Some WTF pics.....

Help Support ArboristSite:

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
Staff member
It's to let you know how long it is before sunset from when you measure it, a clock or watch doesn't tell you that unless you have sunset times for you location

Yeah, but see, from my point of view...

If knowing how long until the sun sets is very important to you, you oughta know what time that will happen. Relying on finger measures is mostly anectodotal, but might serve as a reliable guide if you calibrate regularly at your latitude and can cross reference the season against your current altitude above or below the visible horizon.

YES! This method will change accuracy according to the thickness of your fingers, the length of your arm, your posture in general, the latitude you are viewing from, the distance to the horizon and the viewing season. Given that knowing exactly when the sun sets is only important for astronomers and folks wishing to see the green flash, I don't see the point in doing all that calibration effort.

Hurry up guys! The sun is going down:
1638129698554.png

Dammit guys, we are about out of light to work in! Start picking up the tools.
1638129762585.png

And lastly:
We aren't going to finish this job today, so get the street cleaned up out by the trucks.
1638129875456.png

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
Staff member
Thanks JD for doing the math. That's either one reliable saw or one heck of a feller.
I suspect that was 24,000 trees or 2 years, whichever comes first.

I've done a lot of brush clearing where I probably cut 50 trees or more per hour. These are still trees, aren't they?
1638130262037.png

Hoowasat

Hoowasat

ArboristSite Guru
Sometimes you make do with what you have on hand. Won't be the approved by the book method, ideal implementation, or best practice, but get it done and on to the next job.
Where I work, not following procedure will at the least slow your progression up the financial ladder, or it could get you fired, and it has caused some workers prison time, but at worst it will kill you. Always do the right thing regardless if anyone is watching.

OM617YOTA

OM617YOTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Where I work, not following procedure will at the least slow your progression up the financial ladder, or it could get you fired, and it has caused some workers prison time, but at worst it will kill you. Always do the right thing regardless if anyone is watching.

As I said, sometimes. Aerospace, nuclear, lots of industries where you follow the book or you don't do the job.