Splitting axe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the next one up off the end of that tree that fell over. have a few blocks setting near where I stack for when I drag logs there, but this one was too big to drag so I was just working down the log.

I agree with your math however it is not always physically possible to swing a 36" tool as fast as a 28" tool. And with the modern light splitting tools, speed is what gets the work done.
Think I have to agree with this and even when I said the Husky was a heavier duty splitter I honestly don't think I notice that much difference between using that and the X25 probably with a faster swing which equates to about the same splitting ability ... I take the 2 out and when I get the ***** that won't split with the X25 have picked up the Husky and I'm really not convinced it makes a real difference as either the log will split relatively easily or it won't ... something I scrounged recently virtually blunted the Husky with about 6 attempts to split it and it just bounced off and has damaged the edge when it's virtually brand new.

I've quite a lot to split over the next couple of weeks and will try all 3 back to back (have the X27 as well) and report but may be a week or so, when I find the one I like best I'll e-bay the others as 2nd hand.

Just the next one up off the end of that tree that fell over. have a few blocks setting near where I stack for when I drag logs there, but this one was too big to drag so I was just working down the log.
Yeah I do the same , since the majority of my firewood is hardwood , oak , maple or Ironwood & ash . I like a nice short but stout splitting block . Nice size logs you have there . Enjoy the fresh air !

20210422_143510.jpg

Got the last of the wood delivered now. Those are all 10 - 13 ft long.

Also ordered an axe. I decided to go with the Fiskars x25. But apparently everyone is out chopping wood, because they were out of stock everywhere :( Expected delivery is 14 days from now. I saw some reviews saying the edge of the axe got dull really fast, so I also ordered Fiskar's axe (and knife) sharpening tool.

View attachment 903200

Got the last of the wood delivered now. Those are all 10 - 13 ft long.

Also ordered an axe. I decided to go with the Fiskars x25. But apparently everyone is out chopping wood, because they were out of stock everywhere :( Expected delivery is 14 days from now. I saw some reviews saying the edge of the axe got dull really fast, so I also ordered Fiskar's axe (and knife) sharpening tool.
Good choice.

The tip of the cutting edge is hardened and will hold an edge pretty well. Once you wear that away over time the steel beneath it is softer.

My X27 has developed a rounded leading edge because I split on the ground. Although I don’t use that one much any more, it’s probably split 50 cords now so it’s paid for itself many times over.

ordered Fiskar's axe (and knife) sharpening tool.
I find the sharpening tool extremely light duty and cheap feeling. I think I still have mine somewhere and it's never been used. I've split many cords of wood on the ground (guessing less than 50, though not a lot less) so it shows some wear but is still quite effective.

Went to the hardware store the other day, and happened to see this one. Hadn't seen it before. Anyone of you recognize it?

20210506_090511.jpg

20210503_120511.jpg

It looks very similar to the Fiskars, with a hollow handle and everything. And it's the same price as the Fiskars too. But the sharp edge of the head is a little longer.

Went to the hardware store the other day, and happened to see this one. Hadn't seen it before. Anyone of you recognize it?

View attachment 905538

View attachment 905539

It looks very similar to the Fiskars, with a hollow handle and everything. And it's the same price as the Fiskars too. But the sharp edge of the head is a little longer.
I'd be very curious to see where it was made......

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

All USA made of quality forged steel and premium #1 grade hickory handles

1) Council Tool Firemans 6lb 36" handle. Big

View attachment 905689

2) Council Tool Jersey Classic 3 1/2 lb 32" handle. Smaller, can get 36" handle

View attachment 905690

3) Council Tool Velvicut #4 4lb 36" handle . The be$t

View attachment 905691

4) Council Tool 8lb sledge eye maul 36" handle. For big narly stuff and driving wedges

1 Council Tool 8lb sledge eye maul 36" handle.png

View attachment 905538

View attachment 905539

If you're not sure, who, what, why, where it was made / came from but you're tempted to buy it beacuse it looks like a Fiskars and about the same price ..... why not just buy the Fiskars and take any question of if it's decent or a cheap copy out of the equation?

If you're not sure, who, what, why, where it was made / came from but you're tempted to buy it beacuse it looks like a Fiskars and about the same price ..... why not just buy the Fiskars and take any question of if it's decent or a cheap copy out of the equation?

