Splitting pine..never again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’re talking about keeping the gum? I don’t have anywhere left to put it and I don’t like burning it. My stove is top load and the fluffy ash goes airborne. I won’t use my stove in the shoulder season, Heat pump is easier.
I'd go that route if it was an option, if I did I likely wouldn't light a fire till it got into the 30 overnight lol

I've been cutting a lot of ash and splitting a lot of ash but I have these 2 dead pretty big pine of some sort trees in my front yard. The wife wants them gone so I took the smaller one down yesterday and limbed it and cut it up. I went to split it today and what a pain in the a$$. It's all twisted with knots every where and the sap is ridiculous. I have maybe a half a face cord split in the time I could have split a full cord of ash. I'm sending the larger tree into the woods and never looking back. I hate to waste wood but what a nightmare
Pine will bust right in half if it don’t have knots which I would suggest let it sit for a little bit cause since it’s softwood your axe will get buried in it and get stuck if the log was just cut

One of my neighbors had a pine tree that was laying on the ground for a long time. They asked me to cut it up and haul it off. It was a good sized log and full of pitch. It split very easy and made some great starter wood for my wood stove. I ended up getting over a cord of great starter wood. That was 4 years ago and I'm still using it to start my wood stove.
All I need is one match to get the pine started. Not all pine has a lot of pitch. You can force a pine tree to produce a lot of pitch if you beat on the tree and scar it up a few years before you cut it down.

I've been cutting a lot of ash and splitting a lot of ash but I have these 2 dead pretty big pine of some sort trees in my front yard. The wife wants them gone so I took the smaller one down yesterday and limbed it and cut it up. I went to split it today and what a pain in the a$$. It's all twisted with knots every where and the sap is ridiculous. I have maybe a half a face cord split in the time I could have split a full cord of ash. I'm sending the larger tree into the woods and never looking back. I hate to waste wood but what a nightmare.
I have an Eastern White Pine that's about 60' tall with a base about 36" in diameter to remove next spring so I can build the garage there. Will get the excavator to remover the stump.
That'll be fun. [Not]

I have an Eastern White Pine that's about 60' tall with a base about 36" in diameter to remove next spring so I can build the garage there. Will get the excavator to remover the stump.
That'll be fun. [Not]
I was digging out loads of stumps that size with a kx40 mini this spring at my mom and dad's place. The biggest issue was the machine was too small to pick the root ball up, had to roll them out of the hole, then take them away with the loader.

Looks like some type of spruce. Those branches act like bolts going through the wood and as you know make it a bugger to split. My wanna try making some of those campfire wood candles out of them if you can get them good and dry. If you don't mind noodling that would work too.
Yes this tree looks like what we call blue spruce out here, Mucho Limbs that take forever to clear off, I have cut and burned a lot of it though. I prefer Aspen because the limbs are towards the top of the tree and you have a long trunk that is clear of limbs, It is not a hard wood but it doesn't seem to burn much different than the Pines or the Spruce.

Lol down here it's a sin to burn soft woods. Heck most folks around here only want red oak. "Pine is a no no it will soot up the chimney." I have found that it burns ok if it has a full year to dry and don't leave it in the yard the humidity and summer heat will cause it to get punky by the end of summer. Folk around here are spoiled. No white oak no ash no elm no sweet gum. Just red oak. Finding just red oak trees is getting to be harder to do and then they only want to pay you 150 for a full cord. I won't touch crap for 150. If it's their tree I still charge 200 for cutting and splitting and stacking. My tree 250 mixed wood 300 red oak.

Lol down here it's a sin to burn soft woods. Heck most folks around here only want red oak. "Pine is a no no it will soot up the chimney." I have found that it burns ok if it has a full year to dry and don't leave it in the yard the humidity and summer heat will cause it to get punky by the end of summer. Folk around here are spoiled. No white oak no ash no elm no sweet gum. Just red oak. Finding just red oak trees is getting to be harder to do and then they only want to pay you 150 for a full cord. I won't touch crap for 150. If it's their tree I still charge 200 for cutting and splitting and stacking. My tree 250 mixed wood 300 red oak.
My cheap White Mountain Oak is $650 to $750 a cord. Very select with no limbs or or small chunks is $800. Pine $380 to $450 or Fir a little less. Thanks

Wow folks around here would stroke if I told them 600 for a full cord. But as you know it's worth it. Your working yourself to death for 300 a cord. I try to get about 5 extra cords a year and if I can sell it I will if not that's my wood for next year. I'm not killing my back or my knees to meet someone's firewood needs for 150 bucks a cord split and stacked lol and probably they want it delivered.

Always find it interesting how different areas price out cord wood.
I really agree. We are mostly a resort area that is very prestigious but the local economy is at least some what based upon our Air B&B market. so with higher gas prices people just have not been coming up to vacation. Our over all market has been down by 80% this past year. Fewer people doing business and fewer customers so prices still quite high. No matter how hard I try my profit margin is still between $20 and $30 an hour. A windfall comes along now and then with an extra $100 bonus but still really hard work. Thanks

Latest posts

Back