Splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of my splitters have been DIY,, so I can not comment on the fancy "store bought" ones,,

VD6X5AF.jpg

KCrmdjy.jpg

iYWf9pO.jpg

aGFulNl.jpg

I am not looking at this time to buy one but does anyone have an opinion on Northern Tool splitters? In particular I am curious about the difference in the I-beam build between Northern Tool and Tractor Supply. I have heard some people had problems with the way Tractor Supply's I beam with debris jammed in it.

I’ve had good luck with my Northern Tool splitter. I too questioned about debris collecting inside the captive rails on the Tractor Supply offerings, everyone said it was no hinderance at all plus they sell a lot of them.

Nicely done and thought out!
I've never seen anything like it.
It is really a hydraulic press,, that happens to double as a wood splitter.
That is why it has interchangeable attachments, remove the wedge, insert the large mechanical tube.

3QzUSdH.jpg

I had a 16 inch maple stump that I had dug around to a depth of 4 feet, the stump would not budge.
I chained this "splitter" between the stump, and a 24" oak.

Finally, the splitter was able to extract the stump. My biggest concern was stretching the 3/8" chains,,

The machine was built "sideways" mostly to minimize storage space.
If it had been a conventional splitter, it would have probably been stored outside,

N9gyGiC.jpg

I am not looking at this time to buy one but does anyone have an opinion on Northern Tool splitters?
I was at the local Northern store this past week,
They had ZERO splitters,, inside, outside, or in the back lot.

The inside did not even have a place to spot a splitter, if they had one, the store had been re-layed out.
That previously splitter filled space was filled with other merchandise,,
I would be concerned the splitters were discontinued,, Not one in the building??

I was at the local Northern store this past week,
They had ZERO splitters,, inside, outside, or in the back lot.

The inside did not even have a place to spot a splitter, if they had one, the store had been re-layed out.
That previously splitter filled space was filled with other merchandise,,
I would be concerned the splitters were discontinued,, Not one in the building??
It’s been a solid year since I took delivery on mine. Near the end of 2020 I was looking for a splitter, local farm stores didn’t have what I wanted, “logsplitters direct” kept pushing back on the delivery date on a unit that I decided would suit my needs. After 6 or so weeks I cancelled from “logsplitters direct”, called a woman named Loretta up in Minnesota at Northern Tool. I inquired about a 37 ton model and at that time she said she had I believe 93 in stock. Had the unit in my garage in 6 business days. I get their catalogs seems like 3 times a year, can guarantee they have not discontinued their line of splitters.

I am not looking at this time to buy one but does anyone have an opinion on Northern Tool splitters? In particular I am curious about the difference in the I-beam build between Northern Tool and Tractor Supply. I have heard some people had problems with the way Tractor Supply's I beam with debris jammed in it.
The TSC splitters do get lots of debris in the grooves. My splitter was originally a TSC. It's been heavily modified but still retains the original beam and rails, purely because I haven't gotten around to changing them. The hydro system is strong enough that the debris doesn't slow it down, but it is bending the rails. I think whoever designed it was an idiot or had never seen wood split before. That being said, it's built sturdy enough that even with the poorly designed guide system it's still working many cords in. It's all getting cut apart and redone properly in the spring hopefully.

The TSC splitters do get lots of debris in the grooves. My splitter was originally a TSC. It's been heavily modified but still retains the original beam and rails, purely because I haven't gotten around to changing them. The hydro system is strong enough that the debris doesn't slow it down, but it is bending the rails. I think whoever designed it was an idiot or had never seen wood split before. That being said, it's built sturdy enough that even with the poorly designed guide system it's still working many cords in. It's all getting cut apart and redone properly in the spring hopefully.
Thanks for the first hand experience information.

A lot of less expensive horizontal/vertical splitters have the moving wedge captured by flanges on the top of the I beam. My Oregon splitter has them. There's holes for debris to fall out but I still need to clear stuff out manually every once in a while. The other problem with the flanges is that splits of the wrong size and shape get pinched between the flange and the wedge. So far when that happens I have been able to keep going and nothing has gotten bent but that's a possibility.

