So what's the current Two stroke oil favorite for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been thinking of mixing up some non detergent sae 30 at 16:1 and see how long that echo will last till it carbon fouls the rings.
Sure it would kill the mosquitos.
I have a unopened can of remington 16:1 mix from the 60's I would like to try sometime. Maybe I will save it for vintage saw days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220127-155703_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220127-155703_eBay.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 9
Well I haven't seen very much talk about Opti-2, does anyone still use it? Do you like it? In the 80's I used a lot of it, I didn't know anything at the time about mix ratio's (I knew 50:1 for my Evinrude) by my chainsaws, weed whackers I just squeezed the packet of Opti-2 into a gallon of regular gas and went with it, always worked fine.
Didn't know 1.8 oz to gallon was 71:1! So found a couple packages in my stuff, mixed up a packet (of opti) with 112 oz. of clear premium (92 oct.) makes it 62:1. anxious to try it. Especially when I get my new senix 4-stroke will use it for the first tank.
I have used it for along time but switched to red armor once I bought some new echo saws. I keep a couple of the small 1 gal packs in my car for emergency. I thought I read in the thread that opti 2 was real good oil. But your right 1.8oz to 1 gallon seems crazy.

24I have a unopened can of remington 16:1 mix from the 60's I would like to try sometime. Maybe I will save it for vintage saw days.
Don't t put it in one of your pristine Remington's B , only any Poulan you have nearby . I think the homogenous mass has separated , when Mosse's parted the waters Dude !:laughing:

:confused:

The same reason Nascar Crew Chiefs & Engine Chiefs spec different Engine oil viscocities & transmission & rear end gear lube viscocities during time trials & actually race conditions .To reduce parasitic drag & gain Peak horsepower & Net Torgue Values ! Engineers earn Mucho Dinaro's creating PERFORMANACE GAINS ! Which includes staying up at nite thinking this crap up brother ! :blob2:
Except we know that lean oil to fuel ratios make less power.

I've always used NGK exclusively bought from Napa and have never had an issue. I did use Champions for a time in Polaris Snomobiles, but always thought they were lower quality and less reliable.
Have to watch out for Chi Com knock offs now days.
Champion in the Original Starfires , Denso in the Centurians , NGK in the Liberty's & Patriots were & are the plugs of choice to the enlightened !

Except we know that lean oil to fuel ratios make less power.
Most Definately Ben in theory , but that's when additives have taken over now as to produce the xtra power without the parasitic drag of xtra oil . Also new ring technology seals the piston off better preventing blow by at extreme temps within higher compression engine today . My buddy who has raced GP bikes with Yvon Durhamel back in the day & I were just discussing the leaner oil ratio benefits within horsepower gains in Vintage GP 2T Bikes e.g.: Kawasaki & Yamaha 70's era bike Series & Talladaga !

I tried the NGK cross referenced plug in my lawn boy and it was hard to start and fouled two with in a month but when i put the Champion CJ14 back in it starts right up and it has been going strong on the plug for two years.
Lawn boys don't like NGK plugs.
Yeah , something to do with old school engines liking old school technology ! :laughing: Sorry couldn' t pass it up J !

Most Definately Ben in theory , but that's when additives have taken over now as to produce the xtra power without the parasitic drag of xtra oil . Also new ring technology seals the piston off better preventing blow by at extreme temps within higher compression engine today . My buddy who has raced GP bikes with Yvon Durhamel back in the day & I were just discussing the leaner oil ratio benefits within horsepower gains in Vintage GP 2T Bike e.g.: Kawasaki H-3 & Yamaha YZ4 Racing Series & Tallegaga !
Except no such magic additives exist and piston and ring designs in two cycles haven't changed in a long time. ISO EGD, the most stringent two cycle oil spec is probaly over 20 years old for instance. Two stroke development oil development has been stagnant for years.
Plus no racing form that still uses two cycles and where max HP is an advantage runs high ratios. Karts for instance use really heavy ratios of 16-20:1. Same story for the last GP bikes.

Except no such magic additives exist and piston and ring designs in two cycles haven't changed in a long time. ISO EGD, the most stringent two cycle oil spec is probaly over 20 years old for instance. Two stroke development oil development has been stagnant for years.
Plus no racing form that still uses two cycles and where max HP is an advantage runs high ratios. Karts for instance use really heavy ratios of 16-20:1. Same story for the last GP bikes.

Ben , seriously you have to start thinking out side the box dude ! #1 never said the additives were within the oil , rather the fuel package . You never heard of secret race fuel additives . It's all about the homogenous fuel / oil package brother ! Actually , apparently Yvons Green Meanie a 1972 H-2R-750 Triple ran a caster based 25:1 oil to special fuel ratio with higher energy capacitor ignition system than production stock . Anyhow my buddy remarked that if they could have run 50:1 or higher how much more horsepower could be achieved with today's L- Ring or Caber composite ring mettalurgy today " especially within dissipating the heat away " from the piston to the cylinder wall to the cooling fins or water jackets . Also the Yamaha TZ-3 750 GP prototypes that Kenny Roberts ran also ran 40:1 caster based race fuel blends due to their liquid cooling . I only road one GP bike , but you can ' t compared to cart technology to GP bikes . The point is that leaner oil ratio's today may be pushing the envelope , but when utilized by the experts in conjunction with today's more stable oil technology , true performance gains are achieved without sacrificing reliability . P.S. Don' t know anything of Recreational Vintage Cycle Sanctioning bodies or Current Series never said I did ...Nada !

