So what's the current Two stroke oil favorite for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KTM never stopped building and developing the 2 stroke. The big 3 keep pushing the 4 stroke and they have the majority of the $$$ so that is where we are at. At some local tracks they let modded 300's run against the 450 4 strokes and thats when the complaining starts. It is a shame that a kid starting out has to spend $3500 on a 4st cylinder head so he is competitive vs $2000 for a whole engine for a 2 stroke. But as usual follow the $$$. And yes I ran and raced both. I am faster on a 4 stroke but have way more fun on a 2 stroke! That is all I own now. CJ
Kawasaki , Suzuki & Honda
You are bringing up two seperate and unrelated issues. Yes, you can make more HP with doped race fuels and yes more oil makes more power. One doesn't invalidate the other.
Those Yamaha outboards run much longer at 50:1 BTW and I have purchased more Yamaha outboards than you ever will given my previous occupation.
ETEC isn't remotely the same thing as it has targeted oiling no gasoline in the crankcase.
Someone this stuff is so elementary it's ridiculous and yet you still continue to come to all sorts of false conclusions.
Elementary Watson but you still miss the bullseye majority of the time Sherlock ( less oil in the ratio is a world class engineering fact ) , I believe your beginning to take this way to personal Ben . I have already stated 3 times more oil makes more horsepower , but at what risk . Also owned a 1997 & 2000. Yamaha 4hp & 35 hp outboard s , life cycle over 25 yrs collectively @ 100:1 as recommended by the Manufacturer Ben !

Yes, in the use of steel below ground storage tanks.
MTBE has a very distinct taste/smell and can be detected by the human nose and tongue in the parts per billion range. People noticed it getting into the groundwater. What they didn't detect is gasoline was getting into there groundwater for years. Including when it had high levels of benzene in it, which is a known carcinogen.
So in the EVA'S wisdom they banned MTBE after some lobbying from the corn farmers. The reality was it was storage tanks that where the problem and not MTBE.

Kawasaki , Suzuki & Honda

Elementary Watson but you still miss the bullseye majority of the time Sherlock , I believe your beginning to take this way to personal brother . I have already stated 3 times more oil makes more horsepower , but at what risk !
Its funny that now KTM sells more two strokes than Suz, Kawasaki and Honda sell dirt bikes.
I am not taking it personally at all. Go back and read what you wrote, sherlock.. your suggesting that because we have fuels that make more HP it's a good idea to run oil ratio's that make less. Then you go on to call using more oil antiquated. The idea that less oil is better in any way is antiquated in reality as it stems from a time well before we had decent oils.
And the fact remains that no OPE manufacturer reccomends 100:1 ratios that I have ever seen. Of they truly were beneficial the OEMS would jump on that bandwagon. Instead it's peddled by bath tub blenders like Opti and Amsoil that have never produced a single drop of oil in their history and rely on third party company's like lubrizol to formulate their recipes.

You are bringing up two seperate and unrelated issues. Yes, you can make more HP with doped race fuels and yes more oil makes more power. One doesn't invalidate the other.
Those Yamaha outboards run much longer at 50:1 BTW and I have purchased more Yamaha outboards than you ever will given my previous occupation.
ETEC isn't remotely the same thing as it has targeted oiling no gasoline in the crankcase.
Someone this stuff is so elementary it's ridiculous and yet you still continue to come to all sorts of false conclusions.

MTBEbhas a very distinct taste and can be detected by the human nose and tongue in the parts per billion range. People noticed it getting into the groundwater. What they didn't detect is gasoline was getting into there groundwater for years. Including when it had high levels of benzene in it, which is a known carcinogen.
Ben , was a Health & Safety Officier for 10 yrs I'am quite aware of all the Physical & Chemical Agents & Recognized or Suspected Human Carcinogens of the OHSA . Also relatively knowledgeable within Due Diligence of the Environmental Protection Agency & its Act !

Ben , was a Health & Safety Officier for 10 yrs I'am quite aware of the all the Physical & Chemical Agents & Recognized or Suspected Human Carcinogens of the OHSA . Also relatively knowledgeable within Due Diligence of the Environmental Protection Agency & its Act !
Well then you should be aware that MTBE was neverproven to be a carcinogen and really the only ill health effects from it in studys arise from breathing massive quantities that are not realistic in the real world.
On top of that health a safety officers in industry are a joke and really are not educated at all on the topics I mentioned above.
However, I do have a Bachelors of science in Environmental Science so I might have cracked a book or two on the subject. And not 50 years ago.

