Sometimes you do what you gotta do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Shooters Apprentice

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Friend recently gave me a small bucket full of chains. He never sharpens, just buys new. 95% of these chains were 68 link .325” .063” Stihl chains.
I don’t own a Stihl saw, and have no plans to buy one. But I did have a couple of Stihl bars laying around. Since no one seems to make a .063” small mount husqvarna bar, I decided to do the next best thing on modify the Stihl bar.
Had to lengthen the mounting slot, and relocate the adjuster and oiler holes, but it turned out pretty well. Luckily the bar I had had the correct sized slow, so I didn’t need to build an adaptor, just lengthen the slot.
Stuck the bar on one of my 346xp saws. Should be a lifetime supply of chain for it. Chain will probably last longer then the bar.
AEFE654A-AE19-41CC-9EF1-387E9068B202.jpeg

You could also wait until your 0.058 Husky bar groove gets sloppy, then spin the chains to the correct DL count.

Philbert
True, however all the small husky stuff I have is .050”, so then I would have to buy a bar and chains anyway to wear out a .058” bar. This seemed like the simplest solution to me.
I suppose it may have been a good excuse to buy another saw though

Good thinking, can’t beat free!
Seem to be oiling well and keeping the links a bit wet?

"never sharpens, just buys new" :numberone::dumb:

Your poor friend. He has likely never run a truly sharp chain. Or a 3/4 worn out one that really eats.
Especially since new chains still leave a little on the table when it comes to being truly sharp. Even out of the box they can be touched a little and give you a little more.
Another fine example of the new American way.
But an even better example of a guy taking something he got used and making it work for his benefit and keeping costs down. Gotta love that!!!

Good thinking, can’t beat free!
Seem to be oiling well and keeping the links a bit wet?
Yep it seems to be working great. I actually drilled the oiler hole a bit bigger then normal since drilling that hard of metal with such a small bit at a angle seemed like a good way to break a bit.

Latest posts

Back