Solo saw identification help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A guy down the way from me is selling this solo saw and a dinker Homelite for $40 for both. I’m new to Solo saws and I can’t seem to figure out what model it is and the seller seems to know nothing about saws. AD068315-84AE-4C26-995B-0EC306036B0F.jpeg01187F8C-9F84-4364-9E84-45EAD38F6F99.jpeg

Looks like a 645, 45cc later model. Check the tag shown in first photo. This is one of the saws that Solo designed to have the cylinder bolt onto the plastic crankcase. The lower half of the clamshell is that crankcase.

Please be aware Solo is out of business and new parts are not available except from the European successor to Solo. Online sellers are about only places that may have parts. There is a seller "enzonelly" in Germany that may carry some parts.
Solo 645 photo 1.jpg Solo 645 photo 2.jpg Solo 645 IPL.jpg

Roger that. I appreciate the ID and the heads up. Never minded working on clamshell saws too much. Rebuilt a couple 039’s and they weren’t too painful. I had heard that solo saws were decent so I tossed around the idea of a kick around saw for $40 that would double as a fun project and add to the collection

Solos are very good saws. I just sold a non functioning Solo 680 powerhead on eBay. The winning bidder was from Italy. Some people will go to great lengths to get one.
I'd buy that one if I were you. If nothing else, you should be able to re-sell it at a profit.

Reese, yeah for $40 you can’t go wrong. Solo chainsaws were great saws. I have a 644, 651, 662, 680 (and a 645 I don't mention). Towards the end, Solo went to this 635, 636, 645 design. I learned the hard way about this design.

I had bought a 636 that seller said ran. Cleaned it and got it running once. Took it apart, the bottom end was rusty, old rust. The base seal is a rubber ring with loops at each end to go around the bearings, part # 125 on that IPL page. From the look of the base seal it had leaked in moisture along the front.

Lesson learned: if you go for the 645 look for exterior rust and make sure it pulls over easy.

Thanks for the replies! This is all awesome info. I’m going to try and scoop it up tomorrow or Sunday. Hopefully everything checks out alright. I’ll keep y’all posted with how it turns out.

Looks like a 645, 45cc later model. Check the tag shown in first photo. This is one of the saws that Solo designed to have the cylinder bolt onto the plastic crankcase. The lower half of the clamshell is that crankcase.

Please be aware Solo is out of business and new parts are not available except from the European successor to Solo. Online sellers are about only places that may have parts. There is a seller "enzonelly" in Germany that may carry some parts.
View attachment 955912 View attachment 955913 View attachment 955914
This looks very similar to theHomelite 47 and 54 Solo design if not built. Check Acer's chainsaw sight. I have a parts saw if you need parts.

Latest posts

Back