Spider leg balancing 101

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashstore2022

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm newish to the business. I've balanced a few limbs on spider legs (and had one flip on me). scoured YouTube to find vids on how to do it, and come up empty on the explanation.

hoping someone could break it down for me. as best I can tell: estimate where the center weight of the branch is between the tip and where you will put your face cut and back-cut. the two ends of the spider leg need to be well outside of that point. you'll never know if you got it exactly right until it's swinging, but if you are 6 ft to the right of center, and 10 ft to the left of center, the spider leg will still balance fine and come down level (though one rope - the right in this instance - will have more tension).

what am I missing? I really want to dial in the details and understand they 'why' of what I'm doing.

thanks guys.

I'm newish to the business. I've balanced a few limbs on spider legs (and had one flip on me). scoured YouTube to find vids on how to do it, and come up empty on the explanation.

hoping someone could break it down for me. as best I can tell: estimate where the center weight of the branch is between the tip and where you will put your face cut and back-cut. the two ends of the spider leg need to be well outside of that point. you'll never know if you got it exactly right until it's swinging, but if you are 6 ft to the right of center, and 10 ft to the left of center, the spider leg will still balance fine and come down level (though one rope - the right in this instance - will have more tension).

what am I missing? I really want to dial in the details and understand they 'why' of what I'm doing.

thanks guys.
I was hoping to see some information on this as well.

Back