So what's the current Two stroke oil favorite for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, OK. Yeah I remember, and I missed the boat. Thought maybe they'd started making it again or something. Had to triple check the date of the post. No big deal, I moved on to VP SEF... wish I had known I was going to cut as much as I did this summer, I would have done pump gas with something decent. Cost me a mint. But not a single worry about fuel related issues in my expensive saws.
Guess that's close to my answer too, just Trufuel instead. I burn less two stroke mix in a year than a lot of guys here burn in a day, the cost just isn't an issue.

I have a few quarts of MX2T as well, and no great attachment to it. If sold, I'd want to replace it with a couple quarts of something else to keep on hand though. Between the cost of a couple quarts of decent replacement oil, and a reasonable price to charge for the MX2T, it just wasn't worth it. If someone wants to pay an UNreasonable price........

Guess that's close to my answer too, just Trufuel instead. I burn less two stroke mix in a year than a lot of guys here burn in a day, the cost just isn't an issue.

I have a few quarts of MX2T as well, and no great attachment to it. If sold, I'd want to replace it with a couple quarts of something else to keep on hand though. Between the cost of a couple quarts of decent replacement oil, and a reasonable price to charge for the MX2T, it just wasn't worth it. If someone wants to pay an UNreasonable price........
If you want clean burning any of the alkylate based fuels mixed with an FD oil will burn very clean.
Something missed by most is that deposits in a two stroke in large part come from the fuel itself and not the oil.

Yeah at the tail end a few years ago I think I remember finding where you could buy 2T shipped from somewhere in Europe but it was $30+ for a quart. As much as I liked it I decided it was time to move on.

Yeah at the tail end a few years ago I think I remember finding where you could buy 2T shipped from somewhere in Europe but it was $30+ for a quart. As much as I liked it I decided it was time to move on.
MX2T originally sold for $3.50 a pint. It's excellant oil, but I wouldn't pay $30 a quarter for two cycle oil.

MX2T originally sold for $3.50 a pint. It's excellant oil, but I wouldn't pay $30 a quarter for two cycle oil.
That's right, I forgot it was in pints. It might have been even worse then, that $30+ might have been for a pint. I remember it was way beyond what I was willing to pay.

That's right, I forgot it was in pints. It might have been even worse then, that $30+ might have been for a pint. I remember it was way beyond what I was willing to pay.
The other thing is I am not certain that the Mobil 1 racing sold over seas is the same oil as Mx2T and Mobil 2R sold here.
They initially sold it in pints. When they renamed it 2R they sold it in quarts and it was dyed red.

Not by anyone who knows what the heck they are doing.
I dont know what I am doing either but have been running Sabre at 80:1 in a pair of KTM 250s one of which is about 180hrs and the other is closing in on 400hrs, KTM recommends doing top ends around 100hrs ? neither of these bikes have had the need to have the top ends opened up.
I had been running Sabre 50:1 in my Stihls for the last 20+ years but for the last couple have been using my bike gas at 80:1 because it makes keeping mixed gas simpler 91octane non-oxy fuel mixed at 80:1 with Sabre.

I dont know what I am doing either but have been running Sabre at 80:1 in a pair of KTM 250s one of which is about 180hrs and the other is closing in on 400hrs, KTM recommends doing top ends around 100hrs neither of these bikes have had the need to have the top ends opened up.
I had been running Sabre 50:1 in my Stihls for the last 20+ years but for the last couple have been using my bike gas at 80:1 because it makes keeping mixed gas simpler 91octane non-oxy fuel mixed at 80:1 with Sabre.
Running those kinds of hours with a MX bike is a great way to destroy a motor via a cracked piston.
I would also mention that you have no idea how that ratio is working other than neither bike have seized, which is an incredibly low bar.

Running those kinds of hours with a MX bike is a great way to destroy a motor via a cracked piston.
Yes
I check just checked my KTM brief case and it shows that I was mistaken, The piston, connecting rod, conrod bearing and crank pin should be all be changed at 80hrs.

Yes
I check just checked my KTM brief case and it shows that I was mistaken, The piston, connecting rod, conrod bearing and crank pin should be all be changed at 80hrs.
On a 250 mx bike if your any kind of rider the motor will be noticeably down on power between 50 and 100 hours due to ring and piston wear.
If you are an Enduro guy that's just put putting around you might get more hours before you start to lose compression.

I'm with you. I really don't see the point or added benefit of running 80-100:1. If you burn a quart of oil a year you save have the price of a quart of oil. What's a qt of amsoil cost? $15 so you save $7. What benefit do you get running that ragged edge to save $7/yr on 2 stroke oil?

On a 250 mx bike if your any kind of rider the motor will be noticeably down on power between 50 and 100 hours due to ring and piston wear.
If you are an Enduro guy that's just put putting around you might get more hours before you start to lose compression.
Yes I am just put putting around on the 250s, I raced a pair of Beta 300s for Hair Scramble the last two seasons and running 2 KTM 300TPIs this season as they seem to use less oil than having to mix. You know how it is one for practice and one for racing.

Yes I am just put putting around on the 250s, I raced a pair of Beta 300s for Hair Scramble the last two seasons and running 2 KTM 300TPIs this season as they seem to use less oil than having to mix. You know how it is one for practice and one for racing.

Are you doing talk to text? Hare scramble like the bunny rabbit.

KTM is kind of silly about the service schedule. The battery bike is 100 hours for the motor bearings.

Are you doing talk to text? Hare scramble like the bunny rabbit.

KTM is kind of silly about the service schedule. The battery bike is 100 hours for the motor bearings.
A Hare is not a Rabbit :surprised3: but are similar in appearance.
Hare scramble is a form of off-road motorcycle racing.

The Erzeberg hare scramble is perhaps the most notable.

TPI's can get away with less oil because they have no gasoline present in the crankcase. With that said many guys are turning up the oilers on them as parts are wearing very fast if they are ridden hard.

I thought about getting some of that from Walmart in the small bottle if I needed a hold over oil. I had enough Lucas left over to make a gallon of mix right now. I went with the Echo Red Armor, heard nothing but good out of it. And even that oil comes in $14 or more a quart when you figure it all out. I doesn't more up front but cheaper in long run. I won't buy oil for years now .
VP Racing makes the Echo Red Armor oil for them. I think Red Armor just changed their recipe but the VP stuff is great. Walmart does a clearance in the fall and I clear their shelves out. Was buying the 16 oz for $1.71 last week. I'm a hobbyist but I re-build saws so I have a little experience with it. Unfortunately I live in an area that forces us to use ethanol. I run pre-mix in the winter when they are more likely to sit for an extended period. Try the VP.

VP Racing makes the Echo Red Armor oil for them. I think Red Armor just changed their recipe but the VP stuff is great. Walmart does a clearance in the fall and I clear their shelves out. Was buying the 16 oz for $1.71 last week. I'm a hobbyist but I re-build saws so I have a little experience with it. Unfortunately I live in an area that forces us to use ethanol. I run pre-mix in the winter when they are more likely to sit for an extended period. Try the VP.
That's good to know. I now have just shy of a gallon of Red Armor cause I made up 2 gallons but I will try to remember that. But by the time I need oil again Walmart is liable to not carry it anymore. I did see the VP oil there and almost pot some of it as a stop gap solution.

Latest posts

Back