Some city slicker that wants to play in the forest.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry, Im still here sitting back and listening to everybody.

I pretty much decided not to go to college, It wasn't my thing. I'm not bashing it or anything, and I can respect someone that was able to complete it. But I just can't take another 4 years of sitting in a desk listening to lectures from lefty professors. However if I am able to find some courses pertaining to Forestry, ill take them.

Some said I might not like the rural/mountain areas of the country. Well, although the perfect weather, good surf and hot girls are a plenty down here, I am ready to move on. I have family in MI, TN (in the middle of the Smokey Mountains), and FL. And my uncle always took me up to the mountains around here growing up. It would be a big change for me, especially since i've never lived through a "real" winter season.

I just need to start getting experience under my belt. I need to find a way in through the Forest Service, get my boots broken into, and save up all my money and learn new skills. Then ill need to start networking, and finding who all the players are in the Timber industry, I need to figure out where to go and how to get there, and if ill be able to support myself in the meantime. What ever I do along the way, Ill put 100% into it and prove myself, as a dependable worker. Someone that you would want on your team.

Check this: It may be of interest to you: Basic Wildland Firefighters

Sometimes I wish I had finished up the Forestry schooling I started. At the time I needed a break, too and never went back. I get by fine without the degree, but there are some slow times when work is hard to find and it might have been nice to have it in my back pocket. My wife and I live a pretty minimalist lifestyle, don't have much, don't need much, so it all works out. At least I'm not shootin' squirrels for dinner anymore:laugh:

wow, thanks for showing me this. Im checking it out right now.

My wife is froom Barsto . She lived in Ketchikan for 3 years before I met her . I figured if she didn't run back south before I met her , then I prolly wouldn't have the problem of a wife wanting to GoSouth . I got tired of the dark winters on the coast so we moved to the Interior . She isn't enamered with the cold but she likes the hot wx in the summer . Plus we live in a tax free area so we have lots of freedom . .

I would prefer my nearest neighbor was a hundred miles away . But the Copper Basin is a good comprimise .
The biggest thing to enjoying winter is to have the gear so you arn't cold .

wow, thanks for showing me this. Im checking it out right now.

If you're not in shape for the pack test, start getting in shape now.

And if you do get on a wildland crew, show up on the job in shape. The job itself may put you in shape, but you'll be the weakest link in the crew then.

Oh, and the pack test is the easiest thing you'll do all season.

Last edited:
I really should leave this alone .

That's funny Tramp!
The "arduous" version of the pack test requires the individual to be able to walk 3 miles in 45 minutes (max) while carrying a 45 lb. pack. Obviously it's not too hard but it sets the bottom rung for folks wanting to work on the fireline. Hotshot crews and smokejumpers have additional minimum requirements they have to pass in order to qualify.

Last edited:
"I am going to call a bunch of Forest Station's today and see what is up."

Several people have suggested have some English classes. I would recommend the same thing. It's very important. HINT: The plural form of Forest Station is not Forest Station's. Its Forest Stations. Also, in this instance the words should not be capitalized.

Other than that you have obviously given this much thought. I say go for it, man. No matter how your job search turns out it will be a great experience. Go north young man!

Check this: It may be of interest to you: Basic Wildland Firefighters

Sometimes I wish I had finished up the Forestry schooling I started. At the time I needed a break, too and never went back. I get by fine without the degree, but there are some slow times when work is hard to find and it might have been nice to have it in my back pocket. My wife and I live a pretty minimalist lifestyle, don't have much, don't need much, so it all works out. At least I'm not shootin' squirrels for dinner anymore:laugh:

Don't worry about not finishing. I have a B.S. in forestry and never ever found a related job.

Don't worry about not finishing. I have a B.S. in forestry and never ever found a related job.

Lol, yup, college edjamacated timber faller here......probably get myself fired in a day doing any thing else anyways.....

But I just can't take another 4 years of sitting in a desk listening to lectures from lefty professors.

Hate to break it to you, but not all educators or institutions of higher learning are left leaning. Perhaps you should consider attending a church based institution if this is an issue.

Hate to break it to you, but not all educators or institutions of higher learning are left leaning. Perhaps you should consider attending a church based institution if this is an issue.

questionable. depends which one. hard to teach something like geology without evolution. I have found forestry programs to be pragmatic, professional, science based, and practical, regardless of politics.

That's funny Tramp!
The "arduous" version of the pack test requires the individual to be able to walk 3 miles in 45 minutes (max) while carrying a 45 lb. pack. Obviously it's not too hard but it sets the bottom rung for folks wanting to work on the fireline. Hotshot crews and smokejumpers have additional minimum requirements they have to pass in order to qualify.

I took a pack test a couple of years ago, I completed it with only seconds to spare. I was pretty dissapointed in myself. I found out later that the person laying out the course didn't quite get their math right and that pack test was about 3 1/2 miles, so I started feeling a little better about myself.

Andy

I took a pack test a couple of years ago, I completed it with only seconds to spare. I was pretty dissapointed in myself. I found out later that the person laying out the course didn't quite get their math right and that pack test was about 3 1/2 miles, so I started feeling a little better about myself.

Andy

That's a good one Andy.:msp_biggrin: The first year I did the test there were a few of us that sort of turned it into a bit of a competition...I think I finished in just under 33 minutes if memory serves me. None of us got DQ'ed, but we were on the verge of running as opposed to walking. In later years (as wisdom set in) I would time it to finish in the 40-42 range, which is definitely more enjoyable.

Andy

When I joined I was 18. I could run 7 minute miles all day long, biked 40-80 miles a week(I had an awesome Pinarello back then), and took 3-6 hours of ju jutsu and karate a week. This all prepared me for working in the Sierras, but none of them even came remotely close to even making my first day comfortable. I thought for certain I was gonna die on the side of the mountain back then. My feet were literally bleeding the first week. And I was thirsty from dawn to sleep. The pack test just weeds out those that have no reason being in a crew. Cardio and endurance are important, but I would prepare for fire fighting by hiking up long trails with alot of elevation on them in heavy boots. Do not wear hiking shoes. I wish I had done that before I joined.

I too was told by my parent "Yer smart, stop working with your hands and go to college".I wish I had stuck with firefighting and forestry instead. However,I learned a LOT in 5 years of college obtaining a degree in industrial design, and minor in German and linguistics. Then there were all the girls...

We used to poke fun at the Fire Gods. We would go out in all weather, come in, and they would be propped back in chairs, feet on desk, telling hunting stories. Now they spend the winters "training".

I feel sorry for them. It looks to get pretty boring at times. If the fire season is like last year, they spend the summer being bored and looking sad. Oh well, they get to retire extra early because it is hard work.:msp_wink:

Nah, Washington ain't for fires. It seems it's all Colorado and California. The area I ws based in California got 6" rain per year as an average.

The nice thing is yer sweat actually cooled you off. The bad thing is you had to hydrate all day long. That was a lot of water.

Latest posts

Back