Someone started cutting a tree down for us and hasn't finished the job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he's already broken ropes then he's made the face cut and has started on the back cut as is evidenced by the wedge stuck in the tree.

I'd say that tree has a high probability of falling all on it's own and you and your property are in grave danger.

You need to get it down asap.

It may even be a law enforcement issue. I think it is.
Looking at the photo of tree, I can not see any evidence of a face cut. Compared to the chain link fence (4' probably) next to it, it appears to be huge. The rope appears to be pulling down hill and to the right. The ash is full of widow makers. I really don't think the guy has a clue to what he has gotten himself into. jmho :cool: OT

I would definitely be on the phone with his employer. It is possible he's doing side work without their knowledge and if that's the case may even be using their equipment. It may even be their equipment he left behind.
For me, his disregard for the dangerous situation he put you in and all the unanswered calls/texts would be all I needed to take the gloves off and start hitting back. I'd be on the phone with his employer, today.
But don't wait long for them to get back to you. I'd probably hire the first insured outfit that is willing to touch it.
AMEN!

Definitely not remotely close to 80 feet, but certainly not something you want going the wrong way.

Anyone else notice the double back cut and what appears to be a yellow rope in the second picture? :confused:
I noticed the double back cut and also could not see a face cut. The wedges scare the **** out of me also. It appears to me the guy might be trying to stabilize the tree as the rope definitely appears to be pulling in the wrong direction. Pulling in that direction won't fell that tree. Wish there were more pics. jmho :cool: OT

After reading the entire thread and all the comments, I've come to the conclusion that there is a whole bunch more that the OP isn't telling.

The OP's story stinks as much as the tree cutter stinks I'd say.

Sounds to me like one of those 'I'll do it on the side for cheap deals' and more.

Meanwhile the tree is a huge liability. My suggestion is call a reputable arborist and get it removed and chalk it up to being cheap and trying to get a whole bunch of work for basically nothing.

Been my experience that never works out as planned.

Really don't matter as that fiasco goes on everyday when people think they are getting a 'deal'.

I watched the exact same thing transpire down the road from me a bit 2 years ago.

Homeowner thought he was getting a 'deal' when he had a neighbor guy cut down a half dead ash and it fell on the house and his insurance carrier denied the claim because the guy wasn't licensed or was even in the Arborist business and had no insurance but the homeowner was getting a 'deal'. He got a deal for sure.

You usually get what you pay for in life.

Her comments put me in mind of the 'Paul Harvey' line... Now for the rest of the story'....lol

Really don't matter as that fiasco goes on everyday when people think they are getting a 'deal'.

I watched the exact same thing transpire down the road from me a bit 2 years ago.

Homeowner thought he was getting a 'deal' when he had a neighbor guy cut down a half dead ash and it fell on the house and his insurance carrier denied the claim because the guy wasn't licensed or was even in the Arborist business and had no insurance but the homeowner was getting a 'deal'. He got a deal for sure.

You usually get what you pay for in life.

Her comments put me in mind of the 'Paul Harvey' line... Now for the rest of the story'....lol
Cheaper is rarely better!

It's always a good topic to revisit. Don't get me wrong, I've done plenty of side jobs over the years, and I know the temptation for a homeowner to save some money is always great. I dropped an aspen a couple months ago for a buddy with some fishing line, an old dock rope and an ms 250, but if there had any doubt about the outcome I would have walked away. Sound like this kid was in over his head from the get go.

Back