So what's the current Two stroke oil favorite for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greatly depends on the area. Shell stations in the midwest are also probably are not using Shell made fuel.
Yeah , that's what I was afraid of Ben , not consistent from State to State . Until a year ago there was 3 local stations with Ethanol free fuel in various octane ratings from mid to high . Today zero 10 % minimium and most closer to 15 % ethanol should the true be known :confused:

Yeah , that's what I was afraid of Ben , not consistent from State to State . Until a year ago there was 3 local stations with Ethanol free fuel in various octane ratings from mid to high . Today zero 10 % minimium and most closer to 15 % ethanol should the true be known :confused:
In many cases fuel sold in my state doesn't have ethanol in it, even if advertised as such due to short supply waivers.
As far as fuel marketed as E Free. I have only ever seen premium being sold as E Free.
Refiners like ethanol because it has a high octane content, so it allows them to blend alot of crappy streams with it and still hit 87 R+M/2.

In many cases fuel sold in my state doesn't have ethanol in it, even if advertised as such due to short supply waivers.
As far as fuel marketed as E Free. I have only ever seen premium being sold as E Free.
Refiners like ethanol because it has a high octane content, so it allows them to blend alot of crappy streams with it and still hit 87 R+M/2.
That makes sense . Recently as I mentioned things really changed locally . Premium high test was always efree . Then Shell had efree 91 octane for a few yrs then Esso had their mid grade also efree . Now only 93 or 94 Octane Premium , which is useless in my saws & trimmers . My Harley & Sleds love it , however my Wolverine Side by doesn't even require Premium fuel lol. The local Marina had efree fuel however even that changed this spring :confused:

That makes sense . Recently as I mentioned things really changed locally . Premium high test was always efree . Then Shell had efree 91 octane for a few yrs then Esso had their mid grade also efree . Now only 93 or 94 Octane Premium , which is useless in my saws & trimmers . My Harley & Sleds love it , however my Wolverine Side by doesn't even require Premium fuel lol. The local Marina had efree fuel however even that changed this spring :confused:
Why is 93 or 94 useless?
I haven't seen octane over 91 in pumpnfuel for decades!

Why is 93 or 94 useless?
I haven't seen octane over 91 in pumpnfuel for decades!
93 & 94 Octane is available everywhere within Ontario & Quebec . (Shell / Petro Canada & Esso) 91 Octane is mid grade here also . Out West not sure , was Shell Nitro I & Petro Ultra , Esso Xtra have not been there in decades . The high test is not actually useless , however has no benefit within handhelds other than its efree status at a inflated price . Standard 87 or even better 89 octane is sufficient for all my saws & trimmers other than my 357 xp , 7900 & MS 660 which are ported & have sufficient high compression to perhaps take advantage
of the high octane fuel . Same with my Harley & perhaps 1979 650 RXL sled . Actually 91 Octane Shell efree is what I have used for the past decade . However now it is 10% + ethanol most likely now . As you likely also know Ben fuel here is $1.50 a liter . So @ 4.54 litres to a CDN gallon or 3.78 litres to a US gallon it's not cheap for even 87 Octane fuel . Sure , I can & have & do utilized fuel conditioners or Premium Syn oils with ethanol package , but that just adds additional $ to the cost & effect . I see in Michigan UP Marinas still have Efree fuels . Probably pick up 10 gallons next trip South at Mucho Grande mark up brother to fuel my handhelds lol.

There is still a few places selling 90-93 E-free gas around here. I have been using Exxon 93 E-free for the saws.

I’ve had more problems (carbon, fouled plugs, splooge etc) with racing type 2 stroke oils that have been used in chainsaws and other ope3, than I have in a good FC / FD op3 specific oils. This shouldn’t come as a surprise, but I see it all the time now.

We all want to run the best of the best, to get the highest performance oils wjth the highest additive antiwear / scuff packages for dirtbikes and other high output, racing engines, thinking we are treating our engines “kindly” feeding them top shelf racing fluids. However it’s all marketing hype and a way they get you to part with your cash. The engines we use just don’t do them justice, it’s actually the opposite, Op3 engines just aren’t run at the extreme conditions that the bikes are and thus at least in my experience I’m left with a dirtier plug, crown and cylinder than I would be using a basic 2 stroke oil for garden machines.

You can get away with dirtbike racing oils if your tune is really sharp (not just no longer 4 stroking under load, but instead the other extreme, where you’re close to being past that peak and closing in on the edge of a lean tune and you’re working it hard for prolonged periods). Though, that’s just asking for problems unless you intend to rebuild your engines every season, you’re willing to tune that saw every few hours and push it to its limits.

