[solo rigging] 1-man Fishing Pole technique?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eye.heart.trees

arborjunky
Reaction score
Is there any reason you couldn't set a Fishing Pole rig configuration, and simply have the bullrope's tail exit the basal anchorage & travel right up to you in the tree?

I see all kinds of issues so far as rope-interactions (piece comes banging-into your control-rope leg of the bullrope) but suspect in many cases they could be mitigated by setting a couple other anchors....biggest issue I can imagine would simply be getting the line tight if you're pulling the tail end of the rope from the canopy you just wouldn't have the same pre-tensioning strength but I can't imagine that's a deal breaker?

Would love to hear thoughts, and apologies if there's something obvious about this idea that negates it on its face, have been contemplating it a few days now and - provided I've got my rope anchored safely - feel I could do this successfully (I, of course, would triple check that my rope was long enough, in the particular case where I want to go try this my rope is farrr longer than needed so know I'll be fine there :) )

1) Someone must untie the piece lowered.
2) It would increase the load on the fishing pole by 150%, minus friction.

Why not just take a friction device up in the tree for the climber to use to lower?

1) Someone must untie the piece lowered.
2) It would increase the load on the fishing pole by 150%, minus friction.

Why not just take a friction device up in the tree for the climber to use to lower?

I know it'd need to be untied but that's inherent to all roped pieces I drop (is there any way for me to drop a roped piece, and then pull that rope back up? Cannot fathom how there is, but you say that as-if it's particular to this method?)

I do use a friction device (Safebloc) as terminal, and frequently have a pair of XL's feeding the Bloc. I do get that, by doing the 'basal & back', that I'm doubling-up on the anchor point (why did you say 150%? I thought you double when you do a basal tie?), *BUT*.....while it'd be increasing the net force at that point, wouldn't it still be better since, while a bit more force, that force is now acting WAY more in-line with the tree (IE you're taking advantage of columnar branches & trunk and pushing the force "into them" to 'squish' them in compression, whereas with the normal approach - even though it's lower weight - that weight/force is at the worst angling possible.

I guess I was thinking of this as a technique for solo-rigging of areas where you dislike the integrity of the final anchor position, you're already using a Safebloc in that posiition, so instead of just having 100% of the forces on that limb pulling downward, sure you're upping forces a lil BUT they're now forces that're in-compression along the limb & trunking!!!

Hope that made sense, am eager to hear replies now that I've put it this way! It's certainly not a routine technique, just something I was thinking could be a tool for those spots where, even w/ the Safebloc, you'd still want a lil more help ensuring the integrity of that last anchoring point....this does increase force as you mention but sometimes 3X the force is OK if the force-vectors are significantly more favorable!

Latest posts

Back