Splitter Return Stop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaibs27

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I run a 34-ton Champion splitter and it does everything I ask of it except that I cut all of my rounds to 16" and it would be really nice if the return only went back to say 18" to reduce the stroke time and allow me to be hands free for the entire return stroke. Right now, I typically stop it by bumping the lever but if I turn to get another round, by the time I get back, it's retracted all the way. I've seen some homemade things on youtube but most of them involved some welding. Would it be crazy to put a big C-clamp across the opening seen in the picture? I rarely use those pieces to strip stuck rounds off of the wedge so that's not an issue. Thanks in advance.
1611808312149.png

It's hard on the cylinder to have pressure against the wrong side of the gland, like with using something to limit rod travel.
I wouldn't do it to a cylinder that is constantly moving.

The ideal way would be pulling the cylinder apart and putting a stroke limit between the piston and blind end.

How about building some sort of bellcrank-type mechanism?
Let the wedge come back to hit the mechanism, which then pushes a rod into the valve's handle, bumping it into the neutral position.

1611843452220.png

With some thinking, this could be made without welding, or even out of wood. It could be made to clamp onto your beam. Or it could be made permanent, and use adjustable rods for different desired stop positions.

How about building some sort of bellcrank-type mechanism?
Let the wedge come back to hit the mechanism, which then pushes a rod into the valve's handle, bumping it into the neutral position.

View attachment 885522

With some thinking, this could be made without welding, or even out of wood. It could be made to clamp onto your beam. Or it could be made permanent, and use adjustable rods for different desired stop positions.
I guess if you're just bumping the handle, it doesn't have to be as stout as some of the stuff I've seen online. I'll take some measurements tonight and see if I can come up with something out of the scrap wood I have laying around. I'll post pics and drawings/design if I can make it work.

I have seen a couple guys drill the beam and bolt a piece of metal across the beam and make a stop for the push plate to come up against and that will kick the valve out of detent return.

Back