So what's the current Two stroke oil favorite for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the muffler off and it was ok inside. Nice and clean.
It’s ready, btw. Fuel lines were shot
Ok, cool. just hoping for some pics of the topend because of what some believe that saws cant be run on oil that is designed for water cooled engines. That has not been my experience over the years! CJ

You can, but that one time the saw gets super hot one summer, a water cooled oil can break down and cause some damage.

I run Amsoil Saber in my air-cooled paramotor - I've seen cylinder head temps measured at the base of the spark plug reach 400° during climb out on a 90°+ day. I'm full throttle for 2 minutes straight or longer to gain an altitude I'm comfortable with (more altitude = more options if the engine decides to crap out). Hotter days = a slower climb rate, so I'm on the throttle longer. I'd wager a water cooled oil would've given up 100° earlier in that climb.

B7E14533-0424-4350-903E-82C63FA91501.jpeg

Looks like I will be running 4 oz to 1 gal red armor in my old 16:1 saws from now on after reading all the posts in this thread.
Or Dominator , Bill will let you know his optimal ratio . He has had very good success with it . I have yet to do a trial with it within saws only Bikes & Snowmobiles.

I don't know much about old saws, but before I decided on a oil ratio for one I would want to know what type of bearings they have. Some of the old engines used things like babbitt and bronze in their bearings and really need alot more oil. Just something to think about.
Mid 60 ' s to mid 70's your good to go either roller caged Torrington ball bearings or needle bearings earlier than that sintered babbitt or bronze bearing were in vogue !

You'll get there grasshopper !
Cut some wood today and tried that cheap api tc oil i got from the discount store. A little smoke on start up but not much smell or hardly any smoke after warm up in the echo i cut a truck load and it ran fine after two tanks i pulled the sparkplug and the color looked dark brown.

Or Dominator , Bill will let you know his optimal ratio . He has had very good su esa with it . I have yet to do a trial with it within saws only Bikes & Snowmobiles.
Been running dominator for many years in all my 2 strokes both air and water cooled with excellent results. Cj

Been running Dominator in this since I fully restored it in '10. I hammer on it, too, whenever I get out on it, and it never misses a beat every season. 7k hard miles, and the compression feels the same as it did the day I first started it.

I'd run Saber, but it's too thick for the oil injection pump, IMO, and it would be mixed far too heavy. At idle I estimated it to be 50:1. At full throttle it's probably 10:1, lol. When she's cold, she'll fog the whole neighborhood out. :laugh: Warm, minimal smoke.

You can see the red Dominator in the clear injection lines.

tempImage1OxZwD.png

Been running Dominator in this since I fully restored it in '10. I hammer on it, too, whenever I get out on it, and it never misses a beat every season. 7k hard miles, and the compression feels the same as it did the day I first started it.

I'd run Saber, but it's too thick for the oil injection pump, IMO, and it would be mixed far too heavy. At idle I estimated it to be 50:1. At full throttle it's probably 10:1, lol. When she's cold, she'll fog the whole neighborhood out. :laugh: Warm, minimal smoke.

You can see the red Dominator in the clear injection lines.

View attachment 958318
I'am on to Interceptor currently in my Polaris 700 SKS . Intend the same with my Can-Am 370 which has been on Dominator for 8 yrs @ 50:1 . All my hand held air cooled run Sabre including my saws @ 50:1 for occasional used recreational units to 44:1 on all pro grade work saws ! P.S. nice RD , I had a 1970 RD-350 ran it on Bel-Ray or Yamalube kept it for 3 yrs until I moved up to the venerable Kawasaki Triples , H1 & H2 Series in 1972 & 73 !

The Widowmaker! That H2 was INSANE. What a missile! Always wanted one. I had a buddy way back that had an H1 - that was no slouch either. What a great sound - could hear him coming a mile out!