Its funny that now KTM sells more two strokes than Suz, Kawasaki and Honda sell dirt bikes.
I am not taking it personally at all. Go back and read what you wrote, sherlock.. your suggesting that because we have fuels that make more HP it's a good idea to run oil ratio's that make less. Then you go on to call using more oil antiquated. The idea that less oil is better in any way is antiquated in reality as it stems from a time well before we had decent oils.
Antiquated engineering methology to be precise . The current FD oils has sufficient viscosity to seal & lubricate at much leaner ratio's & the inherent more volatile current race fuels provide the additional required btu's , according to my quite knowledgeable associate who owns the local speed shop , who for your information dynoed 6 of the sleds entered into this yrs , I-500 Race in Soo Micigan Feb 5th !

Well then you should be aware that MTBE was neverproven to be a carcinogen and really the only ill health effects from it in studys arise from breathing massive quantities that are not realistic in the real world.
On top of that health a safety officers in industry are a joke and really are not educated at all on the topics I mentioned above.
However, I do have a Bachelors of science in Environmental Science so I might have cracked a book or two on the subject.
Something you don't understand about Recognized & Suspected ? Also don't t put words into my mouth to leverage your argument . I never mentioned MTBE as a Recognized Carcinogen ! P.S. I was a management appointed H&S officer & Certified Indutrial Hygenist .

Antiquated engineering methology to be precise . The current FD oils has sufficient viscosity to seal & lubricate at much leaner ratio's & the inherent more volatile current race fuels provide the additional required btu's , according to my quite knowledgeable associate who own the local speed shop , who for your information dynoed 6 of the sleds entered into this yrs , I-500 Race in Soo Micigan Feb 5th !
Your associate doesn't know squat and you dont know that in regards to FD oils. Fuel is no more volatile now than in it was in the past. Pump gas if anything is less volatile. BTU's likewise are roughly the same. The only thing that change from today to back when you were in the game is oxygenates. However, they have been banned by some sanctioing bodies as it's an easy way to cheat, especially in stock classes. I might know a thing or two about that because I was doing so when I raced sleds back in the mid 90's.

Something you don't understand about Recognized & Suspected ? Also don't t put words into my mouth to leverage your argument . I never mentioned MTBE as a Recognized Carcinogen !
And something you don't realise is the methodology that came up with Suspected label. It was BS and politically motivated as I alluded to above.

Your associate doesn't know squat and you dont know that in regards to FD oils. Fuel is no more volatile now than in it was in the past. Pump gas if anything is less volatile. BTU's likewise are roughly the same. The only thing that change from today to back when you were in the game is oxygenated. However, they have been banned by some sanctioing bodies as it's an easy way to cheat, especially in stock classes. I might know a thing or two about that because I was doing so when I raced sleds back in the mid 90's.
I guess he is being vastly overpaid then lol. Hey , answer me this , what happens when dissolved oxygen within a relatively high octane race fuel flashes at above ambient atmospheric pressures Ben ?

And the fact remains that no *** manufacturer reccomends 100:1 ratios that I have ever seen. Of they truly were beneficial the OEMS would jump on that bandwagon. Instead it's peddled by bath tub blenders like Opti and Amsoil that have never produced a single drop of oil in their history and rely on third party company's like lubrizol to formulate their recipes.
Today's modern synthetic oils produce more or = btu's in the burn at lesser ratio's is my accertion Ben . Also i have seen Amsoil Blending & Distribution Plant , I had a tour personally fully automated , decanting to labelling & shipping , they buy their base oils & blend to spec of required product recipe !

Today's modern synthetic produce more or = btu's at lesser ratio's is my accertion Ben . Also i have seen Amsoil Blending & Distribution Plant , I had a tour personally fully automated , decanting to labelling & shipping , they buy their base oils & blend to spec of required product recipe !
Yea, no.
And I have seen the Amsoil facility in Superior as well. It's a ware house and mixing facility.
And those specs the blend to are generated by a 3rd party company with a real R&D department like Lubrizol.

KTM never stopped building and developing the 2 stroke. The big 3 keep pushing the 4 stroke and they have the majority of the $$$ so that is where we are at. At some local tracks they let modded 300's run against the 450 4 strokes and thats when the complaining starts. It is a shame that a kid starting out has to spend $3500 on a 4st cylinder head so he is competitive vs $2000 for a whole engine for a 2 stroke. But as usual follow the $$$. And yes I ran and raced both. I am faster on a 4 stroke but have way more fun on a 2 stroke! That is all I own now. CJ
P.S. CJ , Burt Bassett was the principal owner at Pro-5 , Larry Rugland was his right hand man . Larry has returned to LRM in Menomine Wisconsin. , his hometown a few yrs back bud !

Yea, no.
And I have seen the Amsoil facility in Superior as well. It's a ware house and mixing facility.
And those specs the blend to are generated by a 3rd party company with a real R&D department like Lubrizol.
I never said it was a proprietary internally designed recipe Ben . Outsourcing of such R & D is not something out of the ordinary , actually the opposite for numerous reasons in today's environment !

Latest posts

Back