Something scary

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-techcowboy

N.A.O.T Racing
Reaction score
Hey everyone I want to know from people that own big saws what is there most powerfully scary saw. I'm saving for a used 395xp but is that something that is scary or just another good saw that gets boring after a days use.

Depends on the bar that's on it. I have 2 ported 395s. They are amazing saws. Put a 36"+ bar on it and it really impresses (not in a scary way). Put a 24" and an 8 pin on it and it gets quite a bit scarier. Like, make sure you KNOW where the tip is, and have your thumb wrapped around that handlebar. Personally I like the 395 over the 661 for my own reasons, but those may have the edge if you're looking for stock performance, or scariness. They are lighter and with bars under 36" I think they might have a slight edge on the 395. Ported they are very impressive saws.

Depends on the bar that's on it. I have 2 ported 395s. They are amazing saws. Put a 36"+ bar on it and it really impresses (not in a scary way). Put a 24" and an 8 pin on it and it gets quite a bit scarier. Like, make sure you KNOW where the tip is, and have your thumb wrapped around that handlebar. Personally I like the 395 over the 661 for my own reasons, but those may have the edge if you're looking for stock performance, or scariness. They are lighter and with bars under 36" I think they might have a slight edge on the 395. Ported they are very impressive saws.
A logger in NW Missouri was running 880 stihls and when some schmuck broke into his job trailer and stole them (3 or 4) and other stuff. He went to 661s' and for what he was doing he really appreciated the weight difference. This info is from his GOOD Friend that sold him his firs chainsaw (Jonsered) I wonder why he doesn't get them Ported and someday I will have the opportunity to ask him.. Money for him is not the issue I think it is his hired help vs. it is just a tool thing. If ya want big you will get tired sooner now that can be scary if you have a hot Date at the end of a days logging..

I don't tend to think of any of my saws as scary. They are just tools that must be used with respect and proper caution. Now some of the jobs they are needed for could be considered a bit scary depending on experience and skill level. That said, my 200t's keep my attention level maybe a bit higher than say bucking a large log with a 125 Mac or 090 Stihl. The larger saws with long bars tend to, or seem to, have less kickback issues compared to the small saws. As for big geardrive saws with very long bars and very big teeth, don't attempt to use them unless you know what you are doing or have someone around that does.

Law of diminishing returns.
Anything novel will eventually become mundane. That’s the real danger. When you pick up a tool, wether it’s a 30cc chainsaw or a 130cc, watch out when you’re thinking “ho hum, this is normal”. At that moment, you’re holding a very dangerous saw.
You HIT the Nail on the Head. AND THAT is HOW JASON got to be a MOVIE STAR!!!

If you have the experience, required strength and mental capacity to use a bigger saw for the work it is intended to do, it is not scary.
If you are a bit of an idiot operator or coming from 0 experience- heck a 12V battery 10" picco saw can seem scary- especially to others watching!

All saws can maim or kill you, same as being shot in the right place with a .22lr or a .50BMG...... you can still end up dead and like firearms, all saws command respect.
The 395 is a nice saw, a big saw and a very capable saw. It has the luxury of good torque and good chain speed, having replaced the like of the 2100 saws that had gobs of torque but the chain speed was not startling (in factory spec), so you get more for slightly less CC's, coupled into a more user friendly package.
Some folk find the 395 uncomfortable to use for a day, too big and cumbersome- guess that comes down to the personal user and what the saw is being used for.

I'm more afraid of the smaller saws, I think people get complacent with them. I've had my 661 kick back while stumping and the bar is buried but I don't know that it's ever "scared" me. I think with the big saws every second you hold them you're reminding yourself of how dangerous they can be. Definitely had more moments with the smaller saws but maybe it's because they're in my hands more but the lighter weight seems to make their kickbacks more dangerous. Either way, all saws demand respect at all times.

Law of diminishing returns.
Anything novel will eventually become mundane. That’s the real danger. When you pick up a tool, wether it’s a 30cc chainsaw or a 130cc, watch out when you’re thinking “ho hum, this is normal”. At that moment, you’re holding a very scary saw.

This is true.

That being said, I've not ever been scared of a big saw. They generally have a big heavy bar, and that's why I keep a big heavy saw. At one point, I had my Husqy 3120XP fitted with a 24" bar. It was awesome, and it was my favorite for dicing up a tree after it was down. Now that I'm older, I would rather have a lighter saw.

My scariest saw is still the top-handled 200-T. When your face is in the kickback zone about 50' up in a tree, that is a much scarier proposition, especially if your positioning dictates that your hands aren't well positioned to hit the chain brake, either.

The work being done is much scarier than the saw itself, regardless of the power factor.

Yea it will be modified at some point and I'd like to use it for multiple things so a 20 to 24in bar would be on it at some point but mostly a 28 to 36 for milling.

Scary chainsaw
+50 years old, +100cc, hard tip bar and no AV
+1, especially if you intend to use it for a while on end. Of the "big" old saws without brake and AV, I only have 70-90cc saws and those are fun to cut a pancake, but for real work I don't touch 'em.

Back