So what's the current Two stroke oil favorite for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a Efco saw , think I mentioned that previously , Italian Manufacturer , distribution sucked. , dealers got screwed over bad . Quality saws for the buck !
Parts has been a issue i screwed up the shaft on mine last year so now it wears a husqvarna 223L shaft along with 1/4 flex cable and gear box. Works fine too i did replace the oem fuel line this year with stihl brand fuel line since the factory line shrunk and was causing a fuel leak.

Likely not that bad , it a reasonable oil for trimmer usage , Shell here in Canada , took it over from Citgo / Warren within Canadian Distribution !
I don't think Citgo ever made oil for Wally World. In the US it was always made by Warren.
Citgo does make great two cycle oils.
You ever tried Esso air cooled oil. I ran it in my saws when I lived outside of Kenora and it seemed to work well.

All Canadian Oils perform well , you know better than that silly ! To answer your question Super Tech was available at Kmart & Sentry back in the day & also Wally World via Shell Canada . Esso is another quality product , were previously a associate of Exxon oil I believe ?
Still believe they are under the Exxon- Mobil banner.

Scott @ the Chainsawr site might have parts , like I said the National distributors really hamstrung their dealerships . Cats breakfast across the board , much like Solo line up .
My problem was the 6 month back order because of covid so i had to mend and make do. That shaft is $50 if available and this husqvarna part was in the junk stash so i will save my money since the trimmer is getting traded off for a new unit soon.

When Inwas very young my dad had a 500cc Centurian
Had one of those myself, really liked it, had a great engine. Very reliable, easy on belts, all around quality machine. The previous owner used OMC, and that's what I used. Never had a bit of trouble with it, still ran strong when I sold it. Back in the '70s OMC and Merc oil where the go to oils for watercraft/liquid cooled 2 stroke. Oil related engine failure of outboards were uncommon back then, but they are easier on oil than air cooled engines as far as operating temperatures go. Wouldn't think of using it in a chainsaw (it's a full can) but I have an old 18 HP Johnson that could use it.

IMG_20220125_224751.jpg

Had one of those myself, really liked it, had a great engine. Very reliable, easy on belts, all around quality machine. The previous owner used OMC, and that's what I used. Never had a bit of trouble with it, still ran strong when I sold it. Back in the '70s OMC and Merc oil where the go to oils for watercraft/liquid cooled 2 stroke. Oil related engine failure of outboards were uncommon back then, but they are easier on oil than air cooled engines as far as operating temperatures go. Wouldn't think of using it in a chainsaw (it's a full can) but I have an old 18 HP Johnson that could use it.

View attachment 959548
No different than lawn boy oil which i use in my old johnson outboard.

Still believe they are under the Exxon- Mobil banner.
Very well might be , never really check between the cracks & crevices Ben ! P.S. Where around Kenora was your fishing outpost , Lake of the Woods area . I hunted around Sleeman , WMU 7-A & B & 10-A . Mucho Grande Venison on the hoof Amigo's !

someone used vegetable oil and damaged the seal on the clutch side
Ester based synthetics can also contribute to seal swelling & deformation , most if not all 2nd generation premium oil manufacturers have added additives or blended with PAO to resolve this issue .

Very well might be , never really check between the cracks & crevices Ben ! P.S. Where around Kenora was your fishing outpost , Lake of the Woods area . I hunted around Sleeman , WMU 7-A & B & 10-A . Mucho Grande Venison on the hoof Amigo's !
East Hawk Lake. Between Kenora and Vermillion Bay. The deer hunting was very good in that area the first few years I was up there, but dropped off precipitously once word got out.

East Hawk Lake. Between Kenora and Vermillion Bay. The deer hunting was very good in that area the first few years I was up there, but dropped off precipitously once word got out.
Yeah , deer grazing like dairy cows when I hunted up that way. The last I heard road kills were getting atrocious. Beautiful area none the less ;)

