1/4 turn is only 1/4 of that. No matter, I did measure the depth with a caliper at 0.030".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back