Higher quality splitters have flat tops on the I beam and the wedge (or better, push block) is held down by rub strips that bolt on.

But I already have this splitter and I'm only burning 2.5-3 cords a year so I don't really need a better one.

I've been using a 37 ton Vert or Horiz N Tools for about 7 years, has Honda auto idle engine, it don't use hardly any gas, ram speed it good and has the auto ram re-tract function and no problems in the woods. will split big tough stuff. I tow the rig to the shop air compressor every once in awhile and use 125 psi air and clean all the debris and give it a grease.
I added about 3 ft extension on the tongue so as it could be backed easier and put a CB antenna on the unit so as I could see it was still behind the truck when towing and as a guide when backing. The hi-way tow speed rating suggestion is around 50MPH but I've towed it 70MPH quite often. I have an old Sears SS16 garden tractor that I use to tow the splitter when into the deep woods and need to do get between trees.

Only problems encountered is NT put it together and they were very weak. they did not tighten the fasters or hose connections. I had to go through all and tighten and re-check all fittings.

If you are going to split really big stuff you will wish that you went ahead and paid more for a power lift function, especially if horizontal only splitter. You will think about such when you go to get out of bed the next mornings after doing a manual workout the day before.

I've been using a 37 ton Vert or Horiz N Tools for about 7 years, has Honda auto idle engine, it don't use hardly any gas, ram speed it good and has the auto ram re-tract function and no problems in the woods. will split big tough stuff. I tow the rig to the shop air compressor every once in awhile and use 125 psi air and clean all the debris and give it a grease.
I added about 3 ft extension on the tongue so as it could be backed easier and put a CB antenna on the unit so as I could see it was still behind the truck when towing and as a guide when backing. The hi-way tow speed rating suggestion is around 50MPH but I've towed it 70MPH quite often. I have an old Sears SS16 garden tractor that I use to tow the splitter when into the deep woods and need to do get between trees.

Only problems encountered is NT put it together and they were very weak. they did not tighten the fasters or hose connections. I had to go through all and tighten and re-check all fittings.

If you are going to split really big stuff you will wish that you went ahead and paid more for a power lift function, especially if horizontal only splitter. You will think about such when you go to get out of bed the next mornings after doing a manual workout the day before.
My Northern Tool 37 ton NorthStar came delivered on a pallet for me to assemble. It was some effort to put together but not a single leak when I was finished.

Outside the Home Depot in New Milford Ct today were 5 new splitters - Some stores have some inventory at least. 33 degrees and raining hard, I didn't wander over to see what they were.

I had a Northern Tool splitter from around 2008 till last year. The first thing I did was replace all the plastic fittings with brass. Never had a problem with it. The 2 way wedge was a little faster than a typical splitter because the retract cycle is largely eliminated. It would split every thing including chinese elm. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again, but hydros are too slow so I replaced it with an electric Super Split. I wasn't worried about the tonnage since most of the wood I split is doug fir and pine. This was my first splitter after splitting many years with an axe or maul. I don't like wasting my life away splitting. Even the two way wedge was too slow. Two seconds vs 8-12 per split was a no brainer. Holy cow is the SS ever fast! I'm almost bummed out now because the splitting gets done too fast-ha! I guess I do enjoy splitting. I think I'll sell a few cords now just because I can. Anyways that's the route I went.

Attachments

• mini-P1010045.JPG
    mini-P1010045.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 8
  • E48B0F8B-D4E1-4C53-A1AB-291B7E8AB8C9.jpeg
    E48B0F8B-D4E1-4C53-A1AB-291B7E8AB8C9.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
5 gallon hydraulic oil @ $60 is also optional
and engine oil.
I also got the optional add on 4 way wedge splitter @ $40.

I've fooled around with working on weak hydraulic's after buying used splitters. Not a fun thing.

Latest posts

Back