Wow, that's a pretty heavy mix for Saber. I run my paramotor at 66:1, which is pretty heavy for this oil. I run all my handheld equipment at 100:1, and it works great. Since we have no ethanol free fuel available at any pumps in MA, the lack of oil allows for a richer fuel/air mix, which is helpful on EPA-limited and non-adjustable carburetors. Lets those types of equipment run much stronger.

The Widowmaker! That H2 was INSANE. What a missile! Always wanted one. I had a buddy way back that had an H1 - that was no slouch either. What a great sound - could hear him coming a mile out!

Wow, that's a pretty heavy mix for Saber. I run my paramotor at 66:1, which is pretty heavy for this oil. I run all my handheld equipment at 100:1, and it works great. Since we have no ethanol free fuel available at any pumps in MA, the lack of oil allows for a richer fuel/air mix, which is helpful on EPA-limited and non-adjustable carburetors. Lets those types of equipment run much stronger.
Yeah , loved my 2T triples back in the day . My. 1971 H1 "Blue streak" was scary fast . My 1972 H1 Orange "Hell fire" was a much more refined ride however no slouch in the quarter mile either . My later H2 750 was awesome for reliability , but mind wrenching performance was just a flick of the wrist away , thank god Ralph Nader was preoccupied with the corvair , he would of had a field day with decommissioning Kawaski's fire breathing triples ! P.S. Yeah , Saber is recommended no richer than 50:1 up to 100:1 however I have trialed it at 40 :1 on high compression Commercial saw usage with minimum residue issues . At 44:1 within my pro grade saws & applications its squeaky clean , with a little puddling in the crankcase after 100 hrs run time . ;)

So these, and a bottle of Yamalube thats in the garage....

IMG-0386.jpg

Heavy firewood cutter that normally runs 40:1, but not opposed to bumping up closer to 50. Saws are Stihl 261, 362, 400, 500 and Husky 550, 562 and 572.

Which one burns cleaner using rec fuel?

View attachment 958483

Heavy firewood cutter that normally runs 40:1, but not opposed to bumping up closer to 50. Saws are Stihl 261, 362, 400, 500 and Husky 550, 562 and 572.

Not overly impressed with the Lucas it leaves no oil film behind but burns ok i have not tried the others. Have had great success with the master pro power sports sea and snow oil at oreilly auto parts it JASO FC rated and burns clean with little smoke and does leave behind a film.

I run 87 E0 since that is the only E0 available but i imagine the Red line would burn the clean being a ester but i don't know.

View attachment 958483

Yeah the lucas semi syn is fc , their full syn is fd rated . Royal purple is an ok full syn. in auto usage . Never used their 2t oils ? But at $30 a quart i will stick with Amsoil @ $12 lol.

Yeah , loved my 2T triples back in the day . My. 1971 H1 "Blue streak" was scary fast . My 1972 H1 Orange "Hell fire" was a much more refined ride however no slouch in the quarter mile either . My later H2 750 was awesome for reliability , but mind wrenching performance was just a flick of the wrist away , thank god Ralph Nader was preoccupied with the corvair , he would of had a field day with decommissioning Kawaski's fire breathing triples ! P.S. Yeah , Saber is recommended no richer than 50:1 up to 100:1 however I have trialed it at 40 :1 on high compression Commercial saw usage with minimum residue issues . At 44:1 within my pro grade saws & applications its squeaky clean , with a little pudding in the crankcase after 100 hrs run time . ;)
Good to know Saber can be run that heavy. Goes to show how good an oil it really is. I figured it would coke up like the cheaper oils at heavy doses.:cool:

Yeah the lucas semi syn is fc , their full syn is fd rated . Royal purple is an ok full syn. in auto usage . Never used their 2t oils ? But at $30 a quart i will stick with Amsoil @ $12 lol.
Lucas isn't certified and from the expiereance of others who have provided photo evidence it's pure garbage.
The Royal Puple is a marine oil.

Back