Some Times I Hate Lombards, But Love KeenKutter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Mac Guy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Most of my small collection of All-American chainsaws (only 274) are good old McCulloch's saws. I like the solid construction and simple engineering of them... and, anyway, a good old Mac 3-25 was my first chainsaw, when we got modern and quit cuttin' fence posts and firewood with hand axes, back in the mid-1950's... and I'm one of those kind of people who stays loyal to one brand of something over the years... Chevy trucks... Folger's coffee... Craftsman hand tools... red-headed wemmin...

My cousin Thurston got a Homelite EZ6 back then, and I've used it some, and some of the other good old Homelice models, over the years, and found them generally all right saws... and I have a couple dozen of them in the herd... and some of Poulan's old Pull-Ons... and a fair representation of all the makes of chainsaws made in North America from the 1940's to the mid-1970's, when Mac bought a bridge and sold the farm and the new owners started makin' everything plastic and cheap and sellin' to the K-Mart and WalMart crowd and forfeited the woods to foreign companies.

But mostly, I like the Old Mac's... and that's the big majority of what I have in my collection.

When I realized I'd been afflicted with chainsaw collecting, I figured, "Well, at least I can control what kinds of saws I collect... mostly." So I decided to stick with North American saws... and those made between World War II and the end of the Vietnam "Police Action"... (although I keep a keen eye out for anything from Wolf, and/or the 1910's to 1930's, when a bunch of guys in Indiana and Illinois and California and the Pacific Northwest, including BC, were struggling around trying to invent the chainsaw).

I've got some IEL's and Titan's and Pioneer's and Root's (including the only known Root Keen Kutter, which I dearly love) and Mono's and Lancaster's and Lombard's and little-bitty Ohllson & Rice's and Cox's and big old Mall's and Clinton's and Pioneer's and Allis-Chalmer's and Barker's and Bolen's and John Deere's and Eclipse's and Wasp's and Hornet's and Ram's and Reed-Prentice's and Remington's and Monark's and Roper's and PM's and Skil's and Craftsman's and Sear's and David Bradley's and Wright's and Strunk's and Hoffco's and Fleetwood's and Wizard's and Comet's and Cupid's and Donder's and Blitzen's and (Hey!!... not them guys!! But Merry Christmas, everyone!!!). And I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a good old Terrill or two... a Whitehead... and one of Henry Disston and Sons' chainsaws...

My cousin Thurston hasn't caught CAD. Mostly, for fun things to do, he's interested in beer... and huntin' and fishin' and frog-giggin'... and sex. I like all them things, too... but I love the old chainsaws... especially my Root Keen Kutter... But Thursty does help me work on the saws... and once in a while he brings me one he's found somewhere.

A couple three days ago, Thurston came into the shop and said, "I found you another old Lombard."

"What model?", sez me.

"I don't know," sez he, "but it don't look like any of them other ones you have. It's old, though."

So we went out and looked at it sittin' on the flatbed of the Won-Ton.

It's a strange-lookin' Lombard. Got a kinda little ladder-like thingy for a guard over the muffler... and a real skinny sprocket... and a funny arrangement between the fan shroud and the carb intake... which appears to be not there... although the carb is there... and looks like it came from when Crosby and Hope were makin' some good movies. It's also missin' the bar and chain... and no cover over the clutch/sprocket... only one bar stud, even though it ain't no little light-weight saw like most one-stud saws... no tag on it... just four rivets where one was once. It turns over OK, though... and I think if I can find the missing parts, I might get 'er runnin' again...

Can anybody here tell me what model of Lombard this is??? And do you know where I can get the missing parts?

If ya do, send me a PM. No spam, tho. And I don't need no smart-alecky comments about "send it to the museum or the recyclers" or "that ain't a Lombard, that's an Eye-talyun Spamboni!!"... jest 'cause some of you don't love the good old saws like I do (especially my Root Keen Kutter)... from back in the days when men was men and oxen drug the logs outta the Rocky Mountain canyons to the landing by the narrow-gauge loggin' railroads... even long after chainsaws finally got invented and was used in the woods.

And a Happy and Prosperous New Year to you all!!

Old Mac Guy

pee ess - Let me know if you've got any of the missing parts...

:yoyo: If I can't find the missing parts... do ya think I might still be able to get 50-cents a pound for it??

Give it an acid bath, polish it up and make a lamp out of it. Get a fortune for it on ebay.... LOL

Ian

Stihl BLK.

Good Morning,

Part of a Stihl BLK. The missing parts may be tough to find. Please do not scrap. The fuel cap should say "STIHL" on it.

Thanks Again for the heads-up on that "circular saw blade" Mall last year. It runs great and has been the highlight of my displays at the Engine Shows.

Good Morning,

Part of a Stihl BLK. The missing parts may be tough to find. Please do not scrap. The fuel cap should say "STIHL" on it.

Thanks Again for the heads-up on that "circular saw blade" Mall last year. It runs great and has been the highlight of my displays at the Engine Shows.

Guess it isn't a Lombard or American.:hmm3grin2orange:

Better send that to Larry.;)

Good Morning,

Larry, I looked... and Lo!, and Behold!... there must've been a Lombard worker makin' the fuel caps who felt like I sometimes do... right there on top of the cap it says: "Some Times I Hate Lombards"... only there wasn't room for him to write it all out, so he just made it with the initials.... a acronym, like that old ruins in Athens... kinda like sayin', "Last Friday night, old Thurston was FUBAR."

Don't worry... I ain't gonna scrap it... prob'ly only get about $12.10 for it... and I could always give it an acid bath, polish it all up and make a lamp out of it and maybe get $24.99 offa eBay for it... which would make my labor while fixin' it up worth about 12-cents an hour... as usual...

But you can't count the $$, when it's somethin' ya love doin'... :cheers:

Where on earth am I gonna find those parts??

Back