Solo Chainsaw's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Juhana

Good to hear you bought one of these excellent machines!:bowdown:

I promise that you will love her;)

Here my 2007 Solo 681:D

Please do not forget pictures when you got her:clap:

Best regards
Björn

Beo: What´s your opinion about Solo chainsaw production being moved to Austria? Any affection on quality? Local big automotive box-store sells Solo, but only smaller models: http://motonet.fi/fi/kategoria/2650/792532/Ketjusahat-ja-tarvikkeet?order=3

I noticed that some of the Solo boxes had text "Made in Germany" and other had´nt. I ordered mine from a small engine workshop, who sells Echo and Solo.

leecopland: There is so much interesting stuff for sale on Kijiji!

Hi guys

Kijiji.....have never heard of in germany and must have had a Wikipedia look to learn what you mean.
It's a web swap market:clap:
In germany it has an other name and I found nice saws there:D.

Lee, an old 650 VA?
This are good saws. I have one too. And a 620 and big 660:cool:.

Can upload some pictures of them when wanted.

Juhana,
I don't know the quality differences from the new built Solos made on Austria or germany but I am nearly sure that they still were all built in Sindelfingen germany.

Most of the german forum user prefer the Dolmar 7900 or the later versions because the first big Solos have had some quality problems.
The mine not. She still works and screams like the first day:heart:

Big problem is the missing and rare Solo dealers near my place.
Sellers are enough but service is nothing:cry:

Yes you are right. In your link they just sell the smaller ones. Why not the big fun makers?

Cheers
Björn

Beo: Few shops / markets in Finland sell Solo and even fewer professional models. I see two reasons for that, 1) Importer in Finland was changed 2012, and 2) marketing has always been very limited.

I´m still glad that some big box stores have taken Solo saws for sale. You can indeed get all Solo models from here - from small engine -specialized shops that sell Solo. Teräosa is importer for Solo from 2012 -> http://www.teraosa.fi/, I ordered from mr. Jääskeläinen - http://www.jaaskelainen.fi/konekipina/

We don´t have Kijiji here, I´ve just sometimes searched for parts etc. and very often got results from Kijiji.

What i´ve understood, Solo saws from mid-year 2014 will be produced in Austria:

"Die Garten- und Forstgeräte von solo werden ab Jahresmitte am österreichischen Produktionsstandort Obdach in der Steiermark produziert, wo AL-KO heute schon hochwertige Rasenmäher und Traktoren fertigt. Damit können die Produktqualität und die flexible Produktversorgung auch künftig sichergestellt werden." -> http://www.al-ko.com/de/solobyalko/solo-ist-jetzt-solo-by-al-ko/

Hi Juhana

Yes, it seems so that since this year the machines were built in Austria.

There was an topic in german forum but I hadn´t followed it further. Because my most interest are the vintage saws.
But I believe that Solo will hold its quality. The mine is a very strong runner and she is my best working saw.:D

She will stay for ever I hope:bowdown:

here we have www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de here and it is full with vintage saws:clap:.
With some luck very cheap....

I hope that you will get your 681 soon.....you get one with heating?

Don´t forget to show pictures:)

Best regards
Björn

So, here my next Solos;)

This is my 660 VA. A not often to find 81cc saw:bowdown:
She works great:chainsaw:

And this is my 650 VA.
She also runs great. 62cc engine.:heart:

And here my smallest Solo. A 620 VA. She has ignition problems and is a non runner this moment.:cry:

And here a look on the frontside of them. The 660 has a different front handle. This handle is sometimes to see on later small models.

All have the same muffler.
Very early versions of this series have had cast alloy muffler. I search these models:cool:

Best regards
Björn

Yeah the 290/340 Homelites and the 647/654 were prone to shaking their carbs loose the 2 bolts holding on the manifold would keep coming loose I repaired a lot of them

The manifold bolts are very hard to get at, unless I'm doing something wrong. I've managed to acquire two more 54 (340) since last post.

Lee

Picked up a Craftsman 3.1/20" or 360 352010 chainsaw today at the junk yard. I've got it up and running good but need a clutch cover for it, from what I've been told it's a craftsman badged Solo. Here is a pic or two.

Attachments

• craftsman3 (1).JPG
    craftsman3 (1).JPG
    66 KB · Views: 37
  • craftsman3 (2).JPG
    craftsman3 (2).JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 36
  • craftsman3 (3).JPG
    craftsman3 (3).JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 37
Hi lee

This will not be easy to find a piston. On german ebay sometimes complete 660s go about 100 Euro. Just engine parts are very rare.

Does no other 52mm piston fit with light modifications?

The problem in buying a partsaw is missing typeplates. Identifying is just possible with cylinder bore.

Hope you find your parts!

Hi guys

Here is my 642:)

She runs great with lovely sound, butch the clutch spring is worn:confused:

But in near future I will get a new one:D

Best regards
Björn

Now this is a beauty. Solo Twins are easier to find here than 642s. (Not necessarily cheaper, though)

Solo sure loved their colors. How many different shades of blue on the Rexes, then they use yellow, red, orange, black, white.... The 642s I've seen pictured were all white and orange.

Chris B.

Back