So what Husqvarna is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Reaction score
This is one of many Husqvarna saws I recently got in. I am not all that versed in modern Husky saws. The model plate is long scratched. So ole Husky guys what is the ole girl.....

I have never owned, or handled a 61, but I have owned a 266XP for over 30 years, and that sure looks ahelluva lot like my 266XP

The main stand out difference between that saw and my 266XP “Ol Reliable”, is Bill’s saw has the “Hockey Stick” decal style recoil housing, mine has the small square decal recoil housing, But I have seen (probably later models than mine) 266XP’s with the Hockey Stick decals, so the recoil housing definitely does Not rule out it being a 266XP

It is hard to make out, but it does appear to have a mark, where my saw has the Blue XP decal above the rear handle, maybe take a close look at that?

IMG_2644.jpeg
IMG_2643.jpeg
IMG_2642.jpeg
IMG_2641.jpeg
IMG_2640.jpeg
IMG_2639.jpeg
IMG_2638.jpeg
IMG_2637.jpeg

Doug 😎

I will say that I am 100% clueless on the saw. I have a lot of Husky's but sure as heck cannot ID them very well. This ole girl needs a new home but I do not want to mislead anyone on the model. That is not the way I operate.

I need to compare it to my 262 but some tool and die guy cut the head off it so the cylinder looks a bit different :)

I have seen a lot of Huskies get that brown discoloration on the top covers, I suspect that it is from UV rays, but I don’t know for sure

When I am using my saws, I USE them, but when I can within reason, I put them down out of direct sunlight. I won’t walk a hundred yards to do it, but I make a small effort

The old girl still looks pretty good, and runs just as good as she looks, I try to take care of her, but I’m not OCD about it

Doug 😎

I have seen a lot of Huskies get that brown discoloration on the top covers, I suspect that it is from UV rays, but I don’t know for sure

When I am using my saws, I USE them, but when I can within reason, I put them down out of direct sunlight. I won’t walk a hundred yards to do it, but I make a small effort

The old girl still looks pretty good, and runs just as good as she looks, I try to take care of her, but I’m not OCD about it

Doug 😎
All these saws came out of the far deep south where the sun is quite "radiant"

In Bill’s pictures, it appears that there may be what is left of an XP decal on the top cover, but I can’t be sure from the pictures

The pictures with the XP decals very clear, are of my 266XP, for comparison, not Bill’s saw

Doug 😎
I was asking Bob his reply about Bill`s saw ,not yours.

I retract my 61 id, the coffee wasn't working yet. By the numbers that is a Gilardoni 50mm open port 268 non xp cylinder. But you have a 61 top cover and likely air filter/elbow on there.
I was thinking the same. Definitely a single coil saw based on the location of the forward most top cover screw. I’m wondering if the non xp 268 used the same top cover and air filter setup as the 61? Or like you said could be a 61 with open port 50mm top end. I’m not as familiar with the “new style” 61 or 268/272 saws as I am with the older two coil saws.

Does the 61 have an XP sticker on its covers?

I did look at that, not very closely agreed- but did look and could not decide if it was an old XP remains or a shop decal remains, could be any kind of combination of that era of parts. Folk do love to start with a 61 bottom end and add bits to get something like one of the larger younger sisters.

If I pop the jug off will that get a bit closer to an ID
If you just remove the muffler and insert a straw straight across the top of the piston, raise the piston just enough to crimp the side of the straw, withdraw and measure from the end of the straw to the crimp, that will give a fairly accurate size of bore. You can also look in through the exhaust port and with a light determine if the cylinder is an open port or closed port cylinder.

If I pop the jug off will that get a bit closer to an ID
Pull the top cover and take several pictures at different angles. Looks like a Gilardoni made cylinder to me which would be a non xp 268. Possibly a 66? The single coil 61 may have used a Gilardoni cylinder as well. Like others have said could be a combination of different parts. I’ll take a look at some IPL’s on Wednesday when I’m back at work.

Latest posts

Back