Your a man after my own heart CJ . I,am a little long in the tooth , spent the majority of my early teens in the Amateur Class , racing air cooled MX & Enduro's in the summer & Super stock & Factory Mod sleds in the winter in the late 60's to early 70's . Eventually dropped the cycle competition to devote more time to the sled racing dynamics , Oval Sprint / Enduro - Cross Country / Drag . The 70's were quite a turbulent & exciting time in 2 cycle oil & engine design . Air cooled engines were refined into multi cylinder applications until horsepower levels peaked to a critical path , requiring more consistent temperature control to achieve anymore reliable horsepower , liquid cooling was engineered into the mix . I did quite well as an independent racer of Arctic Cat & Yamaha , so well that in 1975 the local distributor for Polaris approached me with a full sponsorship . I agreed and spent 2 yrs travelling throughout North America Competing , Kawartha Cup in Peterborough Ontario for our National Championships , Eagle River Wisconsin for USSRA Championship , along with stops various other International Series Sprint & Endurance Race Series . Initially Quaker State & Shell were the Primary Series Oil Sponsors with Bel-Ray , Opti2 & Klotz as Associate Series Sponsors . I have used all above noted Oil Manufacturer products with great success in both Cycles & Sleds . Usually in Premix ratios of 40:1 in the MX Class Cycles & Air Cooled Class Sleds & 50:1 in the Enduro Class Cycles & Liquid Cooled Sleds . Also within saws at the same ratios but not the same predictable results ! lol. Later on the Oil technology again fell behind , when the Higher horsepower sleds needed more refined protection than the current Mineral based oils could deliver . Thus the niche was made for Blended Castor based oils in the 80' s , these blended castor oils allowed maximum engine failure protection , with reasonable teardown schedules for carbon fouling prevention . I did well enough eventually to achieve a full independent factory ride , a 650 TX Starfire Centurian Triple Free-air with Polaris for the 1978/79 season . Bob Eastman & Leroy Linblad had retired from active drivers , & Steve Thorson , Jerry Bunke & Brad Hulings from Mercury fame were hired on . Bob & Leroy continued on as Race Directors & Engineers respectively . I learned a lot from Leroy on chassis & suspension / track set up . Bob was great at Engine Design & Reliability Testing Protocols . I really was impressed with their devotion to oil testing perimeters , that I expanded it to my cycles in the off season . Anyhow your testimonials within your engine manufacturers & oil applications rings true to fact . I fondly recall my days in the sun with my 1970 Hondaka Super Rat , 1971 KX-350 Big-horn , 1972 Cz-250 MX & later 1977 Husky-390 & 1978 Can-Am 370 qualifier , which actually still own . I currently have run Dominator in the Can-Am , switched to Interceptor in Sept. My current 2 sleds Polaris 700 SKS Trail Sled with a reworked Liberty Engine sans power valves , have ran it at 50:1 with Interceptor or with 100:1 Saber premix added during injector system use . My other sled is a Polaris 850 Patriot RMK Mountain Sled with power valves , both sleds have numerous performance hours with no issues . Thanks for your input I concurr with your rational & findings brother & the memories ! :blob2:. P.S. R.I.P. Jim Adema , a personal friend from Belmont Michigan , who taught me porting 101 a fellow independent racer , Snow-Jet "Thunder-Jet pilot , until his death at Ironwood Michigan in 1975 , incredible engineer & human being :confused:
Small world! I was there with a friend around 1988ish. Was helping Felski farms and Paul Buckler for awhile. We would get parts from pro 5 and I believe Larry R was there at pro5 or even owned it. They gave us alot of help with the Polaris racing program. I was running drags at the time in stock [cough cough] and improved stock. Had a blast and miss them days. Now I just piss money away with BBC's and drag racing. Where are you located in CA? We have cabins in Blind River area.

Small world! I was there with a friend around 1988ish. Was helping Felski farms and Paul Buckler for awhile. We would get parts from pro 5 and I believe Larry R was there at pro5 or even owned it. They gave us alot of help with the Polaris racing program. I was running drags at the time in stock [cough cough] and improved stock. Had a blast and miss them days. Now I just piss money away with BBC's and drag racing. Where are you located in CA? We have cabins in Blind River area.
Yep the good ole days fun times , I remember 1974 at Alexandria Minnesota " Dayco Cup Championships !" Don Omadahl , Larry & Wes Pesak having a cigar smoking contest , Larry won , Donnie turned green lol . I almost never got the call from Polaris , when Leroy & Larry left for Bombardier in 76 with Yvon Durhamel & Mike Trap . Only lasted a year and both came back to Blue . I ran the last yr of my Contract on Donnies old RXL -340 Sno Pro Sled , after he got hurt in an after hours bar altercation lol. Then Jerry Bunke died in a late race freak altercation with Steve Thorson at the Toboggan Championships in March . Larry had a set back a few yrs back he was 2nd in charge @ Pro-5 , Burt Bassett was the principle owner in Roseau Minnesota . Illness caused Larry to move back home to Wisconsin & so has cut back a little at JRM due to these health reasons , probably cigar related lol . Still making performance clutch & pipe products in Menominee I believe . Yeah , small world , I hunt North of Blind River , Chapleau area for Moose . Have a hunting / fishing camp there . Play with the sleds with the Grand Kids , who are still trying to pass Grampa ! Cheers Brother. :cheers:

Yep the good ole days fun times , I remember 1974 at Alexandria Minnesota " Dayco Cup Championships !" Don Omadahl , Larry & Wes Pesak having a cigar smoking contest , Larry won , Donnie turned green lol . I almost never got the call from Polaris , when Leroy & Larry left for Bombardier in 76 with Yvon Durhamel & Mike Trap . Only lasted a year and both came back to Blue . I ran the last yr of my Contract on Donnies old RXL -340 Sno Pro Sled , after he got hurt in an after hours bar altercation lol. Then Jerry Bunke died in a late race freak altercation with Steve Thorson at the Toboggan Championships in March . Larry had a set back a few yrs back , so has cut back a little at JRM due to health reasons , probably cigar related lol . Still making performance clutch & pipe products in Wisconsin I believe . Yeah , small world , I hunt North of Blind River , Chapleau area for Moose . Have a hunting / fishing camp there . Play with the sleds with the Grand Kids , who are still trying to pass Grampa ! Cheers Brother. :cheers:
Been thinking of mixing up some non detergent sae 30 at 16:1 and see how long that echo will last till it carbon fouls the rings.
Sure it would kill the mosquitos.

Been thinking of mixing up some non detergent sae 30 at 16:1 and see how long that echo will last till it carbon fouls the rings.
Sure it would kill the mosquitos.
Actually it may surprise you , if you tune it accordingly (tad richer fuel to air ) with a proper heat range plug upgrade , i think it might be is keeper ! :blob2:

Back