I already did buy the Fiskars, as you can see from my photo earlier in the thread. I was just curious when I found a new axe I hadn't seen before

Here's the photo again, in case you missed it last time around

20210507_202852.jpg

All USA made of quality forged steel and premium #1 grade hickory handles

1) Council Tool Firemans 6lb 36" handle. Big

View attachment 905689

2) Council Tool Jersey Classic 3 1/2 lb 32" handle. Smaller, can get 36" handle

View attachment 905690

3) Council Tool Velvicut #4 4lb 36" handle . The be$t

View attachment 905691

4) Council Tool 8lb sledge eye maul 36" handle. For big narly stuff and driving wedges

View attachment 905692
Avoid a "Sledge Eye? maul at all costs. I have/had one that I used for several years. A handle would last maybe 2 seasons before it broke completely at the base of the head. This is without EVER having ANY over strikes. I finally got tired of replacing the handle so I ground down a 1" bolt, welded it into the eye, and then welded that into a 36" piece of 1" black pipe. No more busted handles... By contrast, my dad has an 8 lb sledge that I used for several years, and it still has the original handle and is still in good shape. On a maul, you want an eye that fits a handle like this.

https://www.baileysonline.com/replacement-hickory-maul-handle-15754.html
I'm in my mid 40s now, and I've been splitting firewood since I was a teenager. Generally, I split around 6 cords per year, mostly hickory. The man who thought me how to split was in his 80's when I got my drivers license. He was like an adopted grandpa to me. He wasn't very tall, and he wasn't a big man, but I rarely saw him need to hit a piece of firewood twice. The biggest trick to splitting a piece of firewood is learning where to hit it. That means being able to look at the grain and identify weak points that you can exploit. The second biggest trick is actually being able to hit those spots. I would argue that a 36" handle will ALWAYS allow you to hit the wood harder, but a shorter handle will allow you to be more accurate. The extra power doesn't do you much good if it isn't applied to the correct spot on the firewood.

Different axe heads are designed to be swung different ways. A Fiskars and a Maul are both designed to come straight down on the firewood, like swinging a sledge hammer. Most traditional axe heads are designed to hit the wood at a slight angle. This "pops" the grain apart better, and keeps the axe head from sticking. Having said all that, I bought an X27 about 7 years ago, and it quickly became my favorite splitting tool. If 2 or 3 hits from my X27 doesn't do anything, I'll give it a few whacks with a maul and then its time to make the noodles.

In all reality, I would recommend that you start looking for a used hydraulic splitter. I always used to split by hand because I could always out pace someone using a hydraulic splitter. After years of abusing my body, it has become apparent that I should have made wiser choices with regards to what kinds of tools and equipment I should have invested in. At this point, anything more than a few swings with a maul, and my right arm is useless and in pain for a few MONTHS. I can run an axe for a little while without a problem, but I still have to be careful. I picked up a used 27 ton splitter in decent shape for under $500 and it's one of the best firewood investments I've made. Hydraulic splitters require very little maintenance, and last for a LONG, LONG time. It may not be in the budget right now, but start saving your pennies up for one. They are MUCH cheaper than rotator cuff surgery....

I just bought some wood, and now I need an axe to split it.

View attachment 901807

I'm burning 20" pieces of wood, and if my calculations are correct that wood in the photo will be about 1.5 cords when it's all split and stacked.

What axe would you recommend I get? I'm not a very big guy, 150 lbs, 5'9". I've looked at the Fiskars x25 and x27, the Husqvarna S2800, the Gränsfors Bruk Large splitting axe, their splitting maul and the Small splitting axe. Where I live, the price of them all is close enough to not be a major factor in the decision. So I'm just looking at the best tool for the job.

So, what do you suggest I buy? Thanks!

//Tobbe
First Post 👋. The Fisker splits Great. The neighbor gave me a No Name 4.5# single dit W/ phantom bevels and that was a game changer for me I noticed a slight vibration and found a slight crack in the handle So gave a try and made my own handle with the grain slight offset to give a little Flex. I have a couple Double Bit and the OL faithful Fireman Axe that is also good for splitting

Attachments

• B607ECCF-F497-43E3-A090-80D71F7D85DA.jpeg
    B607ECCF-F497-43E3-A090-80D71F7D85DA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • F94514B1-E1CB-4C7E-8E0B-6FF99C477FF7.jpeg
    F94514B1-E1CB-4C7E-8E0B-6FF99C477FF7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • E182F2E0-6BCD-4EF3-A93F-A9B0C68A5F05.jpeg
    E182F2E0-6BCD-4EF3-A93F-A9B0C68A5F05.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back