Speeco Water in fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have an older Speeco with an 8hp Techumseh engine I'm lending to a friend for his firewood business. Despite HEET, draining the carb bowl, and other methods such as non-ethanol gas, the thing is constantly full of water. Sometimes, I can drain the bowl multiple times and it still ends up full up water. the only way to keep it running is to smack the choke every few backstrokes and suck enough of the water in to keep it running on what floats on top. Eventually, about a half a day later and it seems to be stable enough to run without constant intervention by a skilled operator (me). So, I'm getting conned into having to operate it every time, but a couple weeks later we are back to Sadsville and non-operation. The splitter is kept outside, but it has a plastic mineral tub completely covering the engine and hydraulic vent.

Now, my friend is too inept to deal with this to keep the motor running. He also is too inept to buy decent gas cans, so we have the 1985 "rag shoved" herky-jerky garage sale cans that are stored outside (Fun fact: hauled in an SUV while smoking cigarettes). While I cannot fix "stupid" I was seeing if anyone had any reccomendations for a fuel/water separator that may work besides the classic glass bowl tractor type. Need something idiot proof and easy so this individual can drain it before starting or see the water in it and drain it.

I don’t want to sound smart ass, but I wouldn’t loan out an expensive machine to somebody who refuses to take care of it and refuses to abide by my rules. I would either go there, help him and run it myself, or have him rent one from a store. If he won’t listen when you tell him how to handle gasoline, he’s probably not checking the oil or the hydraulic fluid, he’s stalling it against relief valve for long periods of time etc. etc.
Sounds like my neighbor

:drinkingcoffee:
I have to agree with kevin j.
My father-in-law was almost as bad. Just the way he was, and no need to change.
Good hearted really, but very ignorant about his surroundings.
I'd help him when I could, but never lend him anything with a gas engine for sure.
My brother-in-law lent him a wood splitter. Ended up with two cycle gas in it.

Tell your buddy your splitter has issues, is broke down and doesn't run. Which is perfectly true.
See what direction he goes.
My bet is he rents a splitter or buys himself a new one.
Get yourself a plastic gas can, and a plastic fuel tank to reduce condensation
Keep the engine tank full after use. And use SeaFoam or heet like your doing.
Use fresh fuel. Buy a smaller gas can if need be, if your not using fuel a lot.
Buy a new engine for that matter and quit screwing with it, but keep the tub on it, and don't tell your buddy.

I ask myself...Is it my problem?
You did say, "...his firewood business."

Edit: Better yet...sell it to him, and get yourself a new one.

I wouldn’t sell it to him. It would come with an implied warranty and you’d be chained to it forever to keep fixing things that he thought you knew about before he bought it.
Ii is for that reason that I will buy cars or machinery from someone I know, because I’m the one making the decision. I will not sell anything to anyone I know, because even though I honestly represented, if something happens the next day they will always think that I knew and cheated him

You guys are right, I wouldn't sell it to him. It's a labor exchange ordeal, I need help with fencing and other hard labor in exchange for splitting and equipment use. I have a larger splitter and split to 26" plus, so this machine just sits unless I'm doing the odds and ends, it sits, and the neighbor owns it but couldn't keep it running so he gave it to me, so I can't really technically sell it in case he needs it. I doubt my firewood friend would buy his own splitter if I took it. He would probably continue to hand split or would maybe go electric or beg different friends. He is afraid of mechanical things. And I'd probably lose his help.

He's generally careful with equipment and stops at the slightest malfunction/noise and over maintains certain things, which is part of the problem. As soon as the motor acts up and doesn't start first try, or anything besides it's out of gas, my phone is blowing up or he parks it. He also doesn't run the tank dry (which is how I ran it) so it has an opportunity to build up contamination. He doesn't run it over relief, pretty much drilled that into him as in the summer we run against the oil overheating.

I'd have just bought a cheap water separator off eBay but everything is Chinese and that pissed me off.

Latest posts

Back