Some city slicker that wants to play in the forest.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone knows all the useless, deviant, scheming idjits are in HR. Both private and public sector. That is all. You're welcome.

This thread is like saying all politicians are self-serving and untrustworthy. What a load of...ummm...well...hold on...there could be something to that...bad example.

Well, like I said before, but apparently didn't type slow enough for some people to read, it's the same attitude that the enviros have that all loggers are cheating timber thiefs and don't give a hoot about the condition of the land. It is a narrow minded view, by folks who have no idea what really goes on. Nuff said--unless some folks want facts and figures looked up.

The grass is cut, the rain can fall.

Absolutes seem pointless.

As this is the thread for ranting, here goes...:

Surely no sector is without it's useless idjits, just as every sector has some absolute champions at the other end of the spectrum?

As a "city slicker" who's now enjoying getting to the end of each very long day with no money in his pocket and no energy left in his tired, bleeding and bruised body, I'm somewhat 'conflicted'. Sure, there ain't no use on the hillside for an object orientated programmer who stands out like a sore thumb some days and has very little bush sense, but every one-eyed tosser (anybody, and in my real world, there's a few of them) that wants to pigeon-hole me as someone who won't last long in the bush will be served their words and I'll expect every one of said bastards to eat and choke on them if need be.

This city slicker will earn respect the old fashioned way - hard, bloody work, owning my mistakes, never giving up, and never backing down when his principles are being tested, putting his ego aside to ask and learn, and if anyone still has a problem with that they can kiss my once chair-warming, city-dwelling arse.

I've been fortunate to work in a few varied sectors over the years and there have been brilliant people in all of them, and useless idjits too, but to suggest any sector holds a mortgage on incompetence or laziness is misguided. I'm not denying that some jobs expose said undesirable traits faster than others, but that doesn't automatically mean other jobs or sectors knowingly harbour or foster such traits either.

/rant

Last edited:
Slowp ; I would never shake a ladies hand hard . I'm not talkin about shakin a girls hand . And I didn't try to get the grab on those guys . They were just effeminate males who must not have had a dad to teach them how to give a man a hand shake .

Yup I have an extremly narrow opinion of most everyone who wants to bother me in the pursuit of turning Alaska into a stump patch .

And yes , I'm 100% pro PEBBLE !!!!!!

A few words of advise

Matt
Just to continue where I left off . It was not easy to break in even in those days . I was meet with much doubt not so much my age but the fact I was from back East And would never be able to fall timber in the northwest . Well I did and went on all over the west falling timber. Ended up falling for Columbia Helicopters With some of the best timber fallers in the World and was very well respected . So go get it

BS .
It's easy to propound a dogma(evolution) when everyone closes their mind to the bulk of the evidence that disproves that dogma .

Burn coal?

I guess I can sleep better knowing the earth is in fact the center of the solar system. Glad its flat too, too bad North America is on the underside though.

Last edited:
Iam in far northwestern corner of Vt Swanton

Been through there couple times on the way to Alburg. The boss tells me the diner with the big window on 78 is a good place for breakfast. Never have time to stop. He goes up to Alburg just about every weekend during the summer. Did you go to Fourniers auction? If you did was there anything good?

yeah its ok i cut for a guy thats just about that far out there too- I can only imagine what he thinks about my take on some things. We have been around each other long anough now that we can make fun of each others sides pretty well now, though it was shocking, and a bit dicey, early on (you think WHAT?)

Of course, i gave up on conspiracy theories. Give me one worth actually believing and I may pay attention.

Aburgh

Ya that diner can be good havent been there in years though . No did not go to the auction this year . Last time I went I did score a real nice chip bucket for my Volvo loader .

Falling stories

You would like to hear falling stories . well I really should write a book about all my falling travels starting with horses in the 35 below winters of past . To falling for Columbia on the coast . I often dont believe it all happened . And still doing today .

Cal Fire is a good place to start. You have to be persistent!!! Find out when the application process begins and submit to every unit you can drive to. Try to do ride-alongs with any fire district or department. Keep your mouth shut and your ears open. Visit every USFS fire station or ranger headquarters you can find. Show up dressed cleanly with a collared shirt, no black death metal t-shirt or beer logo shirt. Your car should have no political or other bumper stickers. Bring a lunch but be prepared to buy lunch.

Your best bet in the short run may be a local tree service though if you are not from Mexico you have a strike against you. Defineately learn to speak Spanish at your local CC, but also ask everyone you work with who speaks Spanish to help you out. Apply at lumberyards (if there is such a thing in SoCal). Take an arborist course online. Never watch Ax Men! If you see a large tree job stop and find a safe place to watch the process.

Oh, and keep taking classes at your CC, esp English. Learn what a paragraph is.
Because I noticed American is becoming a Multi-language nation I began studying Spanish a couple years ago. It's free on line. The App I use is Duolingo. The free version. Get a notebook write down every word. Learn the infinitive form of verbs make a list. Verbs change often. Yo hablo =I speak. Tu hablas=You Speak. El habla = He speaks. That's just one example. It's not easy but it can be done. Reading Children's books in Spanish helps. Watching movies in Spanish with captions helps. Chicken = Pollo. The ll is pronounced like an English Y. Po-yo. Pronouncing Spanish is totally different than English. Duo will help. SOME Mexicans don't Speak Spanish correctly. But a Spanish speaking Amigo is good. Good luck.

Isn't there a Forestry management forum on AS .
And fire fighting , fightin fires isn't loggin .
When it comes to loggin + fallin timber I have little to no respect for forest fire fighters .

If someone is a fire fighter and likes it Great . But they arn't loggers . And if they actually do falling on a fire line, thats just gettin them on the ground . Thats only half the job of a single jack faller . . Any dummy can tree length . Well maybe not anyone .
Ok, at 75, I bucked two big oaks today and just piddle because I can't stop..It's like alcohol..Gotta hear that saw screaming..BUT,, I have to tell this story..Many years ago I joined a local volunteer Fire Department and during ice storms or high winds not only did we fight fires we cleared Roads.. Everything in Volunteer Fire Departments is political kinda like in Churches. So, our Trucks were equipped with Shtil 029 saws.. NO safety equipment, Few men knew how to actually operate the saws properly.. At my residence I had my 60cc Timber saw, a real Poulan Pro 380 back when Poulan was still considered a good saw..Of course I kept it tuned and the chain razor sharp..Before day light a huge storm blew trees down and it was cold and windy..I got a call but was told to meed a truck and crew on location.. I arrived and they had one of the Little 029 saws cranked. It had a small tooth safety chain and the operator was pinching the bar on almost every attempt..I dropped the tail gate and fired up my saw with my head light on so I could see because it was dark. I had arrived on the opposite side of the tree than the crew so I began cutting..I called a hand to pull limbs and we never slowed down.. in a few minutes the Chief realized I was out cutting the crew so he told them to put the Sthil away and had everyone rolling blocks and pulling limbs..We made quick work of that tree and went to more.. Next day I got a call to come to the Fire Station for a meeting.. My new assignment was to run the Tree Clearing crews..I became a Captain and got a truck..I was there for over 15 years.. The Politics got so nasty I resigned as a commissioner, vice president, and captain.. I left and most of the guys who worked with me left too....So in my case,, Knowing how to work trees actually went hand and hand in fire fighting..Warning.. Working trees is habit forming.. Ha. Ha. Have a great night and learn how to file a chain..Ha. Ha..

Back