Some questions about fine tuning my chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Jerrry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was hoping I could get some tips with regards to tuning / diagnosing a Stihl 031av I have ( I realise its difficult to do without having the saw in front of you).

Chainsaw has new everything except crank seals / cylinder (new rings), has electronic chip conversion with manually adjusting original flywheel. runs well but initial throttle response off idle isn't crisp

Questions I have:
- Chainsaw idles a bit higher cold and then drops back when warm (I dont have a tachometer but its noticeable) - could L jet be too rich and colder air is denser so leans out the saw a bit when cold?
- Bit of oil coming out the muffler - L jet too rich? Fuel is brand new 40:1. I'm still toying with the saw so I'm not cutting with it, just starting it and blipping it etc..if that makes a difference?
- Did electronic ignition conversion and manually moved the original flywheel...saw runs fine but is not super crisp off idle...no amount of my basic carb tuning skills can fix it....is this just potentially a timing issue with not having the electronic flywheel and just eyeballing the position of the original one.

Appreciate any help.

Adam

Make sure your impulse hose is plugged in to the crankcase, and see if the hose actually lines up with the carb nipple.
Also make sure your coil gap is at .010" clearance.
Try youtube for tuning a chainsaw.

1). All saws run differently cold then when warm. With a saw I’m repairing or servicing I’ll tune it after a minute or two after starting it up just to get me in the ball part and to know I’m at least safe to run it. Then, when it’s fully hot after a number of cuts, I’ll do the final tune which involves a tune then a cut then, then maybe a tweak, another cut etc until I’m happy.

2). That is called spooge. It’s unburnt mix, once it’s tuned and under load that should go away. If it doesn’t you’ll need to adjust your carb. Don’t let 2 strokes idle for long periods of time because it can happen.

3). Not enough info on what conversion, what parts you used, what your new timing is.

Latest posts

Back