Spark plug tread repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim973

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello
I’m looking for someone that can weld the spark plug hole and retapping it, cause I’ve got a cylinder that have been repaired by a shop but they did a terrible job with a ks tool insert but the insert was too long and they just grind badly the the insert to fit it
So if someone can do this and re do spark plug tread, I don’t want another insert, I’m ready to send the cylinder stateside, as I’m from France
Thanks for you’re future answer
Tim

Pictures & saw details might help with getting better responses.
I suspect you will find you can replace the cylinder for what 2 way shipping & the labour would cost

You will save a lot of money if you replace the insert yourself. Assuming that the plug thread is M14 x 1.25 they should have tapped the cylinder to M16 x 1.25 so you just need to buy a Time-Sert insert that is the right length - probably 9.5mm long. The correct length insert will swage into place the first time you screw a spark plug into it, as it's bottom end is a smaller diameter and expands into the cylinder thread. Grinding the insert short means that the insert will not swage, so it will probably keep coming loose.

The main things to remember are that the insert must be fully seated in the hole before tightening the spark plug (otherwise the insert will expand in the wrong place) and use oil on the spark plug thread when you do it.

The Time-Sert kit has a special swaging tool, but the kit is very expensive - more than a new cylinder.

http://www.timesert.com/html/faq.html
Screenshot_2021-08-20-12-15-23_kindlephoto-11016592.png

I can buy new 660 cylinder in Germany for 200 bucks so I think I’ll go this way and try to find someone in France to do this
Because time sert kit are really really expensive so I’ll see

Latest posts

Back