SP70 overhaul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatsfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started this little project on another thread https: //www.arboristsite.com/threads/parts-saw-or-worth-messing-around-with.361794/

all my parts should hopefully be here in the next 2 weeks, and I can get started, but I have a few questions. I don't have a bar with the right mount for this saw, so I need to find one. looking at a new 24" Oregon 240RNDD176 PowerCut bar. would be nice to find a nice period OEM bar but I don't see any floating around on the internet. any opinions on this?

I've rehabbed a lot of old tools and machinery. if the original finish is in good shape, I usually clean it up and leave it. if it's bad I usually repaint. my system is to glass bead the parts, spray a 2-part epoxy primer and a single stage urethane 2-part topcoat. when I'm painting bare aluminum, I do an Alodine chromate conversion coating before primer, but this does not seem to be an option for magnesium from what I've read.

the finish on this saw is not good and looks worse now than it did in the pics I posted on the other thread after cleaning everything. the yellow sheet metal engine shrouds and the crankcase/oil tank look really good and are mostly hidden so would not be re-painted. the bottom brace/frame with the broken piece is being replaced with a NOS one so will look brand new. the air cleaner cover black paint has corrosion under it, as does the oil tank access cover. the fuel tank/carb housing assembly, recoil/fan housing and clutch cover are pretty beat up, which is normal after 46 years.

opinions on whether or not to paint these parts are welcome.

Back