Someone started cutting a tree down for us and hasn't finished the job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does your area have a tree warden? Towns in New England typically have an appointed tree warden whose main responsibility is the health and safety of trees along public ways and on public lands. But, at least in small towns, they're also usually willing to show up and give advice in cases like yours. I've known the warden in our town since our 35 year old kids went to middle school together. If someone in your situation called he'd come over and either fix the problem or tell you who can fix it. He'd also likely know all the parties involved in the SNAFU.

On Friday, he said he would be here on Saturday, but he didn't show up yesterday. He has not responded to today's text (Sunday) about when he will be back. We have remained very neutral because he is a kind person, we just feel like he overwhelmed himself in order to create quick income. We paid him half upfront, which we were comfortable with, given that he has cut down trees in the neighborhood and works for our neighbor. But, when he needed a new pulley part, he asked for the other half, and we paid that. We should have never hired a friend of a friend, but we really couldn't afford the other quotes and his was within our affordable range. We had no idea it would be such a struggle for him. He originally came out and tied a bunch of ropes but then said that he needed to bring back a helper. Then, he showed up alone days later and just started sawing and re-roping the tree by himself.
Forget it! He is in way over his head ask for your money back.

I find it hard to believe that your neighbor/arborist does not know about the situation. If anything, you sold him out. In the mean time, I would try to get a few estimates and ask if they think that the tree presents imminent danger to the house/yard. If not, I would try to wait and let the guy that started the job finish it.

I find it hard to believe that your neighbor/arborist does not know about the situation. If anything, you sold him out. In the mean time, I would try to get a few estimates and ask if they think that the tree presents imminent danger to the house/yard. If not, I would try to wait and let the guy that started the job finish it.
FIFY

(The guy made sure to get all his money before he was even half finished the job, AND won't return their polite texts/calls asking when he'll be back- but you think they sold him out?!)

What about the tree service that he works for? This doesn't sound great for their reputation even though he was working on the side. Maybe they will come out and fix his mistake

I would definitely be on the phone with his employer. It is possible he's doing side work without their knowledge and if that's the case may even be using their equipment. It may even be their equipment he left behind.
For me, his disregard for the dangerous situation he put you in and all the unanswered calls/texts would be all I needed to take the gloves off and start hitting back. I'd be on the phone with his employer, today.
But don't wait long for them to get back to you. I'd probably hire the first insured outfit that is willing to touch it.

I would definitely be on the phone with his employer. It is possible he's doing side work without their knowledge and if that's the case may even be using their equipment. It may even be their equipment he left behind.
For me, his disregard for the dangerous situation he put you in and all the unanswered calls/texts would be all I needed to take the gloves off and start hitting back. I'd be on the phone with his employer, today.
But don't wait long for them to get back to you. I'd probably hire the first insured outfit that is willing to touch it.
KitKat1 went behind his/her neighbors’ back and hired his employee, do you think the employer would be happy with either party and try to make it right for them? I think not, unless he was told about or involved in the transaction beforehand.

KitKat1 went behind his/her neighbors’ back and hired his employee, do you think the employer would be happy with either party and try to make it right for them? I think not, unless he was told about or involved in the transaction beforehand.
That's not how I understand it. At one point he said this guy "works with his neighbor "
Another post says "I should never have hired a "friend of a friend" - also referring to his neighbor. I took it as this guy had done work for his neighbor before.

Maybe KitKat1 will clarify it - or maybe I am misinterpreting something.

I too, am kind of curious of the arraingement. Though, this is what you get when you don't want to pay a legitimate price/estimate, and the workaround bites you.

I wish you luck getting any of your money back.

She sold out her neighbor by hiring his employee and not him.
The tree guy under discussion first did side work for the neighbor- that neighbor wasn't the owner of any tree service company.

BOTH neighbors, at different times, hired the same unlicensed, uninsured tree guy, to do side-work.

On Friday, he said he would be here on Saturday, but he didn't show up yesterday. He has not responded to today's text (Sunday) about when he will be back. We have remained very neutral because he is a kind person, we just feel like he overwhelmed himself in order to create quick income. We paid him half upfront, which we were comfortable with, given that he has cut down trees in the neighborhood and works for our neighbor. But, when he needed a new pulley part, he asked for the other half, and we paid that. We should have never hired a friend of a friend, but we really couldn't afford the other quotes and his was within our affordable range. We had no idea it would be such a struggle for him. He originally came out and tied a bunch of ropes but then said that he needed to bring back a helper. Then, he showed up alone days later and just started sawing and re-roping the tree by himself.

You went ABOVE and beyond already paying half up front, followed by the rest.

Sounds sketchy at best.

Hello! I am worried about a 80 foot dead ash tree in my yard, and I would appreciate any advice about what we should do at this point. A tree person with 10 years experience sawed through and roped off this tree for removal, but he has never come back to finish the job (pull it into the forest). He left twice when two different ropes snapped (the same ropes I assume are securing the tree right now). He left a third time to order a new part for his pulley system, and that was six days ago. Meanwhile, the tree base has been chainsawed, although I don't know how far through. He said that it is hollow in the middle, so I'm assuming there isn't much left to saw. He placed two wedges in the cut side (the side facing our house), and we can see ropes coming from the tree. We feel like he will eventually return because he works for a reputable tree company (we hired him on the side - he works with our neighbor), and he left his equipment here. My issue is, how secure is this tree in the meantime? Is this common practice or outrageous behavior (I feel like it's a bit outrageous to saw through a tree then disappear for a week). Are we being idiots for waiting patiently? Should be be calling in an emergency tree removal service? This tree is sitting on a ledge and would probably fall into the forest, but if it swung our way (and the ropes snapped), it would definitely fall on our house. Thank you in advance for any helpful information!
I would call the police, Yes, it's a civil matter and there is nothing they can do, but there will be a report of some kind and if that tree falls and does significant damage or it hurts someone that report might come in handy
You're beyond friendship now. Time to let his employer know.

Here are photos - thank you! I guestimated the size - may not be 80 feet but feels like 80 feet looming over our house.
Definitely not remotely close to 80 feet, but certainly not something you want going the wrong way.

Anyone else notice the double back cut and what appears to be a yellow rope in the second picture? :confused:

Even the OP said he had a picture of the rope in the tree. I had to look fairly close to see it, but we knew it was there.
I meant the fact that it was yellow. Doesn't automatically mean anything, but there is a particular type of yellow three strand that's real popular with hacks everywhere......

Apart from the fact that I was thinking of the same polyester twist rope, there are yellow arborist ropes.

Stable braid comes in yellow
1675748905808.png

Yalex comes in yellow.
1675749111171.png

That's why I requested a picture of the rope from the OP. If we knew how good a rope it was that got broken, we'd have a very good idea of how likely the tree is to fall in the near future.

Back