Ben , seriously you have to start thinking out side the box dude ! #1 never said the additives were within the oil , rather the fuel package . You never heard of secret race fuel additives . It's all about the homogenous fuel / oil package brother ! Actually , apparently Yvons Green Meanie a 1972 TZ-750 Triple ran a caster based 25:1 oil to special fuel ratio with higher energy capacitor ignition system than production stock . Anyhow my buddy remarked that if they could have run 50:1 or higher how much more horsepower could be achieved with today's L- Ring or composite ring mettalurgy today " especially within dissipating the heat away " from the piston to the cylinder wall to the cooling fins or water jackets . Also the Yamaha YZ3 750 GP prototypes that Kenny Roberts ran also ran 40:1 caster based race fuel blends due to their liquid cooling . I only road one GP bike , but you can ' t compared to cart technology to GP bikes . The point is that leaner oil ratio's today may be pushing the envelope , but when utilized by the experts in conjunction with today's more stable oil technology , true performance gains are achieved without sacrificing reliability . P.S. Don' t know anything of Recreational Vintage Cycle Sanctioning bodies or Current Series never said I did ...Nada !
Dang canucks and there fancy scientific speeches!

I have never had a defective or quality control reported NGK or BOSCH Spark plug in over 40 yrs , actually pretty good track record with oem Denso plugs also for some reason lol.
Yeah I’ve always liked ngk plugs. Suzuki 4 stroke 70 or 75 horse. Burnt the tip the electrode fires onto off. Didn’t run 10 minutes. Pretty odd. Just a one off. Replaced that one again and never changed the plugs again. Had some trouble with spark plugs in that engine However I’ll blame ngk for one single failed plug. Not close to enough reason to stop using them. I like them very well

Ben , seriously you have to start thinking out side the box dude ! #1 never said the additives were within the oil , rather the fuel package . You never heard of secret race fuel additives . It's all about the homogenous fuel / oil package brother ! Actually , apparently Yvons Green Meanie a 1972 H-2R-750 Triple ran a caster based 25:1 oil to special fuel ratio with higher energy capacitor ignition system than production stock . Anyhow my buddy remarked that if they could have run 50:1 or higher how much more horsepower could be achieved with today's L- Ring or Caber composite ring mettalurgy today " especially within dissipating the heat away " from the piston to the cylinder wall to the cooling fins or water jackets . Also the Yamaha TZ-3 750 GP prototypes that Kenny Roberts ran also ran 40:1 caster based race fuel blends due to their liquid cooling . I only road one GP bike , but you can ' t compared to cart technology to GP bikes . The point is that leaner oil ratio's today may be pushing the envelope , but when utilized by the experts in conjunction with today's more stable oil technology , true performance gains are achieved without sacrificing reliability . P.S. Don' t know anything of Recreational Vintage Cycle Sanctioning bodies or Current Series never said I did ...Nada !
Fuel has improved with things like MTBE, isoprene, etc. These have nothing to do with using less oil in your fuel, which is what we were discussing. It's also of not that pump fuel quality has actually decreased over time given the various RFG requirements on RVP, etc.
And no offense intended but your talking ancient history. Like 4 and a half decades ago. Yea things have changed since then, but very little change in the last 20 or more years. The 100:1 products amsoil sells have been around for decades yet no serious racer uses them at those ratios. Same with Opti. Both are old technology to deal with plug fouling and deposits that existed decades ago that simply are not an issue now. Haven't been an issue since FC and GC came out really.

Fuel has improved with things like MTBE, isoprene, etc. These have nothing to do with using less oil in your fuel, which is what we were discussing. It's also of not that pump fuel quality has actually decreased over time given the various RFG requirements on RVP, etc.
And no offense intended but your talking ancient history. Like 4 and a half decades ago. Yea things have changed since then, but very little change in the last 20 or more years. The 100:1 products amsoil sells have been around for decades yet no serious racer uses them at those ratios. Same with Opti. Both are old technology to deal with plug fouling and deposits that existed decades ago that simply are not an issue now. Haven't been an issue since FC and GC came out really.
No offence taken , however your in error again Ben . I was just relating information that was passed on by a very knowledgible engine builder & former Road bike Racer. The gentleman I spoke of owns & operates a Performance Shop . He builds high performance recreational & race 4-cycle & 2-cycle engines . Tests various engines with his in-house dyno . It was he that mentioned the potential performance & reliability of current FC & FD Synthetics @ leaner oil ratio's in comparison to what I refer to as FB mineral oils & bottom shelf FC synthetic oils. That yes , are 4 decades old technology , however light yrs ahead of 7 decade old SAE.30 Non detergent oil ratio's technology @ 16:1 . Again you are in error that throwing more oil into the mix to seal piston rings & provide more energy in the fuel charge is also not ancient thinking & 4 decade old science brother ! Yes Opti2 & Saber were designed to run at leaner ratios to reduce potential plug fouling , today more of a emissions abatement strategy . Anyhow , I think as a Certified Stationary Engineer , I comprehend what my associate said , within the more oil & energy is more than satisfied buy the Race fuel energy efficiency increases today . Less oil in the mix in a properly operating & tuned engine is not necessarily a liability in regards to performance or reliability ! :)

Back