Splitting axe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a bad arm/shoulder so bought a splitter for a little over $1000US.
But I still have my generic 8lb Maul which I used for years.
I got a good bastard file to make it's edge useful since after about a cord the Maul became bouncy.

It seems from these response the Fiskars holds up well. How about after sharpening.
I would think this is where the more expensive tools come in to their own.
I like having a fiberglass handle, it does reduce the feedback I got when I used wood handle axes.

Now looking for a better forestry Axe to take down smaller trees so I don't have to bring a saw with me on the tractor so much.

Good luck with the Fiskars Tobbe, hope it lasts you a good long time. Nice looking axe.

I still use my Fiskars a fair amount, but I've never had to sharpen it. I have a Council Boys ax that I use for Kindling, driving wedges, removing small limbs, and removing really small trees/saplings. If it's going to take more than a couple of swings to remove the tree, I use this 10" folding pull saw instead. I was amazed at how quickly it cuts, and how little effort it requires to use. I know there are a couple of other brands out there that are supposed to be better, but for under $25 I really like this one.

Just buy them all and write a review after trying them out!

Seriously though, I would tend towards the Gransfors maul paired with the small splitting axe. Very high quality. The maul will split the big logs and the axe will split the smaller ones. With good technique you will be able to swing the maul without a problem.

PS. Welcome to AS!
Its what I use for 18" rounds and some of it is god awful knotty.

I just bought some wood, and now I need an axe to split it.

View attachment 901807

I'm burning 20" pieces of wood, and if my calculations are correct that wood in the photo will be about 1.5 cords when it's all split and stacked.

What axe would you recommend I get? I'm not a very big guy, 150 lbs, 5'9". I've looked at the Fiskars x25 and x27, the Husqvarna S2800, the Gränsfors Bruk Large splitting axe, their splitting maul and the Small splitting axe. Where I live, the price of them all is close enough to not be a major factor in the decision. So I'm just looking at the best tool for the job.

So, what do you suggest I buy? Thanks!

//Tobbe
Welcome to AS
You're a young guy so you should have no problems swinging an axe all day.
Simon has a good plan, maul and axe.
Also find a large hardwood stump like a big Maple round to set the blocks on to make it easier on your swing. you can also do the old tire trick to save bending and splits flying away.
I'd look around for an electric splitter too that way you can split indoors in inclement weather.
Good luck and show us what you buy.
My axe and maul.jpg0603823_1.jpg

Back