Sourdough Begals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got an order for a dozen bagels and a loaf of bread for delivery tomorrow.

The bagels are getting better and better.

The Sourdough loaf of bread was ordered and delivered Friday. Said it was damn good.

Attachments

• CIMG0003.JPG
    CIMG0003.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 21
  • CIMG0005.JPG
    CIMG0005.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 22
  • CIMG0001 (1024x768).jpg
    CIMG0001 (1024x768).jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 19
Second attempt on Saturday, the bagels were better but still not like your. They are very addicting. I’m just now realizing the path you’ve sent me down. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Second attempt on Saturday, the bagels were better but still not like your. They are very addicting. I’m just now realizing the path you’ve sent me down. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bagels are a lot of work. I charge $12 for 6 which is in line with what a bagel shop charges, but quite high for my area. There is no way I can charge less considering my efforts. Plan B has always been eat them myself. They are that good that it is worth my time. I can almost make 20 at a time so I'm good for a month.

Used up an old package of sundried cranberries.

Cranberry/Raisin/Cinnamon Bagels and 1/2 with Lemon Herb sprinkled on top -->

/---- Edit; Ate one for breakfast. Wow! ---/

Attachments

• CIMG0001sm.jpg
    CIMG0001sm.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 26
  • CIMG0002sm.jpg
    CIMG0002sm.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 20
never had a sourdough bagel. got plenty bagels, though. other day thot i was going to make a tomato sam on rye... turned out it was a loaf of sourdough bread.

1625676684980.png

blueberry bagels in pantry... but seems some sourdough would make for some nice sourdough tomato bagels

sourdough tomato bagels
1625676795738.png

Who knew? Plain bagels seems to be a big hit with one customer. They did a small order and now want 24 more delivered tomorrow. That's $48 to me, minus my costs. My costs is near zero. A 25lbs bag of flour cost me a little over $5, the rest is water, some salt, and few teaspoons of Olive Oil. Most of it is my labor, which is substantial, but is spread out over many hours of watching the Olympics. So really it hardly makes a dent in my activities.

I will say, I never imagined these tasting so good. The Sourdough flavor really really comes on strong without all the other ingredients I no longer need to add. :)

CIMG0005.JPG

CIMG0006.JPG

Still making bagels. Lots and lots of them. The process has continued to be refined. Last innovation was 15 minutes of baking at the mid point of the oven, and the last 3 minutes the baking tray is moved to the top. Taste the same, but achieved is a nice golden brown finish.

CIMG0004.JPG

CIMG0006.JPG

Cold, wet and miserable today. Six ounce Poppy Seed Bagels! And I am still learning and experimenting. 2 things I have found. 1. Winter bagels are the best. It is the wood stove that keeps the cabin warm. It puts out the ideal heat for 5 hours of proofing. 2. The boil time has been backed off. I use to boil for 4 minutes and have found that I have cooked part of the bagel, and sometimes there would be a tough part that was due to the excessive boil time. Lastly 22 or 23 minutes of baking seems ideal, whereas it use to be under 20 minutes. Likely is the boil and baking difference.

The proof is in the taste, lacking a bite the picture is good too.

This batch yielded 13 and a mini. Should last me a good couple of weeks.

CIMG0002.JPG

CIMG0003.JPG

CIMG0006.JPG

The bagels are back. Lately I have been struggling with the dough rising.

Solution was -- patience. I made 24 bagels yesterday (12 sesame seed, and 12 cinnamon raison. First batch of 12, the dough rise took 18 hours. I mixed up another batch for the next day, but it was ready in 6 hours. I have no idea why there is such a difference in rise time, but I now know, just be be patient.

CIMG0001.JPG

CIMG0003.JPG

Back