So what's the current Two stroke oil favorite for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here are the results of running Castrol for two seasons of firewood cutting. No noticable wear, cylinder crosshatch and piston machine marks still like new.
Quite low deposits in the exhaust port and muffler, next to nothing for varnish deposits around the rings or on the piston.
The oil seems to prefer running hot, there's nothing to speak of on the baffle for deposits, in fact you can still see the braze color in the corners of the baffle. The clean streak in the exhaust port is where I ran a finger, it dumped a bit of soot just recently from idling while I was running it to get some fresh gas in the carb after having it sit for 3 months.
Bit of a different story on top of the piston though, a thin even layer of black carbon deposit, you can still see the arrow on the piston pointing to the front. So it seems this oil is fine as far as wear goes, but I would like to see a bit less buildup on the top of the piston. This ms250 has seen a lot of heavy use in dry ash, so no lightweight limbing duties for it.
Overall OK oil if you run your equipment hot enough to prevent buildup, the price is reasonable too.
Will probably try Opti 2 next season, my uncle's been using it in his 024 AV super, cuts enough wood to heat his house all winter and the saw is still running strong after 30 years of use.
Opti 2 can be a little difficult to mix in cold weather i recommend you keep it in a warm place till you need to use it.

Who’s Bill? Lol

I’m Kevin. And thanks for the kind words. I’m just sharing what I’ve seen. I don’t really care what people do, just hate to see failures that could be prevented with some minor due diligence
Sorry Kevin , Who killed Bill ? lol . minor due diligence , or an ounce of prevention prevents a pound of cure. ;)

All gibberish to me but i know if you don't run good stuff in these engines they go down hill in a hurry and can be temperamental at times.
In a nut shell their temperamental to the tune , however have much more torgue than conventional saws in the cut . You may even noticed this with your trimmers ? P.S. Dolmar also has their version of Strato air induction !

In a nut shell their temperamental to the tune , however have much more torgue than conventional saws in the cut . You may even noticed this with your trimmers ?
Torque is noticed on certain trimmers but it all comes down to gear boxes with the max torque gear boxes that redmax has you can run 20 inches of line before noticing loss of power what you make up for in torque you also lose a 1000 rpms of rotating speed.

Opti 2 can be a little difficult to mix in cold weather i recommend you keep it in a warm place till you need to use it.
So true, found that out this week when I mixed a small batch for the leaf blower at -25c. Took a lot of shaking to mix it up, guess that's why they make an injection oil variation, the regular stuff would never flow properly at really cold temperatures.

So true, found that out this week when I mixed a small batch for the leaf blower at -25c. Took a lot of shaking to mix it up, guess that's why they make an injection oil variation, the regular stuff would never flow properly at really cold temperatures.
A tablespoon of kerosene will make the oil a little thinner and easier to mix in cold weather.

I know you think that video is impressive. It's not. Ponderosa Pine, of which I cut a bunch this year is super soft. My 361 blows through it ridiculously fast. And the stuff I am cutting is from a very arid climate with much closer growth rings.

And here is where I continue to struggle with the theme. Claims with no pictures. Scraping with a pick, which I have never done, produced very little carbon. Very little. So far every picture I have seen slamming stihl is one thats either been modified or running a heavier mix, or both. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but when one chooses to deviate from the manufacturers recommendations you are your own warranty station.

By now I am sure it seems as though I am a Stihl fan boy. Quite contrary. I am simply looking for real world results that I can relate to. And I'll gladly switch.
Until then, I'll just blindly continue to use what I use, probably for another 10 years.
Don't hold your breath @JRM ! I'm still waiting for Video evidence of his "ridiculously fast cutting 361", "blowing through" a 24" block of Pine!

In a nut shell their temperamental to the tune , however have much more torgue than conventional saws in the cut . You may even noticed this with your trimmers ? P.S. Dolmar also has their version of Strato air induction !
I have a Shindawa 14 " cutting head Commercial grade unit 15 yrs old & still a torque beast lol.

Latest posts

Back