Someone started cutting a tree down for us and hasn't finished the job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apart from the fact that I was thinking of the same polyester twist rope, there are yellow arborist ropes.

Stable braid comes in yellow
View attachment 1055884

Yalex comes in yellow.
View attachment 1055886

That's why I requested a picture of the rope from the OP. If we knew how good a rope it was that got broken, we'd have a very good idea of how likely the tree is to fall in the near future.
Amsteel, 3/8”…21,000# break strength…😁
what’s on my winch…

When he asked for the other HALF of the money so he could buy a pulley and ropes breaking should have been a heads up FOR YOU.
You say he is a nice guy. Might add that he is a nice idiot. (and he has played you and now making you look and feel like an idiot)
You say he has left his equipment on your property.
I would be thinking about having an equipment sale.

Most likely he is not even licensed and bonded. Hope you have good home owners and medical insurance. At least take more pic's for yourself and your future attorney. You might need them for insurance/court claims.
Time has run out for being nice to that guy. Might even contact Judge Judy.

Adds new meaning to the term FLY BY NIGHT idiot.

Hello! I am worried about a 80 foot dead ash tree in my yard, and I would appreciate any advice about what we should do at this point. A tree person with 10 years experience sawed through and roped off this tree for removal, but he has never come back to finish the job (pull it into the forest). He left twice when two different ropes snapped (the same ropes I assume are securing the tree right now). He left a third time to order a new part for his pulley system, and that was six days ago. Meanwhile, the tree base has been chainsawed, although I don't know how far through. He said that it is hollow in the middle, so I'm assuming there isn't much left to saw. He placed two wedges in the cut side (the side facing our house), and we can see ropes coming from the tree. We feel like he will eventually return because he works for a reputable tree company (we hired him on the side - he works with our neighbor), and he left his equipment here. My issue is, how secure is this tree in the meantime? Is this common practice or outrageous behavior (I feel like it's a bit outrageous to saw through a tree then disappear for a week). Are we being idiots for waiting patiently? Should be be calling in an emergency tree removal service? This tree is sitting on a ledge and would probably fall into the forest, but if it swung our way (and the ropes snapped), it would definitely fall on our house. Thank you in advance for any helpful information!
It looks like a bad situation to me I’ve never heard of anything like that someone doing a job and not finishing like that. I’m a logger so I really don’t know how a tree service works but still.it’s amazing how little a tree can stay standing with what’s holding but I wouldn’t count on just that I’m kinda just shaking my head at the thought and what’s been commented so far I really hope things go well for y’all.

Apart from the fact that I was thinking of the same polyester twist rope, there are yellow arborist ropes.

View attachment 1055884

Yalex comes in yellow.
View attachment 1055886

That's why I requested a picture of the rope from the OP. If we knew how good a rope it was that got broken, we'd have a very good idea of how likely the tree is to fall in the near future.
True. I have a yellow Stable Braid. Hopefully we'll hear back from the OP.

It looks like a bad situation to me I’ve never heard of anything like that someone doing a job and not finishing like that. ...

That is almost legend in urban areas. Tree services around here have a well deserved bad reputation. Almost everyone knows that you screen the tree service, inquire for insurance, and use some references.

"Walking off" is not uncommon, and dropping trees on houses and the like isn't unheard of either. There are a lot of guys working in our trade that grew up breaking rules and taking risks. Then they discover the need to make a living, and tree service seems like an obvious fit.

Except that they don't know what they are doing, make mistakes, then they run, never to be seen again.

To the homeowner: here is why you shouldn't ever let anyone do a significant tree removal by themselves

A truly expert tree feller could drop that tree unassisted,
Which is it.
I'd drop it by myself no problem if as you said it could be laid out in the woods and there was no risk of any dead branches being flung back by nearby trees.
Definitely not remotely close to 80 feet
Looks 80 to me, it's a bit down into that low spot.

View attachment 1055884

Yalex comes in yellow.
View attachment 1055886

Probably a retired climbing rope he took from the company he is/or was working for.
As another said, wonder if he isn't now locked up.
Certainly some shady stuff going on.

Which is it.
I'd drop it by myself no problem if as you said it could be laid out in the woods and there was no risk of any dead branches being flung back by nearby trees.

Looks 80 to me, it's a bit down into that low spot.

Probably a retired climbing rope he took from the company he is/or was working for.
As another said, wonder if he isn't now locked up.
Certainly some shady stuff going on.
Drugs come to mind when I read he took money before finishing .

I'm thinking an 8 lb. sledge might solve the problem. Those wedges aren't driven, rather they appear to have only been palmed or maybe tapped with too light of a hammer/axe... It still has a lot of small branches so it isn't too far gone...

That's literally funny. The guy broke a rope trying to pull it over, and we haven't seen the opposite side of the tree.

I'd bet money that you couldn't solve that tree problem with just a sledge hammer.

Even if you add a chainsaw to the mix of permitted correction tools, until we see the backside of that tree, we don't know what we are looking at for a solution.

Well there is in my State you need a License issued by the State like an Electrician or Plumber etc. Look up your individual State laws and take it from there. At minimum they should have insurance.
I laugh when I hear the licensed and bonded term in my area. I have yet to have any person be able to show me what it truly means. Here all the bonded part means is you carry adequate liability insurance to cover your rear end if you make a mistake. The license part is a bit shady. A little over 20 years ago I had a house in a city across in Iowa. It was going to sit vacant for awhile so I could do major repairs. It had a 60amp panel and meter in a closet that needed pulled . Of course 200amp is required by code if changes are made. This would require the power company to run a new service to the new meter base. I knew doing this would trigger a city inspector to poke around. I called the city to inquire about the process. The woman I spoke with said I could not do the work myself as I needed to be licensed. I asked her what the process was to get a "license" and she could not tell me as she had no idea. All she knew was I had to be "licensed". I pursued the issue and finally got to someone who said I needed to take an exam. I said that was fine when and where is it? They could not answer. All they knew was I needed to take an exam. This went on for awhile and I just did the work that was most needed on interior meter base. It passed a yearly inspection for 14 years. In March of 2017 the house was hit by a tornado and took 30% of the upstairs off. At that point the electrical was not much concern.

I am sure some areas do require some sort of a license but here it is shady. As for proper insurance that is a must.

Which is it.

I covered that. A homeowner lacks the expertise to know how expert someone is. I was attempting to address the fact that the hack that inspired this thread was proposing to do that tree solo.

While it is possible to find a skilled tree worker that could drop that tree, I wouldn't recommend that they allow it to be done. The best expert in the world will still recommend having some help.

I've had plenty of jobs where one climber could go handle the request, but I always send two. I'm not gonna have anybody get injured by bad luck or stupidity that doesn't at least have an observer to call for help.

Let's go down to the arboricultural injuries forum and see how many dead tree workers we can find that were working by themselves...

That's literally funny. The guy broke a rope trying to pull it over, and we haven't seen the opposite side of the tree.

I'd bet money that you couldn't solve that tree problem with just a sledge hammer.

Even if you add a chainsaw to the mix of permitted correction tools, until we see the backside of that tree, we don't know what we are looking at for a solution.
Did anybody say "just a sledge hammer?" In light of all the speculation about the rope that doesn't lend much support to the broken rope argument. Given that even rank amateurs know about "notches" there is high probability that "A tree person with 10 years experience" would have made some kind of face cut that is not visible in the photo offered... Given the position of the rope the wedge on the left could be hiding the face cut from view! Take a ride over there and tell us what you see! 😉

Back