Some good, some bad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bret4207

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Spent the past couple days wrenching on my broken pile. Biggest shock was my beloved 028. The clutch side of the crank busted clean off at the start of the threads. I've never seen anything like that before. So I'm going to have to hunt around for a parts saws I guess.

Got the 041 running. The saw was given to me as a "junk saw" for parts. I did a little tinkering and she runs fair. She's tired, but works okay. Total investment is about $20 plus a used bar and new chain. Not bad.

After screwing around for 2 years I finally put the JD65/Echo650EVL together. This one came in a 5 gallon bucket and was disassembled. Needed an intake boot. The rest was trying to figure out how to put it back together. I was missing a mess of screws so I picked up some "pretty close" bolts at TSC. Got it together only to discover I'd punched a hole into the gas tank with one too long screw. Had to take it back apart and was able to fix the hole using the tried and trusted "Krazy glue and a pop rivet" method. It's worked on tractors, should work here. Got it all back together and it runs fine. Took a while to get the oiler working, but it's doing fine now. I even found a bar in the spares pile and a brand new chain an old guy down the road gave me. I need to get some parts since the saw sat on concrete for some time and the skid plate is broken and corroded, and the PO must have dropped it a few times and broken the upper handle bar mount. This one looks like it had a chain brake at one time, but I haven't seen any examples to know for sure. From what I can see, it's actually kind of a nice saw.

Next on the list was my trusty Husky 2100. I built this saw out of parts from 6 or 7 saws over a few months. It's never, ever failed me...till now. No spark. Nuthin'. Cleaned the flywheel, checked grounds, no switch to go bad...looks like I need to hunt up a coil.

Then came the Sachs Dolmar 133/143, not sure which but I lean towards the 143. Another 'junk saw" gifted to me by a co-worker. Darn recoil needed work, didn't take long. This is another one that never failed me after the initial fixin'. Gonna have to get a carb kit and fix the recoil all over again, the hook on the end let go after pulling my arm off trying to get it to run.

A happier story was my Pioneer P50. Fresh gas and it was running in 5 pulls. This is another "junk saw" a guy gave me for fixing his dad's Pioneer 1200 ( a very nice old saw). I found a bar and picked up a chain sometime back to replace the worn out stuff that came with it. I don't know what got mixed up, but I'm pretty sure the rim is a .325 and not 3/8", haven't taken it apart yet, but the chain doesn't fit right at all. But, the good is the saw runs pretty good considering I haven't played with it much.

I then tried playing with the McCulloch 1-50. This saw was made the same year I was- 1959. I don't think I ever got past just checking for spark. Gassed it up and primed it a bit. She'd pop over a bit and almost try to run, but no go. What a bear to pull over. I'm going to have to look at the recoil on that one too and find a carb kit.

I picked up an Ebay McCulloch 7-10A a couple years back. Had to locate a proper handle bar but otherwise it's fairly complete and not in bad shape. It's a twin to my first saw, which died a tragic death after lending it to my FIL. Fresh gas and she started right up. Holy freakin' decibels Batman! I had forgotten how incredibly, unbelievably, painfully LOUD these are!!! It's no wonder I'm deaf now. I thought it was jet engines and gun fire, but I'm now pretty sure it was courtesy of Mr. McCulloch. This one needs some tuning and tinkering, but not until I find my big ear muffs.

Now for the really good part. Last spring, I think, I went to an auction and came home with another Pioneer. I have a thing for Pioneers. The problem is I don't find many up here. So anyway, I come home with a 3071. The saw it self was in fair shape and I got as far as determining it did have great spark. So, I've been researching the saw and kept reading that if you had the OMC carb you'd never find parts, the Tillotson conversions were so rare it wasn't worth looking, etc. So today, with suitable apprehension, I tok the top cover off and carefully removed the air filter. DRAT!!! There she is, a great big OMC carb looking right back at me. I figured I could at least see why it went to auction so I took a peek in the tank and saw the fuel line was broken clean off at the tank entry point. I fiddled around a bit and got the union out of the tank and cut the remnants of the old hose off the barb. I didn't have any hose that large on hand but I managed to stretch some tygon enough to get in on the barb. I stuck the line down into a tank of mixed gas and primed the saw. She fired a bit and then I just pulled and pulled. I could see fuel moving in the line but I got nowhere. So I figured I'd check the plug. It was wet, but more importantly I found out I must have forgotten how bad the plug was. In fact, calling it a spark plug is being incredibly kind. Found a fresh CJ8 and got a beautiful blue spark. Primed it again and pulled and pulled. Nuthin'. Duh. It finally occurred to me that the saw might be flooded since I'd been watching fuel move through the line! Cut the choke and made sure the trigger was locked. Pulled twice and it roared to life! My fears were for nothing. The saw runs like it's brand new and idles great. The older Pioneers I've been around tend to be good idlers anyway, but it's kind of spooky how great this one runs. I'm real happy with this one. The chain wasn't moving and it only took a minute to find out the clutch was missing, so I need to hunt one up.

All in all it was a decent day.

Sounds like a decent day and you got to tinker on toys.. some nice vintage toys. Always nice to get those old buggers roaring again!

Got a stripped 028 crankcase w/good crank bearings and seals for $10.00. Well, $10.00 plus the $175.00 I gave for a nice used 028 the guy had in the used rack. Nice saw.

Have a clutch for the 3071 enroute. Got some larger Tygon too.

The 041 is really tired. Time for a P+C, seals. I don't know what the parts supply in anymore, hope it hasn't dried up.

The P50 is straightened out. Rim drive was messed up.

Looked around for a 2100 coil, prices have gone up!

Back