So what Husqvarna is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I popped the jug off tonight. I will get some pics Tuesday. It is a good thing as the skirt is busted on the intake side with some gouges.

I’m wondering if the non xp 268 used the same top cover and air filter setup as the 61?
All of the 268's use the same top cover, and outside of the optional HD setup, the same filter assembly and elbow.

I did look at that, not very closely agreed- but did look and could not decide if it was an old XP remains

On the later saws they have the model number up there, like so:

Attachments

• 16854207318941647443316722848416.jpg
    16854207318941647443316722848416.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Could be almost any combination of parts
From the outside, looks like a 1990s 268 (model 66 in Australia) with a 268XP top cover.
While the 66 and 268 non xp are both 50mm open port, they are not the same.
Aussie market not withstanding as sometimes things are different there, the 66 was a dual coil saw, and uses the 266 intake block with seperate carb bolts, while the 268 is a single coil saw, and the later jug uses the 268/272 intake block and long bolts through everything.

While the 66 and 268 non xp are both 50mm open port, they are not the same.
Aussie market not withstanding as sometimes things are different there, the 66 was a dual coil saw, and uses the 266 intake block with seperate carb bolts, while the 268 is a single coil saw, and the later jug uses the 268/272 intake block and long bolts through everything.
Thank you. That makes sense. I'd previously thought that 268 was the US model name for the 1980s 66 (i.e. a 266 with a Gilardoni cylinder & piston) but from what you've said it was more like a 272 with a 67cc Gilardoni cylinder & piston. If so, how does as 268XP differ from a 268?

Thank you. That makes sense. I'd previously thought that 268 was the US model name for the 1980s 66 (i.e. a 266 with a Gilardoni cylinder & piston) but from what you've said it was more like a 272 with a 67cc Gilardoni cylinder & piston. If so, how does as 268XP differ from a 268?
Generally speaking a Mahle closed port cyl and windowed piston. I have heard folks talk of some of them also having a Gilardoni closed port cyl though I have never seen one.....all I have ever seen are with the Mahle P&C. And the non-XP open port Gilardoni P&C.

The 268XP was the first saw on the single coil chassis, it is 50MM, closed port, when the 272XP came out, they introduced the 268 non xp which shares the open port cylinder with the 268K, and they also continued the closed port saw as the 268 Special for a while.

I will say that I am 100% clueless on the saw. I have a lot of Husky's but sure as heck cannot ID them very well. This ole girl needs a new home but I do not want to mislead anyone on the model. That is not the way I operate.

I need to compare it to my 262 but some tool and die guy cut the head off it so the cylinder looks a bit different :)
Here's my 61. That's the chain brake handle as I got it. I haven't altered the saw any. BTW it is a two coil model..

Attachments

• Husky 61-2.JPG
    Husky 61-2.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Husky 61-1.JPG
    Husky 61-1.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I have heard folks talk of some of them also having a Gilardoni closed port cyl though I have never seen one.
It could be some people are understandably confused. Technically the Gilardoni cylinders do have closed ports, though without the accelerative tapering possible with sand casting. Their non sand cast pistons are also heavier.
The clever thing about them is how they cast the cylinders around a dolly with retractable "arms", which is partly why they were so ridiculously cheap compared to Mahle or KS.

Back