The racing specific oils aim is to ensure that engine can last that race or a season, then the engine would be stripped, cleaned and built again. That just doesn’t happen with op3. There is a reason 2 Stroke bikes are to be rebuilt around the 60 hour mark. Where saws and other op3 can last many thousands without a single hiccup…

Same with running 110av gas or other stupidly high octane fuels. Our engines aren’t designed to require them.

Get a simple, fc/fd semi synthetic or fully synthetic oil designed for garden power equipment, at sensible 32:1 - 40:1 ratio (unless it’s a concentrated oil) run a basic, lower octane, ideally ethanol free, keep it fresh, give the equipment a healthy tune, keep the fins clean, air filter clean and chain sharp and it will last decades.

Just my 2c

Edited to correct punctuation

I’ve had more problems (carbon, fouled plugs, splooge etc) with racing type 2 stroke oils that have been used in chainsaws and other ope3, than I have in a good FC / FD op3 specific oils. This shouldn’t come as a surprise, but I see it all the time now.

We all want to run the best of the best, to get the highest performance oils wjth the highest additive antiwear / scuff packages for dirtbikes and other high output, racing engines, thinking we are treating our engines “kindly” feeding them top shelf racing fluids. However it’s all marketing hype and a way they get you to part with your cash. The engines we use just don’t do them justice, it’s actually the opposite, Op3 engines just aren’t run at the extreme conditions that the bikes are and thus at least in my experience I’m left with a dirtier plug, crown and cylinder than I would be using a basic 2 stroke oil for garden machines.

You can get away with dirtbike racing oils if your tune is really sharp (not just no longer 4 stroking under load, but instead the other extreme, where you’re close to being past that peak and closing in on the edge of a lean tune and you’re working it hard for prolonged periods). Though, that’s just asking for problems unless you intend to rebuild your engines every season, you’re willing to tune that saw every few hours and push it to its limits.

The racing specific oils aim is to ensure that engine can last that race or a season, then the engine would be stripped, cleaned and built again. That just doesn’t happen with op3. There is a reason 2 Stroke bikes are to be rebuilt around the 60 hour mark. Where saws and other op3 can last many thousands without a single hiccup…

Same with running 110av gas or other stupidly high octane fuels. Our engines aren’t designed to require them.

Get a simple, fc/fd semi synthetic or fully synthetic oil designed for garden power equipment, at sensible 32:1 - 40:1 ratio (unless it’s a concentrated oil) run a basic, lower octane, ideally ethanol free, keep it fresh, give the equipment a healthy tune, keep the fins clean, air filter clean and chain sharp and it will last decades.

Just my 2c

Edited to correct punctuation
Much of what you say is true. With the caveat that not all bike oils are high viscosity, high heat oils. Stuff like R-50, H1R, Motul 800,927 etc are high viscosity, high heat capacity oils. Oils like Maxima K2, Yam 2R, Honda HP1, Mobil MX2T etc are not.
Even in bikes the latter Perform better than the former as it pertains to cleanliness with no loss in scuff protection. The latter will pass FD, the former will not and not close.
It was realized 30 years ago by the bike OEM's that thinner FD oils worked better in bikes so that's where the OEM's went. There is actually a white paper written on this subject. I use to have it, but haven't seen it in years now.
The O P E OEM's always lacked behind in the bike companies in oil reccomendations until fairly recently now they all recommend FD oils save for Stihl.
Stihl is making the same mistake Polaris made back in the 90's when they reccomended TCw3 boat oils in their PWC's and sleds. It was a disaster and after a few years they went to low ash TC/FC oils.

93 & 94 Octane is available everywhere within Ontario & Quebec . (Shell / Petro Canada & Esso) 91 Octane is mid grade here also . Out West not sure , was Shell Nitro I & Petro Ultra , Esso Xtra have not been there in decades . The high test is not actually useless , however has no benefit within handhelds other than its efree status at a inflated price . Standard 87 or even better 89 octane is sufficient for all my saws & trimmers other than my 357 xp , 7900 & MS 660 which are ported & have sufficient high compression to perhaps take advantage
of the high octane fuel . Same with my Harley & perhaps 1979 650 RXL sled . Actually 91 Octane Shell efree is what I have used for the past decade . However now it is 10% + ethanol most likely now . As you likely also know Ben fuel here is $1.50 a liter . So @ 4.54 litres to a CDN gallon or 3.78 litres to a US gallon it's not cheap for even 87 Octane fuel . Sure , I can & have & do utilized fuel conditioners or Premium Syn oils with ethanol package , but that just adds additional $ to the cost & effect . I see in Michigan UP Marinas still have Efree fuels . Probably pick up 10 gallons next trip South at Mucho Grande mark up brother to fuel my handhelds lol.
Shell e-free in Michigan is 90 octane. Check out ethanol free stations in Michigan on the web.

Latest posts

Back