Splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately new splitters are like everything else right now. Talked to my guy at TSC and he said they are having long wait times. Lowes has a new brand called Performance Built. Don't know anything about them. Used ones in good condition on CL and FB marketplace are selling for top dollar. I have the TSC 25 ton and has been good for several hundred truckloads. Good luck in your search.

We haven’t had the County Line Splitters at our tractor supply since before December unfortunately. Although they raised the price of the 22 ton to $1500, in NJ, which puts it in the price range of higher tonnage splitters. If you can find the 30 or 40 ton models they seem a better deal at this point. Our Lowe’s had the performance brand splitter in stock but only one of the full beam models. If you want a new splitter this winter it’s going to be a bit of a search, good luck and keep an eye on the used market. You might find something with low hours for a good price.

My local TSC only had 1 22 ton countyline splitter in stock the other day. When I bought my second 40 ton unit I had to have them do a search of the nearest TS to find one.I drove strait over and bought it that day. It was a bit of a drive but well worth it. I paid right at 2K for it but that was 2 years ago. I see they have gone up on that model since then. What ever you chose and find I hope it serves you well.

I've been told if you go online and order one you will likely get it before the store sees stock on hand. The problem there is you don't have any reference as to what you're ordering. I guess if you know someone local that has a Countyline unit you can look at at least if/when you order one you know what you're getting.

The other option is order and have shipped to the store and if you don't like it have them refund what you paid. They are really good about refunds at least in my area.

The tractor supply splitter works ok. The Ram set up is a BS design. It tends to get slowed down with bark and stuff stuck in the channels and you have to clear the bark off under the ram where housing. I don’t split as much as some of these guys but do split 25-30 cords of oak a year. Also my splitter pukes hydraulic oil out of the breather if parked level. and it is not over full. I have to run it up on a log to elevate that side or your pant leg will be soaked. If you stand on that side 2FE8671C-D316-499F-AD65-006FD70060C2.jpeg433ACA7B-C0EC-4F52-AA8E-80ECE3F9CE78.jpega couple pictures to illustrate the rail design and log needed for tire. This splitter was $1000 plus a 10 percent off for Veterans on Veterans Day. Not sure what they cost now. It works ok for the price. I just wish it was an I beam design

Any 22 ton will split pretty much everything.
I had a 22 ton Husky that seemed like a good splitter, until I set a piece of green live oak on it. The wedge was more blunt then my countyline 40 is. That 22 ton would split red oak post oak just fine. Pecan gave a little struggle, but the live oak would bring it to a dead stop.

The one I posted is a 30t. I never used a 25 so don’t know.
If budget allows go for the 40 ton. It sits a little taller then the 30 ton and the wedge is taller. That made a huge difference in splitting stringy or bigger rounds. Both my 40's have no trouble splitting green live oak. It will split forks and knotted wood with no trouble ether. It has a thinner wedge and taller wedge and I think that makes a big difference in it's performance. I think the cycle time is the same with the 30 and 40 at 9.5 sec. Bigger is always better. You may not always need it but it's there when you do. If you get a chance to see both side by side you see the difference. Then again the 30 may be all you ever need.

I could’ve had the 30 or 40. I didn’t want the 40 because of its size and weight. Sometimes it’s nice to move or adjust it by hand without getting the tractor out. The 30t is way heavier than my buddy’s 27 ton Troy built, huge difference with the full I beam of the TSC unit. Mine has split stuff that his wouldn’t, His is about 12 years old now. Little Honda 160, replaced the pump 2 years ago.

thanks for the advice. I’m going to order a county line 30. Unfortunealty I can’t affford a kinetic splitter. It will be a countyline 30 unless you think a 25 could handle Doug fir and tamarack?
25 ton would be plenty for those. They split way easier than most eastern hardwoods. I did tree work and sold firewood (mostly red maple, ash, red oak, pig and shagbark hickory, sugar maple and white oak) for many years in Ohio and now live and heat with wood, primarily the two you mentioned, in Idaho, just to give you an idea of my credentials. Only reason to go bigger is to get faster cycle time, if that's a concern. I brought my 35 ton splitter out from Ohio and it's way overkill for everything I do here. I plan to modify it with a smaller cylinder and multi split wedge to speed things up.

For the eastern guys here, you should know that there are thousands of folks in the west who split all of their wood every year with an axe. Not a splitting maul, a regular felling axe. The Doug fir, Tamarack (Western Larch) and Lodgepole Pine that make up the bulk of the good firewood in the northern Rockies states all split very easy, compared to almost every eastern hardwood. Imagine exclusively splitting straight grain 12" diameter red oak and you'll have an idea what I mean.

Latest posts

Back