Splitting aid pry tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattlt

Reaction score
I'll admit I didn't do a lot of searching on this subject, not really sure what to search on.

I'm looking for a tool to help finish a split. Something that can be inserted into a partially split piece, apply a twist or prying motion, and finish the job. This happens to me on both of my splitters - usually have some stringy stuff holding the pieces together. Trying to pull it apart usually is an effort in futility. End up using an ax or hatchet to chop the pieces apart, which isn't the safest thing to do. Or turning the piece over and trying the split from the other side. Neither is ideal.

I'm picturing something like a pry bar (Wonder bar?) that could be inserted into the split, give it a quick crank sideways (90 degrees to the head), and the piece would come apart. The problem with the commercial Wonder bars is that they aren't quite wide enough and the handle isn't long enough to do the job. Thought about adding a wider edge to one to see if it would work, but wanted to see if I'm reinventing the wheel... Sideways motion on an ax or splitting maul isn't ideal either.

Add a secondary wedge, about two or 3 inches high to the top of your wedge, set back two or 3 inches that doesn’t take a lot of force it’s shears the fibers. Works really well on stringy elm.

also, add some kind of spacers to the flat plate such that the edge of the wedge goes totally passed the end of the log. Many of the box store splitters the wedge stops 2 inches short of the push plate

I've used a pry bar but just end up flipping the split and hitting it again if need be. Seems to be less work.

It's actually pieces that are too tall for the wedge. Yes, I probably need a bigger splitter but that's not in the budget right now.
Understood and I agree it's a problem. I've used a block to push half of the log ahead and tear the strings away from the other half. Also have used a hatchet to chop the strings.

I have placed the cut flat on the splitter beam, run the wedge all the way in, flip it over and repeat. Usually have to take the axe to it to finish.

Do what you have to do. To help my 35T on big wood 24in and bigger I have a 48in buggy axle with a hatchet head welded on one end. I can make it work. Plus my wedge has helper wings welded on it.

Add a secondary wedge, about two or 3 inches high to the top of your wedge, set back two or 3 inches that doesn’t take a lot of force it’s shears the fibers. Works really well on stringy elm.

also, add some kind of spacers to the flat plate such that the edge of the wedge goes totally passed the end of the log. Many of the box store splitters the wedge stops 2 inches short of the push plate
What happened to the edit button? Can’t add pics to original reply.

Attachments

• C4CF94C1-2F5B-43DB-BB0F-889592B9275A.jpeg
    C4CF94C1-2F5B-43DB-BB0F-889592B9275A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 1F4228F3-5295-4763-A6EF-AFA8AF508683.jpeg
    1F4228F3-5295-4763-A6EF-AFA8AF508683.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
  • 65DC75BA-8AC1-4A6B-A558-D7B4C97CEACE.jpeg
    65DC75BA-8AC1-4A6B-A558-D7B4C97CEACE.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 41B49F18-E6B7-4E7A-9089-2211850712FD.jpeg
    41B49F18-E6B7-4E7A-9089-2211850712FD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • 6D39A578-D91E-4724-B651-46D94C290F20.jpeg
    6D39A578-D91E-4724-B651-46D94C290F20.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
The pic shows what I called in my post wings When I take the time to learn how to post pictures Old dogs new trick thing

Pics are easy to attach. At least easy for me when I’m using my phone. There’s a button just below this box attach files and then you go to your photo files then grab a picture.
Now I know that the edit button times out that’s good knowledge.

Here's what I do:
Turn the log around, so you are splitting from the other end. And, turn it 1/4 turn. It now it makes into 4 quarters. While the log is on the splitter, pull the quarter slices off.
Or
Throw it on the ground, and split it the old way, with a maul. It's pretty easy, as the splitter has already done the hard part, in breaking it open.
Or
Pull the ram on the splitter all the way back. Leave the end of the log in place on the butt, or stopper end of the splitter. Move the wedge end sideways, so the log is cocked at an angle, in the splitter. Push the hydraulic ram again, to start another split, 1 to 2" away, and parallel with the first split. It will often pop the hanging log apart, without making another split, or while making another split.
A video would help.
Wood has to be read, and dis-assembled, in accord with the lay of the particular piece.
Thanks,
Nate

He is pic of my wedge. About a 5or 6in add on going down to the heavy channel welded on for a much larger footprint. With all the Big stuff loggers rejection i had to do something. 697DBBBB-6909-4905-A05D-C3F168F27504.jpeg

Latest posts

Back