Sometimes a problem fixes itself

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just finished putting together a Husqvarna 257/262 conversion. Initial carb settings were on the strange side, only 1/2 a turn on the high and 1- 3/4 on the low. Idled fine, but if you just cracked the throttle it went very rich.
After a few minutes of tuning and running and checking throttle response, a full power blip suddenly caused it the belch smoke and stall. Seemed to suddenly go rich so just on a hunch I turn the low setting down to one turn as I would initially do after a build.
A few pulls and it fired up and settled down into a steady idle. No more going rich just off of idle, a nice smooth transition like it should be.
Apparently the idle hole closest to the engine was plugged, and it was relying on the next two. This caused it to go lean at idle but overly rich as it tried to transition.
When it suddenly cleared itself it went rich as it now had the extra hole to deliver fuel.

Even when you clean out a carb and put a kit in it, there are no guarantees it will run perfect. However, this rare time a problem solved itself, a problem I may have been chasing a while if I was having my usual luck.

My favorite carb rebuild method is with Seafoam.

It's saved my @ss a number of times!

Back